• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Interior Switched and Constant Power Sources

CenFL Avalanche

I have two interior accessory items to install on my 2007 Avalanche Z71.  One accessory requires switched power (hidden antenna) and the other (dash cam) needs constant power.  

In the Center Instrument Panel Fuse Block, below the Body 3 block on the left, there is a unused block with 6 pins.  About 3 pins appear to have switched power (confirmed with volt meter).  Can I use one of these for the switched power source and is it already a fuse source?   Is there an unused ground and constant power source in this fuse block?

I looked through the forum and found one posting, but the pictures are no longer showing online to determine what pins to use.

Thanks in advance!

How about this one.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,150889.msg2146678.html#msg2146678

Excellent; Thank you for providing this link.  The X14 is the exact block I was looking at and has all the pins I need to complete the antenna and camera hookup.  I'll be glad to get rid of the wip antenna.

(y) (y)

Need some advice:  I installed the amplified antenna and wired it to the accessory terminal and used an existing ground post on the drivers side of the dash.   Everything seemed fine until I got to work and attempted to turn off the truck.  Even with the key removed, the engine remained running and the engine light came on.   I pulled the 12 volt connected off the terminal, and was able to shut off the motor.  Had a code scan done which indicated a failing shifter solenoid.  Engine light disappeared went I left the auto store parking lot.

Is there another terminal I should be using to wire up this antenna?

Thanks!

:B:

That's odd,
That was my post that MS03 linked you to. (Good looking out B.)
I have been using the pins in that x14 block to control and supply numerous accessories on and off throughout 7+ years of ownership and have never had any issue.
I used to have a pin-out of that entire junction block but it was on my old desktop and I'm not sure if transferred the file or not. I'll see if I can find it.
Don't hold your breath though.

Did you just simply plug the pins in or need you need to use a relay as well?  I saw other posts online indicating that a relay needed to be used.  Also, I had checked all terminals in the X14 block and didn't find one with constant power which I need for the dash cam.  This is my Sunday project so I will be working on it again in the morning.

Been wanting to do this for a long time, just....haven't. Pretty sure the X14 connector provides a few hundred milliamps for only signaling to a relay. You have to get the 12v and ground from another source. There should be several others in that box though.

I'm pretty sure it's 10 amp, so yes find another power source and use a relay.

I understand the concept now.  It would be too easy if there already exisited ready to use terminals not requiring added relays in a vehicle that most likely would add electrical components (A Truck).  Is there another relayed wire source I can just tap into for RAP and constant 12V power on a 2007 Avy?  Or do you just use a jumper to the fuse panel for each source?

(y)

Most wires you will tap into will only be a limited power source and unless your device has no power you should expect to have to use a fuse and relay to provide power to your device. Unless you find an in service unused relay that already has a fuse on it.

In the earlier year trucks there is support for a sunroof relay. I don't know if that exists on a 2007 or if there are other locations for the RAP signal. In MY truck ('03) There is a wire running somewhere for the sunroof relay so I just tapped into the BCM harness and ran it to a relay. All of the BCM outputs are negative trigger and are intended to be used with a relay. I installed a .1 amp fast blow fuse on mine "just in case" and ran it to the negative side of a relay coil and then took the common and other relay coil and put them to the battery.

Again, I don't know if this exists in a 2007 and can only speak for the 03-05 (And PROBABLY 06).

Rodney

Back