• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Torsion bar maxed out?

mz

04 Z71 184000 miles.
Truck has been rough for a bit, took it to the shop and they have me a list of problems.
Idler arm, pitman arm loose
Wheel bearing going out
Rear sway bar broke
And "vehicle sits low in front, torsion bar adjusters maxed out. New torsion bars or keys to restore ride height"

I will be doing the work myself, but I'm trying to figure out what I need to do with the torsion bar problem. Only the driver side bolt is maxed out. The truck hits bumps very hard, that's why the mechanic said it is bottoming out. I have been reading about different keys, but I do not want to raise the vehicle and compromise the stock ride quality. Is it possible to get different keys to raise it up enough to prevent it from bottoming out, but keep the bars wound less to keep the ride smooth? Any help greatly appreciated.

Should inspect the bar and both ends for signs of damage. Make sure the adjustment really is bottomed out and that it isn't just a snapped off adjuster bolt.

Mine rides the same as it did new and the adjusters are far from bottomed out.

'03 z71 with 269k miles as of yesterday.

Could be bad keys, adjusters, torsion bars or where the bars mount into the keys or frame.

Also look for bent frame and other damage.

Have not heard of keys or torsion bars going bad but not impossible.

Sure others can give other options or give better suggestions but trying to at least give you something to look at.

If someone put different A arms or knuckles on the truck this could be your issue as well if they purposely tried to lower the truck. Or if your bushing or ball joints are toast. Also look for damage to the A arms and knuckles while inspecting for non factory pieces.

Rodney

Did you lift or level it.. The suspension is suppose to ride on the bump stops

No lift has been done. It use to be a nice smooth ride that has slowly gotten worse. All the suspension is stock. Could the bars just be wore out?

The bars or keys can wear out. Replace the bump stops also. In my experience the front suspension parts are good for 100K miles then things like ball joint, idler arms , pitman arm, control arms should be inspected.

Is the the stock bump stop?

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 106
Couple more

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 95
I  don't have a 1500 but I thought they were suppose to be yellow.

And why the adjuster is maxed out is something the shop is going to have to figure out

That's what I was thinking. The GM ones that I'm seeing are twice as long I think.

Replaced idler arm and pitman. Steering is much better now. Raised the torsion bars to go about 1/2 above the new bump stops, and that made a huge difference. Seems like it's not bottoming out now. The only problem now is the passenger side torsion bar still has half the bolt left for adjustment, and the drivers side is about one thread from being maxed. The ride is much better but I read I should have a inch above the bump stops. With the driver side maxed there must be something wrong with that bar. Should I look to replace the bar or both? Or put different keys to allow for more adjustment?

I think that's something an alignment shop can tell you, which one is worn.

The suspension should touch the bump stop.

Are you trying to level it

My guess since I'm not there is the keys worn, but the bars can get metal fatigue also.

Handmedown04 bumps stops do not last that long, you should replace them. A cheap fix. (y)

Nothing wrong with torsion bars having more thread showing on one side or the other.

As I am told they are set to get even ride height from left to right.

And since there are manufacturing tolerances I can see where one has more thread showing than the other.

I have put in 2 1/4 keys after adjustment i still have 1/2" difference between driver and passenger sides. Driver side is all the way up and passenger side is all the way down. PLEASE HELP!

I have put in 2 1/4 keys after adjustment i still have 1/2" difference between driver and passenger sides. Driver side is all the way up and passenger side is all the way down. PLEASE HELP!
Most of the time there will be a difference between the passenger side v. driver side due to the fact that driver side always has weight on it and also the gas tank puts most of it's weight on driver side as well. If your suspension is mostly original it could have a sag due to age and in order to make it perfect you may need new springs and shocks..

Back