• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Line-X on Cladding? 2008 LTZ

JohnnieMo

SM 2017
PM 2014
SM 2013
Has anyone got experience on using different products such as Line-X coatings on the Avalanche cladding?  My 2008 needs a bunch of exterior work and I have been considering doing the entire truck in Line-X coating.  However the local shop tells me that nothing will stick to the cladding.  In his words, Line-X won't stick to plastic.  This is in contradiction to a pile of pictures and videos I've found on the internet, including this CAFCNA member:

B7LzNNdIAAAV6Jg.jpg

Unfortunately he's not active anymore and I can't get ahold of him.  The last thing I want to do is spend a pile of money and have the coating fall off.

I'm wondering what you guys have done - whether it be paint or bedliner or whatever.

Side note, I think the 2007+ cladding is a different material than the pre-2007 trucks.  I'm not sure how different, but I know from reading a lot of threads that things like Refinish Restorer works well on the Gen 1, but sucks on the Gen 2 (I know that from personal experience)

Talk to Calicak89. He has bedliner on his truck but not sure if it is line-x or not. He should be around here somewhere.

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
Talk to Calicak89. He has bedliner on his truck but not sure if it is line-x or not. He should be around here somewhere.

Rodney
If I'm not mistaken, he used Plasticoat/Plastidip (forget the exact name)and re changed his color to green last year.

I know in older threads about applying Line-X it was mentioned that if you took off the cladding and applied it so it wrapped around the part if would adhere better than just a surface coat and that the heat application of the Line-X system seemed to hold better than the cold rolled/sprayed do it yourself systems.

frito said:
If I'm not mistaken, he used Plasticoat/Plastidip (forget the exact name)and re changed his color to green last year.

I could be wrong but I was sure he used bed-liner for his truck. He mentioned he used it to cover some damage instead of painting it all. Doesn't mean he didn't use plasti-dip over it. It has been a couple years and I am almost 50 now so its possible I'm delusional but I am almost certain his was bed liner. Thought he mentioned at that time he might change the color and since it was already lined it wouldn't take much to do.

I managed to get ahold of user ROBOPTI on Twitter who owns the Avy in my first post.  He says after 2 years the truck and finish are in perfect shape.  I'll see if I can figure out what his shop did to make it adhere.  I'll be honest, doing Line-X to the rest of the truck and NOT the cladding, would be a waste in my opinion.

frito said:

redheadedrod said:
I could be wrong but I was sure he used bed-liner for his truck. He mentioned he used it to cover some damage instead of painting it all. Doesn't mean he didn't use plasti-dip over it. It has been a couple years and I am almost 50 now so its possible I'm delusional but I am almost certain his was bed liner. Thought he mentioned at that time he might change the color and since it was already lined it wouldn't take much to do.

You both are right to a certain extent, but the bed-liner was sprayed on the underside and quarters/fenders from the inside. Everything you see is Plasti-Dip. Yes it is green now. In regards to the OP question, I did not spray the cladding at all. However I did spray the air dam under the front bumper and It held just find for over 3 years and I actually had a hell of a time getting off to re-spray last year when i changed the color

Calicak89 said:
You both are right to a certain extent, but the bed-liner was sprayed on the underside and quarters/fenders from the inside. Everything you see is Plasti-Dip. Yes it is green now. In regards to the OP question, I did not spray the cladding at all. However I did spray the air dam under the front bumper and It held just find for over 3 years and I actually had a hell of a time getting off to re-spray last year when i changed the color

Do you have a link to it?  I'm thinking I might just go part way and selectively spray a few trouble areas along the bottom of the truck.

I don't, but it does not look any different than it did stock. I didn't spray it on any of the painted surfaces visible from the exterior, only the underside

My local Line-X guy says no problem getting it to stick.  He has done some other trucks with plastic parts and he really knows how to do it.  Line-X Total Truck Center in Castle Rock, CO.

I sprayed my upper cladding 18 months ago with Rustoleum truck bed liner, first cleaned it with tsp ,& wiped down with paint thinner. IIt has been sprayed with high pressure car wash with no problems. I have confidence it will last, I did the plastic engine spoiler on 2 motorcycles, and the saddlebags of one of them. This was done 10 years ago , they still look like like new.

Attachments

• PSX_20181007_190821.jpg
    PSX_20181007_190821.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 40
I haven't done the plastics yet but I did do the rest of the truck including the bumpers and steps with a product called Raptor.  I plan on doing the plastics next spring.

Yes, Its slick but rough like sand paper.  You can adjust the texture with your air pressure (40-80psi)  Lower pressure will give you a more course texture.  I shot mine about 65 psi.

So I sanded my bed covers (along with all the rest of my cladding) and painted it gloss black with a urethane paint. Couple years ago I was taking the company Christmas tree to the recycle center with the bed covers laying under it. The young kid monitoring the drop station wanted to help and pulled the tree out for me. Needless to say two of the covers hit the blacktop and gouged them both. I didn't say anything about it and thanked him for his help. Actually I wanted to strangle him. So now being disgusted for 2 years I think I want to cover them with black bed liner coating. Won't be glossy black but it should hold up better when super helpful kids yank them onto the ground.

bgnAV05 said:
I haven't done the plastics yet but I did do the rest of the truck including the bumpers and steps with a product called Raptor.  I plan on doing the plastics next spring.

How much of the Raptor coating did you need to use?

Did you ever get the plastics covered on this?
Would love to see pics.
bgnAV05 said:

Well after the attendant at the dump [pulled my bed panels out ant destroyed them when he took out the Christmas tree, I finally got around to repainting them with bed liner. Well 2 coats of bed liner and 2 coats of satin black.

Attachments

• 20210627_212719.jpg
    20210627_212719.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210627_212711.jpg
    20210627_212711.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210627_212703.jpg
    20210627_212703.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 16
Well after the attendant at the dump [pulled my bed panels out ant destroyed them when he took out the Christmas tree, I finally got around to repainting them with bed liner. Well 2 coats of bed liner and 2 coats of satin black.
Looks good. How'd the guy destroy the panels, throw them to the side?

Thanks. There were lying in the bed with the tree. The tree was so huge it pulled them out with it and hit the blacktop.

The panels look great. I guess next time the panels will be left in the garage, put in rear seat area or put in official AV panel bag to secure their safety....:laugh:

Back