• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Mobil Super D/M ATF - any opinions?

CarMech1969

Hey Avy fans,

Today I bought a pail of this stuff (20 liters) for $50, last pail left. Couldn't resist! :p lol

Apparently it meets Dexron III specs, however GM is now recommending Dexron VI and has been for quite some time.

My truck originally called for Dexron III.

Anybody here ever used this fluid before in their trucks? Any good to use?

http://lubes.mobil.ca/canada-english-lcw/automatic-transmission-fluid_mobil-super-atf-dm.aspx

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

CarMech1969

Does this mean that no one here has ever used this ATF??  ???

It appears to be an excellent product according to the BITOG folks.

It meets the Allison TES-389 spec, which indicates that it is essentially a Dexron III ATF.

Would any of you use it in your pre-2005 truck?? Would love to hear any opinions.

CarMech1969

I've been using Royal Purple Synthetic ATF with no problems, almost 250K on the trans.

Never used the Moblil ATF, if it meets or exceeds the specs then no reason not to use it..

Thanks for that, Randy. That's the logical conclusion.
Why the politics with GM telling everyone to use Dexron VI, or else??! lol  :laugh:
If Dex III was good back in 2002, then it'll still be good for a 2002 truck TODAY!
Oh yeah, I noticed you also have an '02 2500.
Any idiosyncrasies that I should be mindful of when dropping the trans pan down? It'll be the first time going in for me on my Av.
On my GMC Sierra you have to raise the transmission off its mount about an inch or so to get at the cover bolts at the back properly, and to make it easier to finagle the pan out.

Cheers! :cheers:

CarMech1969

Howdy folks,

CarMech1969 checking back in after a little while....

Today, I did the pan drop and changed the filter.
My truck has over 160,000 miles, and it looks like no one had ever dropped the pan before. Everything appeared original. No tool marks on the pan bolts, no razor blade scrapes on the gasket surfaces, nothing. So it's hard to know if and when any service has been done. That being said, it didn't look terrible inside there. Fluid still looked good, and the typical build up on the magnet and bottom of the pan. Still had the original style pan gasket too.

'Til next time  :B:

I believe Dexron VI is full synthetic.

Back