Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/19/17 05:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the right track????  (Read 436 times)
Foothills_GT

Awards
« on: 09/10/17 06:56 pm »

Ok, so I have a '02 2500 Avalanche with zero mods except for a Black Bear tune. I tow an older 31ft '96 Jayco TT and it tows horrible on interstate. I've read several posts on here about things to upgrade to help when towing and just want to make sure I'm on the right track with future upgrades. I'm looking to upgrade to a newer camper in the next year or so, but probably won't be going any bigger on camper length. I do use a weight distribution hitch and a friction sway control.

I want to upgrade to 17" wheels, but right now I'm thinking I'll just have to stay with the stock 16" and go up to a 265 tire and add 2" spacers in the rear. I like the H2 wheels and some of the Dodge 2500 wheels....but that will have to wait for now.

Replace the stock hitch with a Class V one.

A few weeks ago, I hauled a small load of landscaping stones (less than 1000lbs) and I didn't like the way the truck handled with just  those loaded in the back. I hope that wider tires and spacers will improve the handling of my truck when loaded. I'm not sure what else to try and any ideas will be appreciated.
enoniam

LS Fest 2017

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 09/10/17 07:10 pm »

On my 1500 03, my wider and with more offset summer wheels/tires give me fits on "rutted" roads, even without a trailer.  Going wider may make your problems worse.

2003 with ATK 460 HP 6.0, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers and true dual 3" exhaust, Truetrac rear, 3200 Circle Stall, tranny upgraded with 4L65 and other heavy-duty parts, Weld Racing 18x10 forged wheels, HPTuners custom tune, Vortech supercharger, water/meth injection, Magnavolt fuel pump voltage booster, DeatschWerks booster fuel pump, 42#/hr injectors, 13.3 @ 101 in the quarter mile.
Randy
Charter Member

I charge more than a buck$

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 09/10/17 07:19 pm »

Check this post out.. It has pretty much all your answers..

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,149446.0.html

02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N Intake, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP
jbrnigan

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 09/11/17 04:54 am »

I use my (basically stock) '02 - 2500 exclusively to tow my 30' Jayco TT.  It tows like a dream.  First, I replaced the factory receiver hitch assembly with a Curt class IV.  Second, I use a PROPERLY adjusted Equal-I-zer 12K weight distributing hitch.  A trip to the local Cat scales assured proper weight distribution and tongue weight (very important).  I added Air Lift suspension, air bags and an on board compressor and tow with 50 psi in the bags.  I have Monroe gas magnum truck shocks.  Tire pressures are also very important, both front and rear.  I only tow about 3000 miles a year, but my set up provides a very comfortable towing experience at all speeds.

2002 - 2500
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
2011 Camry SE
"The difference between men and boys,
is the price of their toys"
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 09/11/17 08:26 am »

All good ideas above, you don't want too wide of a tire 285 max. Make sure you are running LT 10 ply tires  and air them up when towing. Mine are 80 psi max so when towing they are at 60 psi, 45 when not.

I went with H2 wheels with 2 inch spacers but kept the tire size down to 265

2003 2500
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: