• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tranmission cooler lines

linker33

Just looking for confirmation, as I've found statements to both effect.  Does the fluid flow out of the top radiator fitting back to the transmission?

Thanks,

Fluid always goes into the bottom and out the top, this prevents air pockets..

Randy said:
Fluid always goes into the bottom and out the top, this prevents air pockets..

I feel like this is incorrect.  If the fluid level is low, and the lines flow in to the bottom, the fluid would never get to the top to escape.  However if it enters in the top, it will "drop down" to the fluid level.  This prevents overheating when the fluid gets a bit low.  

I literally replaced my rad 6 months ago and I can't actually remember the answer....

EDIT:  Sorry I was thinking about the coolant, not the tranny lines.

Yea the radiator is a little different because it has the expansion tank which is the high point in the system helps capture the air. The LS engines also have the air bleed tubes on the heads to remove the air..

This is a 4L80E trans but you van see the front fitting on the 4L80E is the hot fluid out and it goes to the bottom of the trans cooler on the radiator.. The 4L60 in/out are different on the trans but the same going in/out on the radiator..

Attachments

• trans cooler - Copy.png
    trans cooler - Copy.png
    76 KB · Views: 60
Thank you all for the response.  I ran my aux cooler in series with the top line, so I'm good there.  However, I ran the flow from top to bottom in the cooler.
The coolant seems to be flowing done, but could this cause any issues in the future?

Thanks,

Yes the aux cooler should be inline after the radiator. As far as the line routing to it depends on the cooler it self. Is it aftermarket and what type is it Plate and Frame or Tube and Fin. Best case they should all be mounted with the inlet below the outlet, plate and frame should be that way or like in the picture in my post. The tube and fin is less like to form air pockets because of it's a straight though design but it's not as efficient as the plate and frame.

It is a Haden 405, tube and fin design.  So it is likely ok?  If it has been flowing fine so far is it good to go, or is there a way for it to develop air pockets in the future?

With tube and fin it's fine, straight through should not form air pockets..

Back