• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Things to look out for when buying a 2007?

bg_88

What are things to look out for when buying one of these..

I checked out a few  04/05's older ones but they had a loud clacking noise  and i ran away from them as quickly as i could.
?After having a RWD  I Surely do miss it.

I had  2004 silver do  Ext cab long bed  4.8L vortex  rare option with the long bed I got great MPG on it about 18/22HWY (26MPG hypermiling )
I had to sell it because it had a issue with the brake line  and some electrical issues (keep blowing light bulbs)  so I took a small loss on that one

The Main thing I did NOT like was the Electric Throttle ...  
too slow  of response time  AS IT ALMOST CAUSED TWO ACCIDENTS with in a few seconds !  (I was on a slight hill and the truck rolled backwards as I released the brake and that lag time kicked in causing me to almost hit a car behind me and crashing into cross traffic )  Luckily the cross traffic stopped for me  and I floored it to move out of the way

I suspect some sort design flaw on GM's part ( since I use both feet for driving  ) As  I learned that way  (Small peddles  on that Nissan sentra  I learned to drive with it was Not made for a size 13 shoe  maybe would be fine for a size 6 shoe)
Instead of hitting the brake my shoe would slip under the brake peddle (I can't move my ankle much anyways because the risk of sprain it is very high for me)  I sprain my ankle 3 times on one side and 4 times on the other

WAS the Electric Throttle FIXED on later models?

Since my impala is a pile of junk now at 175k miles (is a lemon and tired on throwing money at it..I spent 9k total on it since i had it for the last 4 years and from 129k to now at 175k miles)
Only getting about 9-13MPG city and 21(HWY)  so getting a truck will not hurt my pocket book at all. (will even save me money)

This is the one i found locally   low mileage one with only 117k miles
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/2007-chevy-avalanche-good/6240127386.html

I think i could get them down to like 6500 since it has some minor damage on it.

First welcome to the website!

As with any used vehicle the maintenance and accident/flood history has more to do with condition of a vehicle more than a specific model year. Although some 2007 AV owners complain of the displacement on demand system causing oil usage and other problems. Yet you have to consider that not all AV owners are not members of this site and that most people don't post things like drove my AV today and nothing bad happened. So if you spend your time reading the Problems section you will form a negative opinion of AVs. If you read sections about owners buying multiple AVs or having more than 200,000 miles etc. then you can see there is still many owners very satisfied with their AVs.

As far as the throttle I have never had a problem with my 2004 or my 2008 AVs.

Due to the fact they haven't made an AV since 2013 I would check any AV for rust underneath due to road salts and moisture. I know that may not be a problem on a California AV though.
Good luck with your search.

I had an 07 Tahoe and currently an 09 Av. Between the two have had 4 years ownership and probably 50,000 miles. Never had any complains about oil consumption with the cylinder deactivation from me.
My biggest gripe with the 07 vs. 09 is the 07 only has a 4 speed transmission, but coming from an 04 you're used to that. The 6 speed is totally different and I love it!

Back