• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Power steering leak FINALLY fixed!!

CarMech1969

Hello there again members of CAFCNA!
Hope you're all enjoying the summer so far  :B:

The other day, I changed the power steering line that runs from the Hydroboost unit to the steering gear, as fluid could be seen dripping in that general area, and the metal end of that line looked wet.
However, it appears that the problem still exists. I had checked on here yesterday for ideas, and I'm seeing that the coolers like to rust out. So I had a look at mine, and it doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere.
I took a quick peek underneath the truck today, and fluid can be seen dripping off the Pitman arm and general vicinity.

Do you guys think that pulling the box down and throwing a seal kit at it is a good next step?
Was wondering if anyone here in this forum has experienced this issue, and has taken apart and reassembled one of these things.
I'm just really tired of the oil drip in the driveway. Lol!
Any advice and guidance that you might have is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, guys - and have a good day!

CarMech1969

I would try the seal kit, but when I had mine out it had too much slop in it so I just replaced it. I did not to play with the adjuster for fear it would start binding.

MS03 2500 said:
I would try the seal kit, but when I had mine out it had too much slop in it so I just replaced it. I did not to play with the adjuster for fear it would start binding.

You had a lot of free play in the steering wheel? Is that what you mean by slop??

Yeah it was free play, but it was worn parts. Reach up and grab the center link and see if you move it up and down. I believe also there is a bushing that wears out. I know the front ends on these trucks are good for 100,000 miles then they need to be rebuilt.

Thanks MS03 2500 for your reply.

I am monitoring the power steering fluid level to see if the leaking has stopped, since changing the hose.

So far it looks like nothing has changed.

The thing that irks me about working on cars these days is that every damn time you turn around, you need a special tool for something.

Making what should be a simple repair turn into an adventure. Such as my harmonic balancer swap! Lol! Couldn't find the tool anywhere locally, so ended up fabricating a tool.

So I've been a little hesitant about pulling the steering gear down, and plopping it on the bench.

Just seems like everything I touch these days goes south on me, and end up having the goose chase every time!!

Maybe when I'm feeling braver.

Thanks again, my friend!  :cheers:

CarMech1969

I recently changed the steering gear box on my 02.  Very easy job.  I figured what the hell, I will change the pump at the same time.  After putting everything back together, I had a leak.  Figured I pinched an o-ring so I pulled the hoses and replaced, nope, still leaking.  Finally after several months and lots of PS fluid, I put the old pump back on.  No more leaks.  The new pump was leaking between the pump and the reservoir. :E:

Wickman:

Yeah that figures. The new parts are often worse than the old ones!!  >:D

Which is why I am thinking to throw a seal kit at the steering gear, rather than simply replacing the steering gear entirely - as it is spendy for a new one, and a seal kit is only $15.

Was just curious about the feasibility of tearing it down, changing the seals, and reassembling it.

According to sources that I have checked, it isn't too terrible of a job. Thinking maybe someone here has tried this before. I recall Durwin's thread about this exact same issue, but the thread is old and he hasn't chimed in about it since.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.

CarMech1969

Wow, the cheapest steering box on Amazon is over $300, I paid $174 delivered for mine less than 2 years ago. :eek:

UPDATE:

Today, I dropped the steering gear down, cleaned it up, and replaced the seals for the Pitman arm shaft and the steering input shaft on the bench.
It wasn't too terrible of a job, but a little time consuming. I was a bit fearful of scratching the bore and the shaft for the Pitman arm, when extracting the old seals. The retainer clip was broken. The outer seal was in upside down. Looks like this may have been switched out before when you see stuff like that. The Pitman arm was a bugger to come off. I actually blew a couple of chunks out of the bench vise with my grandfather's old sledgehammer when I was givin' 'er  :oops: lol. Damn that sledge is built like a tank!!
Anyhow, she's all back together, and so far, so good. Hopefully the leak doesn't come back anytime soon!!

CarMech1969

Well, it looks like the steering gear is still leaking. It takes a long while for the level to drop, however.
Must have missed something when I had it apart. Perhaps another o-ring that goes around the piece that the input shaft goes through? I dunno. Anyway, no big deal. It serves as automatic undercoating  >:D

CarMech1969

A little update on this situation:

When I was under the truck to do a pan drop and change the transmission filter, I had a look at the steering gear area, and it looked like power steering fluid was leaking off the pressure hose leading from the power steering pump to the Hydroboost unit - right where the hard line joins to the rubber section at the pump end of it. I blew off everything around there with compressed air to dry off everything, thinking to myself I'll keep an eye on it (finally found the problem)...Nope!
Peeked under the truck yesterday with a flashlight, and fluid is still dripping, but I can't tell from where. The hoses that I dried up with the air still look dry. Power steering pump is dry, steering gear seems like it's not leaking.
I cannot freking SEE where this leak is coming from. At this point, not sure what to do. Was thinking to replace the pressure hose anyway to see if that fixes it.
Any ideas on how to locate this SOB leak would be awesome.
Take care guys!

CarMech1969

It's your hydoboost unit leaking, mine leaks and I'm replacing it this weekend.

ronthehandymanga said:
It's your hydoboost unit leaking, mine leaks and I'm replacing it this weekend.

That was the first thing that was changed when I first bought the truck. It was visibly dripping with the engine running, and I pointed it out to the former owner. He had it replaced for me, so that was pretty cool.
I ordered a new pump-to-Hydroboost hose from RockAuto. The connection near the power steering pump seems a little bit sketchy. It seems to 'click' or 'rattle' sometimes if one puts a finger on it. I don't know how else to explain it.
Anyhow, we'll see what happens when the parts arrive.

CarMech1969

UPDATE:

Today, I switched out the power steering pressure hose that runs from the pump to the Hydroboost unit. So now - all the hoses are new, and the steering gear seals I had changed earlier this year. I'll continue to monitor the leak. I did have it parked on the road for about half an hour and I didn't notice any drip spots on the asphalt. Monday will be the true confirmation, when I park my truck at work all day....as it likes to leave a little spot of PSF when it has been sitting a while.

Switched out the starter as well, while I had the truck lifted. The rebuilt starter I put in not this past summer but the summer before has always been a little quirky. It doesn't work good at all - seems like it draws too much current.
Well, what a world of difference that made! Starts like a new truck now  :D

Happy weekend all!!

CarMech1969

Good day folks,

I am pleased to report that that pesky son of a gun power steering leak has finally dried up. :woohoo:
Last night, I had the Avy parked over a big sheet of cardboard to see if it would typically leave a silver dollar sized spot of PSF that it likes to do every day.
Well, this morning I checked the cardboard and found a tiny spot about the size of a dime. I smelled it and it's engine oil. Just a few drips from somewhere. No big deal. Engine oil is way cheaper than PSF  >:D
Also, the new starter motor works as it should, so I'm hoping it stays that way a while.
One of these eons, when I find a microsecond or two of spare time - I will investigate the 'Security' light staying on all the time. More of an annoyance than anything else. Anyways, it's nearly Christmas - so I'll just let it shine :D
And as I said before - when I find out what's going on with this pointless Passlock system, I'll be sure to check in and let you all know.

Thanks all for your time  :B:

CarMech1969

Back