• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Adding a Hidden Antenna with Factory XM

CenFL Avalanche

I have a 2007 Avalanche with the Z71 package and XM radio.  Is it possible to use a amplified hidden antenna and still get XM radio?  

I assume the XM signal goes into the radio using the same connector shared by the whip antenna?  When I unplugged the antenna cord from the radio unit, I noticed a different type of connection than the typical Motorola type connector of the amplified hidden antenna I purchased.  Is there an adapter for this?

Thanks!

(y)

You can hide the AM/FM antenna and still pick up a signal which may be degraded but you can't hide the XM antenna on the roof as it has to have line of site to the satellites.

Thanks Randy.  What I am curious about is if I connect my new hidden amplified antenna, will I loose usage of my XM antenna?  I only have one antenna connector on the back of the radio which I assume connects both the whip antenna and the XM antenna.  I will also need some type of adapter since the radio has a non-motorola connector that I have never seen before.

(y)

I don't believe they use the same jack, the XM antenna may not plug directly into radio but into another module like maybe for the Onstar.

Unless they have changed they should look similar to these..

Attachments

• AM-FM Antenna  (2).jpg
    AM-FM Antenna (2).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 36
  • XM Antenna  (1).jpg
    XM Antenna (1).jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 36
Randy,

Thank you for the pictures.  I'll pull out the radio tomorrow.  Based on your pictures, I probably have the XM plugged in, but not the antenna.  I'll check again and post what I find.

(y)

XM Radio has like 5 wires running to the radio from the module. Audio Right and left (uses common ground so only 1 wire apiece.), Ground, Power, Datalink. The Antenna goes directly to the XM Radio module and is controlled through these lines that go to the radio.

This is for 2003-2006. 2002 and 2007+ MAY be different.

But regardless, do NOT use the radio Antenna.

Rodney

Thanks for the responses.  The antenna for my 2007 Avy appears to have a different jack than the typical motorola style input.  It has a star configuration.  If this is the antenna, then I need an adapter to connect the motorola style jack. 

Back