• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Post National Drive to Helen GA??

Hug_R_Av

PM 2017
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2004
Is anyone interested in driving up to the Oktoberfest capital of Georgia on Sunday??
It's a good haul away but I know here is a member interested in driving up there after checking out on Sunday.
Post up if you are interested.

Might be up for that, since I check out Mon

james21 said:
Might be up for that, since I check out Mon

If you're checking out Monday, you probably don't want to drive up on Sunday. It's about 4.5-5 hours one way. Now, if ya want to drive up Monday, that's a whole different story.

Maybe, what would we do once we got there are there Oktoberfest events going on?

I personally am not traveling up there this year.
But if you have never experienced Helen GA before and have the time it's worth the trip up.
To Eric's point it's about 5+ hours in northern Georgia straight up I-75.
It's a year round German themed town. Lots of shops restaurants sight seeing etc.
I'm sure Eric can give you much more information as he loves VERY close.

Definitely Oktoberfest events going on, not sure exactly what, but there are definitely events. Lots of places to eat, I'd suggest Hofer's bakery ( he's an Av owner and his breads and cookies and everything is is wonderful!), Kopper Kettle Fudge shop, Hansen and Gretel (mmmm Grand Marnier and Kahula truffles), and I'm told if you want pretty authentic German food Bodensee is the place to go. Just about a mile north of Helen , is a cool little shop called Fred's Famous Peanuts, fried, boiled peanuts, peanut brittle, and lots of other stuff.  Unicoi State Park is a couple of more miles past Fred's, and there's Anna Ruby Falls there.  A few more miles north is Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia.  In Helen , there are all kinds of little shops with some cool stuff and some weird stuff.

Back