Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/17/17 10:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake reccomendations for 2013  (Read 194 times)
selbyj

Awards
« on: 10/22/17 02:34 pm »

AM starting to look into brake pad and rotor replacements for my 2013 Avalanche.  Am starting to periodically get indications the it is getting time for the front.  Plus never have been a great fan of the typical GM truck brake fade from the OEM setup.  Have been reviewing the posts on the forum and see many brands mentioned, but it seems that for everyone that has had success and are happy, there are just as many that have had problems with that same brand.  Also seems that the majority of the posts are for the older models and doing a GMT800 to GMT900 upgrade.  Brands under consideration are EBC, Brakemotive, Ppower Stop, Hawker Performance. Seems a lot of the replacements (to include all of the brands mentioned) are only getting 16,000 to 20,000 miles before having to replace again, which seems very bad considering that the OEM brakes last so much longer, which make me think about sticking with OEM pads and just upgrading to slotted rotors since we all know the OEM rotors are garbage.
JohnnieMo
CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member

Calgary, Alberta

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 10/23/17 10:05 am »

I did EBC slotted and dimpled rotors along with Yellowstuff pads.  This is a very aggressive combination and the the results are excellent.  Stopping power is probably 20 to 30% better than stock.  However the pads wear fast and dust a lot.  In fact, it's not really dust.... it's more like a caked cruddy mess.  However with that being said, my truck is not for show and I am happy with the extra mess.

EBC did great by me as they replaced the rotors and pads for free when my shop screwed up with a rotor skimming exercise (which I would not recommend).

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4x4 (Black)
          -5.3L V8, Magnacharger, Corsa Touring, Volant CAI, Custom Tune, EBC Brakes, Towing Upgrades, 339RWHP, 371RWTQ
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500HD
          -6.6L Duramax with Allison.  Has taken over the bulk of towing duties from the Avalanche
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT
1999 30th Anniversary Pontiac Trans Am (#1321)
          -Vortech Supercharger, 491RWHP, Countless Upgrades
2013 Tigé Z1
2005 Larson Senza 186 Bowrider
selbyj

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 11/13/17 06:10 pm »

Put winter tires on yesterday and did brake inspection.  The pads still look good Thumbs up!, ~half the pad worn after ~57,000 miles.  The calipers do not appears to be frozen or anything.  Am guessing the stock rotors are warping as they heat up because it is only after driving a while that get a slight vibration in steering wheel during braking.  Maybe next spring when summer tires go back on may look at replacing at least the front rotors to see if that goes away.  The way the stock pads are wearing thing would be just as well off to stick with the stock pads for replacements.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: