• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Mirror puddle light help

ioldsnut

Hey guys, sold my 2004 and bought a 2007. The 2007 exterior mirrors did not have turn signals or puddle lights but a friend of mine had an extra set. Pretty simple to install and it seems like it should be Plug and Play Because the plug snapped into the switches on the door panels. My turn signals work but no puddle lights. I've replaced the bulbs and check the power with a meter at the socket, and no power. Is there something I'm missing? Any suggestions? Thanks much.

Are they the folding mirrors.

I don't think so? Is there a way to know for sure? I can ask the guy who gave them to me if he knows. They came off of his 2009 Suburban but he bought it with Tow Mirrors already on it so he may not know.

ioldsnut said:
I don't think so? Is there a way to know for sure? I can ask the guy who gave them to me if he knows. They came off of his 2009 Suburban but he bought it with Tow Mirrors already on it so he may not know.
Have you tried to fold them in?

With the mirror selector switch in the middle, hit the mirror move switch to the hard right. Then hard left folds them back out.

Seems like there is a menu item in the DIC to set their behavior & how long they stay on. Make sure the fuse is in place too.

It appears that I don't have that option. .

I can only just a mirrors left right and up and down. No folding action. I don't think I have enough buttons on my door to make that happen. What would the fuse be labeled for the puddle lights? I'm going to dig into that when I get home 

Take a picture of it or if you know the model number of it.

I suspect it's a DL3 mirror

ioldsnut said:
It appears that I don't have that option. .

I can only just a mirrors left right and up and down. No folding action. I don't think I have enough buttons on my door to make that happen. What would the fuse be labeled for the puddle lights? I'm going to dig into that when I get home  
There are no more buttons with the fold away option, than without. They fold up when you have the selector switch in the middle, then click the move right switch.

I think the option is DL3 or DL8, depending on the year. Look at the sticker on your glovebox door.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=96887.0

Okay, if that's the case then I don't have folding mirrors. Now that that's established what's that got to do with puddle lights? LOL

Take off one mirror and post the part number of the mirror. Since they are from a different vehicle

ioldsnut said:
I looked today and no DL3 but there is DL8...  By the way, its a 2007

From the chart I posted above:
DL8      Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable

Sounds like there is no puddle lights either.

Like I  mentioned before, I  changed the mirrors out from a 2009 Suburban, so the DL8 code doesn't matter anyway I  would think.  Still  don't understand what that has to do with puddle lights. ..??

As MS03 2500 said, look at the part number on the mirror its self and post that information.

It IS possible that you may need the door modules reprogrammed to use the puddle lights but not sure. But with the part number we can atleast tell what mirrors you actually have...

Rodney

Just some thoughts... under the Driver Information Center (DIC) check what the setting is for "Approach Lighting" and I think there's an exit one too. See if those are enabled as the puddle lamps are tied into that. I can't remember without checking, but the puddle lamps should only come on at night too, so during the day you shouldn't see them.

ioldsnut said:
.  Still  don't understand what that has to do with puddle lights. ..??

It just would make me wonder if all the pieces are there to make it all work, ie; wiring, fuse, switch, solenoid, sensor, DIC settings, etc.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,102872.0.html

Well since no one wanted to post the part number and yes only DL3 had the puddle light click the above link.

Well after reading that whole post, I see that I'm going to need to get switches from a dl3 truck. I believe I know where I can get those from. Of course everything I'm reading is about the folding mirrors and what not but I'm going to assume that my puddle lights will work when I changed those switches?

From 07 service manual:

Exterior Courtesy Lamps
The BCM, driver door switch, and the passenger door switch communicate through the GMLAN serial data system. The driver door switch and passenger door switch supply power and ground to the left and right lamps respectively. When the BCM commands illuminated entry, a command is also sent to the door switches for illumination of the exterior courtesy lamps.

Also:
Driver Door Switch (DDS) C7 (DL3/DR4) - 10 pin connector
[summing up the detailed pin list table] This terminal connection handles the folding, puddle lamps, mirror position sensors

So as long as the wire terminal is already there, it sounds like the door switches just need to be swapped to feed the power to the puddle lamps. Plus that would also give you all the folding/etc options.

Final update:
Upon further research, it appears that this isn't always plug and play. The actual wiring harness for power folding which includes the puddle lamps may not always be there. Any chance you could take a photo of the underside of your door switch? I can compare with mine.

Swap switches with your buddy that you got the mirrors from. His tow mirrors won't fold in, so he won't be missing anything.

To fold the mirrors, there is a separate button right under the R/L mirror adjust button. They fold when you push the button - not programmed for when you turn the truck on/off or anything like that.

As for the puddle lamps, they only come on at night when you unlock the truck with the keyfob. No other times - not by turning on the dome lights with the inside switch; not when you park the truck and turn it off. Only when you unlock with the fob at night.

Hope this helps!

You guys are awesome!  Picked up some switches today and wala!  Folding mirrors. .  Guess I'll have to wait until tonight to see the puddle lights...  A bonus, ,  the guy at the junk yard gave me non ripped door rubbers !!!

Back