• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Speedometer and RPM needle going CRAZY!

Jronguitar

Hello All.

In the last month my speedometer and RPM needle has been inaccurate. No rime or reason, could be 30 mph over or 5 under, never the same. Just today after filling up the gas gauge is steady at 6 o'clock.

Are there any masters in here that can lead me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance everybody!

Stepper motors on the back of the gauges are going bad. Google it & you'll find it's pretty common on Chevys. You can either buy new stepper motors & do the soldering yourself. Or have someone go thru the whole cluster. I had mine done by a shop in Okla.... he goes by Jethound1 on EBay. Cost me a bit over $130 & he replaced all the stepper motors & the lights with blue LEDs. Took about a week. The truck drives fine without the cluster installed.
Also, you can have them add a transmission temp gauge.

I didn't. Brain fart on my part.  (y) Actually I didn't find out this was possible till later, when I found out the truck was tracking this info, even though the truck doesn't have a gauge. Now I use my Droid to see transmission temp with the Torque app.
When mine started acting up, it was the oil pressure & voltage gauges. Haven't had any problems since.

Generally if you replace all of the stepper motors with the latest and greatest you shouldn't have any further issues.

Chances are if you contact the place that did your cluster you can have them add the trans meter. MAY require reprogramming but would also be a good time to look into replacing the face and or needles too.

I had a white face and blue needles put in mine with the blue LEDS... Looks great.

Rodney

I hear ya loud and clear Rodney, I'm taking the same road.

Found everything needed on Ebay for under $50

Adding the Trans Temp too.

I'll just shoot over to my pompous chevy dealer and allow them to program.

Pics to follow...

Added a cluster with temp gauge in my 03 plugged it in works great.
No programing. 

(y)

Depending on your AV, you may or may not have to have the flash for the temp gauge to work, weird but some you do some you don't.  The sensor is already there sending a signal wether you have it or not.  Be careful with the soldering iron when you replace the stepper motors, make sure you mark you gauge needles and when you get to putting your speedometer needle on, I found that if you put your cluster back in without the clear face, then use a GPS and set your speed to sixty with the cruise control , its fairly easy to slip the needle on and your good to go.  Hope this helps.

Didit

Mine just needed the motor added and had the right program BUT mine was a replacement cluster in the first place. If yours was the factory original it MAY not have the program. Only way to know for sure is change the motor, add the needle and the new face with the temp gauge and see if it responds. If it DOESN'T respond THEN you need it programmed for the sensor. And chances are pretty good the dealer won't do it. If your truck was a 3/4 tone they would since it comes with it but you MAY have to go to someone that can reprogram them.

Rodney

Back