• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

06- Driver door switches not working

qreaigh

PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
SM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
It  started last week got in the truck switches did not work and interior lights would not go out. so I disconnected the battery an let it sit fo about 5 hr. reconnected the battery interior lights work properly but door switches still do not work. also when I turn off engine the radio immediately shuts off (dose not stay on until door is opened) checked fuses and relays ( how do yo tell if a relay is bad?) fuses appear good.
any ideas??

qreaigh said:
It  started last week got in the truck switches did not work and interior lights would not go out. so I disconnected the battery an let it sit fo about 5 hr. reconnected the battery interior lights work properly but door switches still do not work. also when I turn off engine the radio immediately shuts off (dose not stay on until door is opened) checked fuses and relays ( how do yo tell if a relay is bad?) fuses appear good.
any ideas??

I'm no auto electrical expert by any means, but it sounds to me more like the drivers door switch is not working properly.  The switch I am referring to is the one that turns on / off the dome light as well as the radio.  When you say that none of the door switches are working, do you mean the window, lock and or mirror adjustment switches?  If that is the case you may have some wires that are starting to break in the door jamb area at the front of the door.  There you will see a rubber sleeve connecting to the door and the door jamb, this is where all the wiring going to your door is.  I doubt it is a relay problem as relays usually stop working and are not usually an intermittent issue.  I used to have a 96 Sierra that the wires in this area broke, it is a bit of a common issue.  Good luck and maybe someone with more electrical experience will chime in.

Definetly warrants pulling the door panel and checking the connectors. Everything goes through the door switch module. Do your other windows work from their own switches?

Likely just a plug pulled out or something.

I would unplug all of the plugs and check for sign of burnt plastic or wiring. Also check the door jamb for pinched wires. (You can pull the rubber boot loose and inspect the wires within but make sure the boot goes back when your done. )

If wires are all in place and plugs are not unplugged then it is likely water got into your door switch at some point and shorted out something causing the door stuff to stop working.

Rodney

Is there one wire that feed power to the door switch module or does each switch of the module get its own power? 06  cladded

Should be one for the DDM and one for the PDM

DDM and PDM? I think the switches could prolly use a little cleaning and lube. I suggest hose-sing them out with contact cleaner (if possible) and getting a can of white lithium grease (spray kind) and lubing the switches. Maybe the switches can be disassembled....if so you can do a much better job and just lube the moving parts...

I would NOT lubricate the switches. They are electronic in nature and either work or don't work. If you spray them with anything other than canned air you can destroy them.

If there are no fuses blown, the connectors are all good and you can read power and ground on the connectors I would suggest looking at a new assembly.

The DDM or Drivers Door Module is the master control module for all of the doors. If the other doors allow the windows to roll up and down fine then the brain in the module is fine and you likely got moisture into the switch assembly and shorted a circuit board trace knocking out the switches but still allowing the module its self to work. No way to repair this easily unless you are good with a soldering iron and a volt meter. At that point it is a good idea to pick up a different switch assembly and swap it out for yours.

If these switches are electronic as you say your advice is sound. The switch in the my driver's door is intermittent at present. would anyone have a picture of said switches in the door?

Here ya go, there is nothing to lube. Thats a DDM = Drivers Door Module

Pic borrowed from Rockauto

Attachments

• door1.GIF
    door1.GIF
    58.8 KB · Views: 7
  • door2.GIF
    door2.GIF
    60.9 KB · Views: 8
I have had them apart and there is no real mechanical parts to them. Just plastic that could break. Ie non-repairable. I pulled mine apart to replace the white LED with blue LED.

Rodney

Been a while since I been looking at this post! DDM  ... OH you mean the power window switches in th door!  Yeah, I'm old school; they didn't used to have such sophisticated names for stuff on a '64 Galaxie!
Yeah there ain't thing to service in there except trying to glue the screw holes back on. I think they select none glue able plastic so we have to buy another one! I have learned that that plastic is the same stuff the make plastic pipe with, that can be repaired with black plastic pipe glue...

Back