Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/19/17 02:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Pan Drop - on ramps?  (Read 395 times)
ashamsuddin

Awards
« on: 10/09/17 09:57 am »

Just got an '05 RWD LS with 280K miles Shocked and am going to do a motor flush, drop the pan, and change the oil pump O-ring (getting low pressure on startup after not running for a couple days, then pressure goes up to 40psi during normal driving)

Looks like the only things I'll have to move are the "skid plate" (or maybe it's a cross-member of some sort) right under the pan, and MAYBE the "center-link"?  that's under the front end of the pan.

My question is whether I can do this job on ramps, or do I need to get the wheels off the ground to relieve pressure on either of these parts?  Sorry if this is a noob question
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/17 04:07 pm »

Welcome! to the club ashamsuddin,  personally I would not get under a AV on ramps they roll too easy.
I only get under mine with 2 floor jacks. I learn that the hard way and threw away the siily stock bottle jack a long time ago.

They are a few videos on youtube that seemed pretty good. I don't think you have to bother with the center link.

But there is a bunch of bolts both front and rear of the pan
« Last Edit: 10/09/17 04:09 pm by MS03 2500 » Logged

2003 2500
igotzzoom
CAFCNA 2016 Supporting Member

2004 Avalanche Z71 4x4

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10/09/17 07:07 pm »

Out of curiosity, is this a lot more complicated on a 4x4? I'm getting some weeping around my oil pan gasket, and would like to replace it.
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 10/09/17 10:03 pm »

Out of curiosity, is this a lot more complicated on a 4x4? I'm getting some weeping around my oil pan gasket, and would like to replace it.

All the front drive stuff is on the left side so it's not much harder.

2003 2500
enoniam

LS Fest 2017

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10/10/17 08:44 am »

All the front drive stuff is on the left side so it's not much harder.

Um, you've got to drop the front diff.  It's considerably harder.

2003 with ATK 460 HP 6.0, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers and true dual 3" exhaust, Truetrac rear, 3200 Circle Stall, tranny upgraded with 4L65 and other heavy-duty parts, Weld Racing 18x10 forged wheels, HPTuners custom tune, Vortech supercharger, water/meth injection, Magnavolt fuel pump voltage booster, DeatschWerks booster fuel pump, 42#/hr injectors, 13.3 @ 101 in the quarter mile.
redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 10/10/17 10:10 am »

If you are getting under neath your 3 ton vehicle there is no option safer than using jack stands. I use 6 and 12 ton jacks to insure no way it will fall on me. When I did my brake lines I had my truck in the air with 4 12 ton jacks and used my 6 ton jack as a secondary jack near me.

Over kill? I had a jack stand collapse on me when doing a job in the past. I wasn't under the vehicle at the time so I always over do it. Especially can't be too safe...

NEVER get under a vehicle when just on Ramps. The vehicle can roll off or the ramps can collapse. My dad was working under a vehicle sitting on steel ramps and one collapsed. He was strong enough he was able to bench press the car and climb out from under it. Not likely with a 3ton truck or most normal people. My dad was lucky enough to only break a couple ribs that day.

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 10/10/17 11:42 am »

Um, you've got to drop the front diff.  It's considerably harder.

I forgot about that, but I motorcycle jack should help with that.

2003 2500
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: