• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Back-up camera question.

AvyBird

I have a 2005 avy and wanna know who has a back up camera? I tried a rear view mirror one but our mirrors are to big for the one to go over it. So does anyone have a suggestion? Or does anyone have a monitor mounted somewhere and have pictures? I'm trying to get an idea.  I just bought my avy. And don't wanna spend money on aftermarket double din. So does anyone have any ideas?

I have an 06 and installed back up camera in the hitch assembly. Had to make a simpe mounting plate but it works well in that location.

There are many older threads talking about backup cameras and monitor types and positions in both generations of AVs. You might want to read some of them for ideas but basically in first generation AVs the owners who wanted to upgrade to a backup camera system did one of several options.
1. got a backup monitor mirror (which you already have discussed.)
2. got a small monitor and put it in dash near a center cubby hole by removing the dash cover and then cubby itself replacing it with monitor then replacing dash cover.
3. spent money for aftermarket head unit with camera monitor capability. Some bought flip out screen models but some found they had to shorten the shift lever to avoid the screen from hitting if it came out automatically, other owners had screen set to manual to come out when gear selector was moved. (I know you have voiced displeasure already for this option.)
4. about the only other option I can think of is to get a backup camera system that ties into an aftermarket GPS system and have it mounted to your dash or windshield.
Here is a link for a Garmin camera that is wireless and works with many models of Garmin GPS units:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/501486#overview

The most like a factory look would be like a head unit with a large screen like on a second generation AV that could be in a kit form from a company like www.crutchfield.com and their customer service could help with all wiring harness and adapters to keep steering wheel controls too. I think they even sell dash cover to fit new unit.

HEY I READ A FEW REPLIES OUT THERE RELATED TO BACK UP CAMERA SUGGESTIONS. I AM CONSIDERING TRYING ONE THAT MY ALARM INSTALLER HAS WHERE I CAN USE THE SOUND SYSTEM MONITOR FOR CAMERA VIEW. I'M TRYING TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS  TRIED A TESTED & PROVEN SOLUTION FOR THIS FOR MY 2003, 1500 Z71. .?? YOUR SUGGETSTION ARE :welcome: THANKS

Back