• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Oil Pan Drop - on ramps?

ashamsuddin

Just got an '05 RWD LS with 280K miles :eek: and am going to do a motor flush, drop the pan, and change the oil pump O-ring (getting low pressure on startup after not running for a couple days, then pressure goes up to 40psi during normal driving)

Looks like the only things I'll have to move are the "skid plate" (or maybe it's a cross-member of some sort) right under the pan, and MAYBE the "center-link"?  that's under the front end of the pan.

My question is whether I can do this job on ramps, or do I need to get the wheels off the ground to relieve pressure on either of these parts?  Sorry if this is a noob question

:welcome: to the club ashamsuddin,  personally I would not get under a AV on ramps they roll too easy.
I only get under mine with 2 floor jacks. I learn that the hard way and threw away the siily stock bottle jack a long time ago.

They are a few videos on youtube that seemed pretty good. I don't think you have to bother with the center link.

But there is a bunch of bolts both front and rear of the pan

Out of curiosity, is this a lot more complicated on a 4x4? I'm getting some weeping around my oil pan gasket, and would like to replace it.

igotzzoom said:
Out of curiosity, is this a lot more complicated on a 4x4? I'm getting some weeping around my oil pan gasket, and would like to replace it.

All the front drive stuff is on the left side so it's not much harder.

MS03 2500 said:
All the front drive stuff is on the left side so it's not much harder.

Um, you've got to drop the front diff.  It's considerably harder.

If you are getting under neath your 3 ton vehicle there is no option safer than using jack stands. I use 6 and 12 ton jacks to insure no way it will fall on me. When I did my brake lines I had my truck in the air with 4 12 ton jacks and used my 6 ton jack as a secondary jack near me.

Over kill? I had a jack stand collapse on me when doing a job in the past. I wasn't under the vehicle at the time so I always over do it. Especially can't be too safe...

NEVER get under a vehicle when just on Ramps. The vehicle can roll off or the ramps can collapse. My dad was working under a vehicle sitting on steel ramps and one collapsed. He was strong enough he was able to bench press the car and climb out from under it. Not likely with a 3ton truck or most normal people. My dad was lucky enough to only break a couple ribs that day.

enoniam said:
Um, you've got to drop the front diff.  It's considerably harder.

I forgot about that, but I motorcycle jack should help with that.

I only had to remove the skid plate, BTW, nothing else (again, this is a RWD).  Pretty easy job, but I'm leaking oil so I need to check my gasket installation.

Back