• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Oil leak after pan gasket change.

Vendrasco

Hey all,

I have a 2004 Av with 5.3. I had recently changed the oil pan gasket and a diff seal on the truck, about a month and a half ago. And I am having the same type of oil leak. I checked it periodically and saw no new wet spots. Went camping this weekend towing a RPod camper about 2600Lbs only about 40 km there and 40km back and took a look when we got back, there's oil forming a drip on the drain plug, and forming on the oil filter. It was clean last week no there's a fine oil coat starting on the pan.

I used a felpro gasket, did then 1in bead on the four corners when the block meets the rear and front. And torqued accordingly as well as replaced the rear 2 bolts.

Any suggestions where I should be looking?

I had similar drips and wet spots. Turned out to be driver side valve cover gasket.
Changed both. 
The dreaded rear main?

I checked behind the access covers on the bell housing and the fly wheel and torque converter are clean and dry. And there's no oil pooling on the inside of the bell cover, so I don't think rear main seal.

Did you try looking at the valve covers

I went to check for leaks above the oil pan, the block is pretty much clean, I see some oil on the driver side vary rear of the block, but the head above appears and feels clean. And from over head, the only obvious oil build up has been there for long time it's thick dirt filled grease, normal grim after 193xxx km. I did notice the front of the oil pan sweeting a bit, is it possible my oil pan gasket change didn't take?

MS03 2500 said:
Did you try looking at the valve covers

I will have to take a better look around the covers, I am ordering brake shoes for the wife's car won't hurt to order some new cover gaskets

If the 5.3 doesn't have an oil cooler it'll have a a block off plate right above the oil filter. It's common for that gasket to leak then run down onto the oil filter as well as the front of the pan making it appear that the pan and oil filter are leaking as well as going down looking like the rear main is leaking. Get some carb cleaner and clean it up real good and check it out. Fel pro part number 72435. $6 on amazon may be worth it to check it out. Seen multiple vehicles with this issue.

Back