• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

QI wireless charging in my 2003

supermanotorious

After driving a loaner 2016 Sierra with QI charging in the center console then getting the iPhone 8 I decided to see what people were doing to put QI in older vehicles. I ordered the charger below since it boasts 3 coils and I believe once stripped down, it just may fit in between the 2 "halves" of the console lid. I would plan on getting 12V from the DVD controls located at the back of the console but in worst case I can run a USB from the back of my Pioneer h/u to the console. I'll post lots of pictures but just wanted to make this announcement and hear your thoughts.

http://a.co/fHH5Tsk

Sounds interesting to say the least.
Look forward to seeing how things look.  (y)

Wire harness is inside the console.  The console storage compartment will come out. There are 4 "hidden" screws under the plastic mat on the bottom of the compartment. The other screws should be pretty obvious around the ring. Think you have to remove the back panel before you can remove the storage compartment but been a while since I took  mine apart.

Just be careful and it will be obvious. I am certainly paying attention because I want to do the same thing. Although my console currently is in parts as I finish my sound system. My console has been out of my truck for months.

Rodney

Yeah I have been all inside the console already when I ran a 6' aftermarket (Amazon) lightning cable from the h/u to the console, I'm just as excited as all of you to get this done

just found out about these type step down converters, ordered one, should make install that much easier

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O6R9PCC

I bought something similar because I plan to put a charging port in the console in a couple different places but may also install a wireless pad in the console lid if it makes sense.

Rodney

I read where the Qi chargers don't charge as well as a wired charger. And they don't charge a dead phone. But I bought one anyway. Sure enough, if the battery is below like 10%, it'll die on the Qi charger. And a "full charge" from the Qi will only last maybe a day. Whereas a full charger from a wired charger I will get like 2 days.
Good luck.

The charger showed up and I immediately started taking it apart. I do wish I went a little slower because there is a very aggressive adhesive on the very brittle backing plate for the coils. I pried at it with a knife and it started to crack so I got out the heat gun and warmed it up. That freed up most of the adhesive except a concentrated patch in the middle which ultimately broke free. The coils were undamaged so I began to proceed. Notice I use my old pill containers to hold small hardware and parts, especially if fixing an ipad or iphone. Now I had to trim some of the molded plastic support casts and then hot glued the coils and circuit board to the bottom side of the top half of the lid. I'm still waiting for the step down converter to finish the install but I'm pretty impressed myself so far. I'll make a tutorial video once it's 100% installed and I'm already considering adding a second coil pack since the phone has to be in a fairly specific spot to pick up the charge.

https://youtu.be/wlZZkXgySFI

I simply hate posting pictures on this forum. I took a bunch but I'm not taking them time to compress them and I am not going to use a third party site

All depends on the phone...

I have a samsung charger and it sucked on my Note 5. That phone would charge to 100% then shut off the charger. So if I sat it on the phone at midnight with 90% charge on it, it would charge to 100% by about 12:30 and when I pulled it off to go to work 14 hours later would be down to about 80% and not last until I got home.

With my new Note 8 the same charger is all I currently use since I don't have any USB-C cables other than the one it came with. Phone runs all day now and I still have ~20% when I get home.

(I play games and facebook on my phone and some other stuff which takes the battery down fast.  Plus at work the signal sucks which really pulls it down fast.)

redheadedrod said:
All depends on the phone...

I have a samsung charger and it sucked on my Note 5. That phone would charge to 100% then shut off the charger. So if I sat it on the phone at midnight with 90% charge on it, it would charge to 100% by about 12:30 and when I pulled it off to go to work 14 hours later would be down to about 80% and not last until I got home.

With my new Note 8 the same charger is all I currently use since I don't have any USB-C cables other than the one it came with. Phone runs all day now and I still have ~20% when I get home.

(I play games and facebook on my phone and some other stuff which takes the battery down fast.  Plus at work the signal sucks which really pulls it down fast.)

you should have a adapter from micro usb to usb-c, my note 8 had one

Like I said, I don't have any cables other than the ones it came with. It has an adapter and a full cable. I actually put the adapter in my wallet so I can charge it if I need to but I have been able to get through the day with the Note 8 where as my Note 5 died half way through the day and I had to charge it at least once...

The cable is actually still in the box since I have been able to "live" off the wireless charger.

When my Note 5 was fully charged with the wireless charger I had no issues either. But when my girlfriend has tried to charge either of her phones on it they only last like 4 hours on the charge. Not sure why unless it heats up the phone and shows a false full charge or something.

My Gear S3 will only charge wirelessly. (Bought it when I got the new phone. Also getting a Gear 360 which I will record my bicycle trips with. As much for "incident" recording as other recording.

Rodney

dang it all, second charger showed up, I took it apart and it only has 1 coil, I went ahead anyway and installed the 2 step down converters to the rear seat aux power receptacle, didn't realize it's always hot though, I may leave it like this unless it kills the battery, time will tell

Funny, my Malibu has QI wireless charging in the cneter console. Only issue is it is too small for either my HP Elite X3 or my Iphone 7+ 

Go figure.

as an update the constant power has yet to kill the battery, that being said I am a biker and I ride the Dyna every day, sometimes 2 weeks go in between Avalanche starts, and sometimes the start is a little sluggish

Back