• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 Avalanche 2500 : Stopped moving well engine running

Chaos67731

So I was on my way back home and just got off the freeway when the tires stopped getting power. The engine was running but no power was getting to the wheels.

I crawled to a stop and went to put the truck in park when it started making a grinding noise. So I shut my truck off and went to see if any thing looked bad under the truck.  Every thing looked normal. . . . then I pushed on the front of my truck well it was in park and off. . . the damn thing started moving.

So I get back in my truck, turn it on and put it into 4 wheel drive, there was a click and it jumped forward just a little.

I put it back in 2 wheel drive, and it starts moving just as it should.  For the rest of the trip home, the shifts are a little off and it was holding gears longer than it should.

SO. . . . How f**ked is my transmission? Is that the problem?  Does anyone know if this is a common problem and what the fix is?

Trans or the transfer case, no way to know. You say it drives now other than shifting different.

Try putting it in for 4Hi and them 4Lo to see if the transfer case is working. But first check the oil in the transfer case to see if has any, if not you may have the dreaded pump rub and trashed the TC. Also look for a hole in the back of the case around the splines at the rear of the case, that's where it would be leaking.

Go easy on it and be prepared for it to go out, so don't get to far from home..

If the TC seams okay then check the trans fluid for level and burnt smell..

If you don't have the skills to trouble shoot and repair then it will have to go to the shop..

Good luck

When was the last time you changed the Transmission Filter

Randy said:
Trans or the transfer case, no way to know. You say it drives now other than shifting different.

Try putting it in for 4Hi and them 4Lo to see if the transfer case is working. But first check the oil in the transfer case to see if has any, if not you may have the dreaded pump rub and trashed the TC. Also look for a hole in the back of the case around the splines at the rear of the case, that's where it would be leaking.

Go easy on it and be prepared for it to go out, so don't get to far from home..

If the TC seams okay then check the trans fluid for level and burnt smell..

If you don't have the skills to trouble shoot and repair then it will have to go to the shop..

Good luck

So today I checked the TC fluid and about 1 quart came out, it does look like some has been leaking.  I was not able to find a hole, so I am not 100% sure where it was coming from.  I added in all new TC fluid and well I was down there I changed the transmission filter well adding in 5 new quarts of fluid there.

After that, I took it for a drive to get it heated up, and was trying to NOT take it easy on it.  It seems to be shifting okay and did not have any problems in 2 wheel drive.

I then tried 4Hi, and drive around the desert a little. . . again doing my best to not take it easy on the transmission. All Seemed good there.

When I went to put it on 4Lo, well in neutral and 4Hi.  It just clicked and bumped a little and would not move over to 4Lo.

I tried a few times, but it will not move over to 4Lo and just keeps kicking me back to 4Hi.

---  I am guessing that is a sign my transfer case is going bad?

MS03 2500 said:
When was the last time you changed the Transmission Filter

I have had the truck for about 3 years and have never done it, so I did it today.

Well after changing the fluid in both the transmission and transfer case, it has happened again.

No codes or lights. I pretty sure it's time to take it to the shop hopefully it is something not too expensive.

MS03 2500 said:
No codes or lights. I pretty sure it's time to take it to the shop hopefully it is something not too expensive.

Yeah, I took it to a locally run shop here in Vegas and the owner said with everything working at the moment. . . it would be a little hard to find the problem.

I guess with the truck running fine at the moment and no codes coming up, short of taking everything out, it would be a shot in the dark.  I am not sure if he just did not want the stress of finding the problem or just did not want to waste my money and his time.

Intermittent problems can be a PITA, sometimes you just have to wait until fails or breaks to figure out what's wrong..

Good luck

After driving around for some time, I noticed it only happens on the freeway when the truck is able to get into overdrive. When it should kick into overdrive, it just gets stuck in neutral.

Not sure how that helps narrow the problem down. . . but it is something for me to talk to the guys at the shop about. 

But yeah, intermittent problems are a pain!

Is it making any noise when this happens.

MS03 2500 said:
Is it making any noise when this happens.

When it slips out there is not noise, it just sounds like it is in neutral. 

But when it happens and I come to a stop and go to put it in park or reverse. Sometimes there is a grinding (fast clicking) noise.  This does not happen all the time, and if I let it sit for a minute I am able to go into park or reverse without any noise.

First and foremost I'm not a Transmission Guy, but I had a problem with my 2500 2 years ago.

It was similar to what you describe and it had a  pop and swirling sound.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,145938.0.html

At first I did not know what was causing it until I realized the tranny had pop out of gear. It would go back into gear once I slowed down enough. So after thinking about it I figured it was having trouble coming out of overdrive back to 3rd.

Now I found a shop that can rebuild a tranny, but with specific instructions do not remove the tranny.

They replace the 1-2 solenoid and the 2-3 plus the 3-2 and something called the actuator rod.

So find a good shop, most dealer and tranny shops will tell you need a new tranny which Bull Stuff

Back