• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'04 Avalanche - AC Hot but vehicle restart resets controls and then gets cold?

BAS-Sr

My wife has a nice '04 Avalanche Z-71, overall in extremely good condition, ~110k miles.

This summer it has an issue with climate controlled air conditioning. When you are driving and turn the air conditioning on, it starts to blow hot air as if it is set for heating even though the control is set for 60 degree's, this is only on the driver side control does not happen for the passengers side? If you stop and re-start the vehicle, it resets the control and then blows cold air.

Not sure where to start diagnosing the issue about what is causing this?

Any suggestions?

Believe it or not, I started experiencing the same issue first part of July. Everything would start out normal, and then all of a sudden driver's vents are pushing full hot while passenger are pushing full cold.
Does not matter what the temp setting is for the driver's side.
Here's another fun fact; I tried pulling the fuses in the panel on the side of the dash to try a reset, and with it running, pulling either one or both the system did not shut down!!
A truck restart did restore normal operation, but it occurred again a few days later. Not fun when the outside temp is 100. Hasn't happened in the past few weeks. :E: :E:

Sounds like an issue with the blend door. Could need to be relearned or looking at replacing components soon.

Rodney

Just fixed mine last weekend.  Its the blend door actuator, $150 part at O'reilly's.  Kind of a b#tch to get the panel off to get access to it so I haven't put it back on yet.

bgnAV05 said:
Just fixed mine last weekend.  Its the blend door actuator, $150 part at O'reilly's.  Kind of a b#tch to get the panel off to get access to it so I haven't put it back on yet.

Here is what I am trying to figure out at this point:

Is there one Blend Door for both sides or is there one for the drivers side and one for the passengers side. From what I see for parts listings, seems like there is one for both sides.
If there are two separate sides, where is the blend door for the drivers side? I posted a YouTube I found about doing a '99-'07 Silverado, is that where the blend actuator is?

BAS-Sr said:
Here is what I am trying to figure out at this point:

Is there one Blend Door for both sides or is there one for the drivers side and one for the passengers side. From what I see for parts listings, seems like there is one for both sides.
If there are two separate sides, where is the blend door for the drivers side? I posted a YouTube I found about doing a '99-'07 Silverado, is that where the blend actuator is?

That's where its at on the avalanche as well.  I'm pretty sure he had that last bolt on the cover out already for the video because its not that easy.

bgnAV05 said:
That's where its at on the avalanche as well.  I'm pretty sure he had that last bolt on the cover out already for the video because its not that easy.

Yup, I checked out the cover on my wife's and that cover bolt in the center is tucked up under part of the console, which will be a real PITA to get out, but getting it back in will be even worse!

So once the cover is off, the blend actuator is right there like the video shows?

I found a new blend actuator on eBay fairly reasonably priced. Does not provide a brand?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HVAC-Heater-Blend-Door-Actuator-Chevy-Yukon-Suburban-Avalanche-Chevrolet-GMC/371991409402?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

BAS-Sr said:
Yup, I checked out the cover on my wife's and that cover bolt in the center is tucked up under part of the console, which will be a real PITA to get out, but getting it back in will be even worse!
Time consuming to be sure.. I left the bolt out on mine when I put mine back together when I replaced the blower/fan. Probably could leave the whole bottom cover off if you wanted too but I just left the one really hard to get to bolt out.

Rodney

Any opinions on the replacements? Looks like the AC Delco are the most expensive, then the Standard and Dorman are more reasonable, also found some of these OEM replacements like this one and the one I posted in the previous reply:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Actuator-Air-Door-Vent-Fits-Escalade-Avalanche-Corvette-Silverado-Sierra/252989977639?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I know you get what you pay for, just wondering if anyone has used these cheaper ones and what success they have had?

Just got mine from O'Reillys.  Also this tool helped get that bolt out.  https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/ultrasteel-5143/tools---equipment-16488/tools-17919/hand-tools-16814/sockets-16637/socket-u-joint-extension-adapter-18025/u-joint/uc8692tb/4772768

Is there any reason that low freon would have an impact on the operation/calibration to this?

I noticed that the AC was not as cold as it should be, been a few years since I added any R-134A, the compressor seemed like it cycling on/off. Added a can and the cycling stopped, wife drove it to work and said it blew cold all the way, so I am wondering if that has any impact on the operation/calibration of the blend actuator?

Ugh, I still have bad memories of a Saturday lost to the blend door in my Jetta. Took forever to get in there after removing the center console, shifter assembly and pretend my hands were far smaller than they are.  I used aluminum tape to cover the holes.

Db-w

Crap!  This job isn't that bad.  Just the one bolt over the transmission tunnel is the pain.  That tool I listed made it a lot easier.  Also, make sure the old one is in the same position as the new one before you remove it.  I had to move my temp up and down to get it to center.  It was fluctuating back and forth and when it hit center I turned off the key.

bgnAV05 said:
Crap!  This job isn't that bad.  Just the one bolt over the transmission tunnel is the pain.  That tool I listed made it a lot easier.  Also, make sure the old one is in the same position as the new one before you remove it.  I had to move my temp up and down to get it to center.  It was fluctuating back and forth and when it hit center I turned off the key.

Can you explain a little more explicitly about what controls you were adjusting to get the blend actuator centered? I understand why, just not sure what you mean "move my temp up and down"? My wife's Avalanche has the CJ2 Automatic Controls, so do I make the temperature the same on both sides to get the blend actuator centered? Or would it be just as easy to make/put the new one in the same position?

I have the auto controls as well.  I was adjusting the driver side temperature knob to get it to center.  I put a mirror down so I can see when it hit center and turned off the key. 

BAS-Sr said:
Got the new Blend Actuator yesterday, going to put it in but before I do, one last question?

Do you NEED to do a calibration of the actuator after you put it in?

Yes, the computer won't know its position otherwise.

BAS-Sr said:
Got the new Blend Actuator yesterday, going to put it in but before I do, one last question?

Do you NEED to do a calibration of the actuator after you put it in?

I didn't have to.  That's the reason you put the old one in the same position as the new one.  In my case the new one was set in the middle so i moved my old one until it was in the middle.  Its working great.

PerfectReign said:
good to know. how many hours?

About 1 1/2 all together. Not bad, just getting to the screw holding the cover up under the dash that is hidden by the console is a pain, also the screw holding the actuator on the side is also a pain. My hands have arthritis so this was most of the problem.

They can be opened up and the grease cleaned from the contacts for a grand total cost of $0
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CAFCNA/permalink/10154495739547022/

Back