• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brakes started grinding very bad, only in reverse

03Z71Yellow

My truck is a 2003, I'm the only owner.  Brakes have been serviced several times, I've got about 130k miles.  Just this week, my brakes grind very loud, but only when going in reverse.  It is constant, not just in the morning.  I haven't brought anyone outside with me to tell if it is coming from front or back.  It is 4x4.  no ABS or engine light has come on.  Anyone have any suggestions before I spend even more money at the brake shop?

I need to update my post.  I had my neighbor come over and we took turns trying to listen to this noise and see which wheel this noise was coming from.  The noise only occurs when in reverse and only when applying the brakes.  However, the noise is a lot louder in the cab than outside close to the tires.

It's hard to tell, look  for worn pad, bad backing plate, parking brake shoes

Likely the parking brake shoes.. Probably the parking brake was applied recently and the cable is corroded which doesn't allow for the cable to release properly. I have disconnected mine because I don't care to spend the $300+ to repair a system I never use anyhow..

You need to have the brakes checked at each wheel.
Could be pad sensor telling the pads are worn
Bad slide pins.
Pad hung up on slides.
PArking shoes dragging...
Wheel hub or axle shaft bearing....
etc.

I had a car that the parking brake was sticking slightly with drum brakes and because of the pad that was applied it would  shudder when in reverse making the noise you describe which is why I suggested the parking brake. It is weird that it only does it when you apply the brakes though. May not be the parking brake if the sound comes and goes with the braking but would be worth atleast checking out. You should look for abnormally shiny parts behind the rotor... Could even possibly be an issue with your backing plate. Just have to pull off the brakes and rotors and inspect for issues.

Rodney

Thanks everyone.  Turns out a bolt holding the caliper on passenger front side either broke off or fell off.  Either way, caliper was missing the bolt and was loose.  Cheap and easy fix, mechanic was actually honest about it (not the dealership).

Believe it or not that's not the first time I seen a member post about the caliper bolts working their way out.

Well, I’m wondering if that’s what happened to my truck. Still googling on this. But initially it began to Shudder when in reverse. So I don’t drive it that much- I just made sure so wasn’t backing up until I had time to get it looked at.. Well we’ll.. let me tell you-

Then after going to a store and back home- maybe a mile or 2 as I wanted to test drive it a bit here and there short distances- to make sure it was all good right.. I got home after hearing a metal on metal grinding sound coming from my front end somewhere.. but it wasn’t constant.. maybe at certain angles when turning.. idk- I mean obviously- I wouldn’t of even tried driving it being I don’t know that much if I had any idea that would happen.. Anyway.. so upon using my eyeballing assessment skills- I noticed my driver side front tire-rim had been scraping/ something well.. deeply dug into it- all the around on the inside going towards under the truck.

So nothing looked crooked as in the tire itself standing in front or even the side of the truck to my eye anyway. But I wasn’t trying to move it either.
But it looks like almost the brake pads or caliber was forcing its way into the smaller inside middle of the rim area..

I just seen it and knew well that does look right. It seemed a bit too close or maybe riding on the inside of my rim causing it to dig into it all around it- which makes me wonder if that’s why it shudders when backing up at 0.00 mph. Just in reverse with gravity…Like maybe it dug it’s ass into the rim going forward and it’s harder to get it to move in reverse so it’s like ugh ugh ugh.. trying to go. Lol 🤷‍♀️🙅‍♀️🤦‍♀️
And this may not make any sense - I can’t guarantee lol- but is this a thing or?? Am I crazy.. don’t answer that. 🙋‍♀️

Have it looked at ASAP.
Faulty brakes can kill someone.

Back