• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Back after being Avless for over 4 years

Senor Plata

Not a good time to buy a used truck.  Relatively low gas prices make it a sellers market.  Prices were about the same or a little more than when I was looking a couple of years ago.

Got tired of dealers putting minimum maintenance into used Avs to sell them.  The Av sells itself especially now that production has been stopped for four years.  So I saw a lot of Avs with shot steering, suspension, climate control, and catalytic converters.  Add to that the failing mods and I was getting despondent and almost got a 2002 one owner F150.

Hit Craigslist a few times and filtered for private sellers.  There were actually two NFE in the immediate area.  Looked at one right off the bat and made the seller a kbb fair price based on condition.  Seller wanted 2k more since he was upside down after only owning it for 8 months.  Looked at the other NFE about a month later and while it was a little more scuffed up inside and outside, it had been well maintained mechanically by the second owner for 10 years.  I was leery of it having just crossed 200k but it drove nice.  Owner said he has been good about changing the oil every 3000 miles and using synthetic.  Grease Monkey sticker on the window.  4 month old tires and shocks too.  So I offered a little more than the previous Av and offer accepted.

So I welcomed Gardener the Green NFE to the family.  Lots of rest for this Av in between being a trailhead truck and family weekend errands truck.

Have a few things I want to fix eventually.  The panel gutters are shredded.  The back folding drain cover is gone.

Welcome Back to the AV nation. Good ones are still out there you just have to know what to look for. Sometimes grandmoms 30,000 mile truck is not the best deal.

Uh..oh!  I have to go over to the 2007+ side.  The 2002 made a nice down payment on a high mileage 2011.  Got a great deal even after the dealer replaced the blower motor and redid the TPMS system.  LTZ everything.

I keep looking. The last really nice (so it seemed on CL) NF I saw was gone really quick!

Back