• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best Removal Process for Decals?

Hug_R_Av

PM 2017
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2004
As many of you are aware my 02 has ghost flames on it.
It has become my sons daily driver and he said that it was my thing not his.

They have been on there over 10 years.
Many thanks to Tribal_Av for providing such a fantastic product.

index.php

Anyone have any suggestions on a good removal process?

Obviously with them being on there so long when you try to remove them just tiny chips come off.

Thanks
Hugz

Decal remover wheel. It's like a big eraser that attaches to your drill.

Then lots of goo gone to finish up.

Don't forget to wax.

3M stripe off wheel. they come in a few different sizes and configs to be mounted to a drill or grinder. you can get one for around $30. With that much area, you'll probably need 2, maybe 3
here's one on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063VT0G/ref=twister_B072T66N3P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you can, let it sit out in the sun and warm it up, then pull into the shade to strip. If not, an electric blanket works too for warming up a large section at one time(not sure if you have a need for those where you live). You can work small sections at a time with a hair dryer on high or a heat gun on low (be careful with a heat gun though). Being on for so long, they might still be slightly visible after removal due to clearcoat deterioration. He'll probably have to compound the whole AV to get a uniform finish after removal.

Goo Gone or  even WD40 will help get the leftover crap off.

I would definitely wait for a warm day and let it sit in the sun to warm it up before I tried it.

Heat gun & plastic razor blades is one method.
Eraser wheel is another.
Then clean up with Goo Gone or Goof Off.

Usually I try them in that order & figure out which one works best.

Will update as the work starts..  Waiting for supplies to come in..

I know it's been yrs. since thread start, but JIC anyone needs a great remover, try a plastic scraper to a warm decal. I found one on Amazon the works great.

Plastic Razor Blades Scraper Tool - 2 Pack Wall Paint Remover with 100 Pcs Plastic Blades Kit No Scratch Car Window Glass Wood Sticker Removal Floor Stove Kitchen Vinyl Adhesive Decal Tape Cleanings https://a.co/d/hvdmlVn

Back