• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Advice on Bluetooth Interface that's not a POS!

Jronguitar

I've been looking on here till my eyes blurred and now am posting a request.

I have an 05 AV with original GM unit with SAT/Bose/5 Disc CD

Ultimate goal is to have Bluetooth and USB.

I've read some reviews that are good and bad so I turn to you.

Todays modern music is awful, need my own jams.

My ears and I thank you in advance!!

Have you tried customer service at www.crutchfield.com ? They are usually very helpful in selecting the right equipment and wiring harnesses needed. Their website also has customer reviews on products.

X2 for Crutchfield, it used to be a time to just add adapters for Boothtooth and USB.
Today it's better to just change out the Headunit with the modern technology built in.

Jronguitar said:

I've read some reviews that are good and bad so I turn to you.

Todays modern music is awful, need my own jams.

My ears and I thank you in advance!!
google ISGM655 - I have one on my 2004 Bose system and it seems to be a good unit.  Could use more digits in the display but that is the fault of the radio.  I mounted the USB connector inside one of the cubbys and have a large flash drive there as well as the reset switch.  It will also do the bluetooth as well as hands free phone.  Has aux input but didn't hook this up.  Not really cheap at $100 or so.

Thanks for the reply's.

I went full geek mode and ordered the Kenwood DMX7704S from Crutchfield.

Looking forward to all the space age features the new kids are playing with.

I think you'll like it better than adapters, I have 4 adapters on my Nav unit but it still out of date.

Jronguitar said:
Thanks for the reply's.

I went full geek mode and ordered the Kenwood DMX7704S from Crutchfield.

Looking forward to all the space age features the new kids are playing with.
Let me just say that I am not a fan of Kenwood.  I bought a Kenwood KDC-X898 for my Blazer a couple of years ago.  single din - do it all/play it all with a CD, Bluetooth (music & phone), 2xUSB, radio, etc.  I believe very poor quality for one of their higher end units.  Always trouble with detachable face plate connection (I never detach it).  Replaced radio with another unit - same thing.  Outdated when I bought it for USB connection to Android phones.  Also loses all settings whenever battery is disconnected or run down (needs backup battery) and reverts back to a DEMO mode.  To display a clock, you have to program each type of function for the clock (USB front, USB rear, Bluetooth, etc) and then it takes an entire line of the display to put it up in the corner.   Very clunky to find and execute all the settings.  Last week the internal amp started having bad distortion on occasion.  This Kenwood unit in my Blazer was why I decided to adapt my original radio in the Avalanche.  I sincerely hope you have better luck with yours.

Also, Bluetooth makes skips in songs occasionally.  Appears to be an Android problem as I definitely have it on both the iSimple and the Kenwood.  My wife listens to Bluetooth, but I can't stand the skips - so I go directly to USB.  Only good thing about the Kenwood is the rear USB that you can plug a flash drive into and leave in your glove box.  You can Google about the skipping problem during Android Bluetooth.  You didn't mention which phone you have.  Mine is still skipping with the latest 7.0 version of Android OS installed on my Moto 4g.    

I used the stock HU for a few years after adding the PAC adapters to add an amp, sub & BT. Worked great till about 2 yrs ago. So I replaced the HU with a Pioneer FH-X720BT. BT connects without a problem, phone calls are hands free & sound good, plays Spotify or music loaded on the phone great, even Waze warnings are loud & clear.  (y)

Jronguitar said:

I just installed the iSimple ISGM655 and was happy about the easy install.  It paired to my iPhone quickly and is fairly easy to use once you get the button assignments figured out.  I bought from Amazon at a significant savings over the suggested retail.  It is not the cheapest solution, but for me it is doing the job.  YMMV

I used the Scosche Blue Fusion on my 04 2500HD with the Bose stock HU.  I love it.  If a phone call comes in, the radio automatically switches to the correct source and with the steering wheel controls you can hang up and never touch the phone.

Back