• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Touch Up Paint Brush vs Duplicolor Scratch Fix

Night0wl

I am assuming most of us have rock ships, scratches etc that we would like to touch up.
I have used the Duplicolor Scratch Fix option on many other vehicles.  Cant say I have used the scratch tip that much but I did use the pen option, the brush and the clear coat.
sG4Eqpp.jpg

I often found it hard to get real good control with the brush and the pen didn't work that well either.  the clear coat applicator was ok.
Having my Avalanche for two weeks now and having waxed it yesterday I was able to see all of the chips I really did have on my truck.
After having no luck at either AZ or AA finding a Duplicolor Scratch Fix color match for my Avalanche with GM paint Code 817K (wasn't even an option in the Duplicolor book)  I asked the AZ guy where the nearest auto paint store was.  Turns out it was just around the corner.
I am glad I went there because I found a product that I believe will help someone else suffering from the same issues I have.
gj0c110.jpg

The product is called E-Z Dabber by EZ Mix.  www.Ezmix.com
This little applicator allows for really good control on applying your paint touch ups for those chips and other areas.
I felt like I could hit the chip target better, with more control and it looked better after the application.  You can control how much paint you put on it by how much you saturate the end.  I have not used it for much scratch work but for rock chips and general chips it works fantastic!
I have tried so many home options with little success.  (toothpick, not enough surface area to hold the paint... Q-Tip, not fine enough and sometimes holds to much paint.... rolled up end of a paper towel, not stable enough.... a fine paint brush, to expensive and clean up if you want to reuse.)
KXfcxn1.jpg

I was able to get my color match made up and a tube of 40 of these dabbers for $20.  I believe the Duplicolor Scratch Fix is $15-16. 
Good thing is you can use these applicators for other jobs not like the Duplicolor which is just for that one color etc.
Plus you can use these things for fine glue applications etc.
Thought I would pass this product along.  Many websites have them and the EZ Mix website is $11.22 for a tube of 40.  It was $10 at the auto paint store.
Hope these helps someone else out.  They sure helped me.

I wonder how good it would be for metallics. Yeah I have a couple of them and one long on from when I got a little to close when I was parking the motorcycle.

MS03 2500 said:
I wonder how good it would be for metallics. Yeah I have a couple of them and one long on from when I got a little to close when I was parking the motorcycle.
Not sure but if you got good paint and the metallic's mixed well I believe it would do a good job.
I haven't tried it on deep scratches yet.
There may be better alternatives on the market for scratches.
I found this works best for the chips that every vehicle seems to have.

Do you have a clear coat application to apply over the paint?  Just curious as I am getting ready to purchase and have been exploring all options.  I like this option a lot, but I would also like the clear coat to apply afterwards.  I found a GM pen w/ paint and clear coat for my Bermuda Blue and it was around $15.

Back