• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking to Purchase 2004 Z66

Robalanche

Hello All,

I am looking into buying a 2004 Z66 with 168k miles for $4300. Any thoughts? I am checking her out today. I really like these engines and it was a toss up between Z66 and a Silverado HD. This would be my first truck as I am coming from the Pontiac world. I do my own maintenance and plan on continuing. Anything I should look out for when purchasing? I know about the basic stuff like head gasket issues, transmission and cooling problem signs etc.

First welcome to the website!

As with any 13 to 14 year old vehicle age and conditions, neglect or abuse can had it's toll with the vehicle. You can' trust Carfax to give you a complete history of a vehicle since if an owner fixes things himself or at a small independent garage things may not show up on the report about accident or flooding damage.
I would definitely look under the AV for signs of rust especially if it has lower cladding since that can hide rust down low near the wheel wells due to water or road salts. You may also have rusted brake and fuel lines if the AV was owned in the snow belt states.
Assuming the suspension is in good shape you will be surprised that the AV has a much more luxurious ride compared to a Silverado since the AV is built from the Suburban and has a more SUV then truck ride quality.
Good luck with your search for the perfect AV.

It also depends on what you are going to use the truck for. There is a world of difference between a z66 AV and a Silverado HD. What state do you live in ???

Went to check out a 2004 avalanche yesterday and it said 136k salvage title. It had some small bruises and ran great and I was very happy and was ready to leave a deposit to have Lemon Squad check it out. Then I went home checked the carfax and found that the last mileage reported was 193k earlier this year. I called the guy and told him I was no longer interested and he asked why and i told him because of the mileage. He pretended to be shocked and said he would return it because that is how he bought it from the auction. So I left it at that. But I was thinking no he had to have rolled the miles back or got a new cluster with low miles because how would they report 193k at the sale if the miles wasn't displayed on the cluster. Shady characters. It has been very difficult finding avalanches in my price range 5k. I found a couple more and will continue to do the carfax but carfax's are not cheap.

Glad you pass on it, never buy a car with a salvage title. Someone probably pieced it together in their garage.  They are hundreds if not thousands of them out there and you can never tell what was wrong with them.

Well if you do find another Z66 with low miles and you don't need off road, you will love it. Had mine for over 15 years now, but then again it only has 129K miles and a ton of mods.

Ok thanks Gents. I finally found another one with 120k miles 2004. I am picking it up today. I can't wait. He was asking 5800 but I talked him down to $5000. I have plans for her already, lol. Intake, flowmaster, double din bluetooth stereo, lol. I will post pictures after I get her washed.

Robalanche said:
Ok thanks Gents. I finally found another one with 120k miles 2004. I am picking it up today. I can't wait. He was asking 5800 but I talked him down to $5000. I have plans for her already, lol. Intake, flowmaster, double din bluetooth stereo, lol. I will post pictures after I get her washed.
I've done all that to mine. Do the long tube headers.  (y)

Robalanche said:
Went to check out a 2004 avalanche yesterday and it said 136k salvage title. It had some small bruises and ran great and I was very happy and was ready to leave a deposit to have Lemon Squad check it out. Then I went home checked the carfax and found that the last mileage reported was 193k earlier this year. I called the guy and told him I was no longer interested and he asked why and i told him because of the mileage. He pretended to be shocked and said he would return it because that is how he bought it from the auction. So I left it at that. But I was thinking no he had to have rolled the miles back or got a new cluster with low miles because how would they report 193k at the sale if the miles wasn't displayed on the cluster. Shady characters. It has been very difficult finding avalanches in my price range 5k. I found a couple more and will continue to do the carfax but carfax's are not cheap.
  yeah he is a lier he changed out the cluster on it...  it's common thing scammers do to   good thing you did a car fax

Back