• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Check engine light and OBD2 Scanner

JASKIN

SM 2017
I have a 2003 Chevy Avy 1500 4x4 WBH and at times when i power down going up a long grade the check engine light comes on, I have taken it to my mechanic and he has cleared to code and says it is emission type error and for me to not worry about it. What may be causing this , I installed new plugs,new gas cap, new air filter and cleaned the MAF. The truck has 192,000 and sounds and rides good. What is is good reasonable Scanner to purchase that I can use to clear the code and check which code it is throwing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Without the actual code it's hard to tell.

I keep a Actron CP9125 in the glove box it's about as cheap and simple as they come.

Is it blogging down when you give it heavy power.  ???

Occasionally I get the MAF error P0101 under similar conditions, ie; accelerating on an on ramp or up a hill. I clear with my droid cell phone running Torque connected to an ELM27 adapter.

Most likely culprits...

Dirty Air filter.
Leaky Intake Gasket (2004 5.3 WILL leak if you haven't already swapped out to a felpro or minimum new style OEM gasket.)
  Normally worse in cold weather and when truck is cold.
Plugged convertors.

Knock sensor :dunno:

Find a new mechanic, when the light comes on you have a problem never ignore it.

GO to AUTO ZONE and get code read for free.
Then tell us the code

MS03 2500 said:
Without the actual code it's hard to tell.

I keep a Actron CP9125 in the glove box it's about as cheap and simple as they come.

Is it blogging down when you give it heavy power.  ???
The code was a P0446 --    Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Vent System Performance
Yes bogs down on heavy power

AirJunky said:
Occasionally I get the MAF error P0101 under similar conditions, ie; accelerating on an on ramp or up a hill. I clear with my droid cell phone running Torque connected to an ELM27 adapter.
No smart phone but did borrow a scanner

redheadedrod said:
Most likely culprits...

Dirty Air filter.
Leaky Intake Gasket (2004 5.3 WILL leak if you haven't already swapped out to a felpro or minimum new style OEM gasket.)
   Normally worse in cold weather and when truck is cold.
Plugged convertors.
New air filter
New gas cap
Convertors replace by previous owner about 20,000 miles ago
Don't know about intake gasket

Gas cap OME or after market? Some have problems with after market especial locking.

My daughters KIA went through two after market then purchased from dealer. 

There are a lot of You Tubes on home smoke tests for leaks. Some are quite comical.

JVZL1 said:
Gas cap OME or after market? Some have problems with after market especial locking.

My daughters KIA went through two after market then purchased from dealer. 

There are a lot of You Tubes on home smoke tests for leaks. Some are quite comical.

After market from NAPA non locking

Intake manifold leak would cause a lot more problems at idle than at power.

Back