• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

6.2L tuning?

maximus16v

Hi Guys

I just traded my 2012 5.3L in for a fully loaded 6.2L model. Up here they are hard to find as most LTZ still came with the 5.3L. Question is what companies make a tune for the 6.2L? Also, is there a way to check if there is a tune on the truck currently? I bought it from the dealer and apparently had a supercharger installed so I'm guessing also had a tune?

enoniam said:
For another 2012 Avalanche or what???

I am guessing Avalanche. I am also guessing that he is in Canada.

Some folks were just talking about the rare 6.2 Canadian AV's yesterday on the facebook group.

It is a shame that they didn't offer it in the states at all.  :(

Yeah he is in Canada, there are a few cloned EXTs there. Can't help on the tuning part.

HPTuners doesn't list it as supported but it does show the 6.2 Escalade as supported.  Probably a rarity issue.  It may be able to do it - if nothing else put in a computer from an Escalade.

As far as seeing if it has a stock tune, HPTuners could download what is in it and do a comparison with another tune - there is likely a stock Escalade 6.2 tune on their online tune repository.

Hey Guys

Sorry I didn't get notifications of replies so never checked back  :E:

Yes its an Avalanche. I traded down in years but only because my old one was an LT and this is fully loaded LTZ with the 6.2L. There was actually some confusion at the Chev dealer as it was listed with 5.3 then said 6.2L in the ad and then 5.3 on the specs. But it had the original sticker and build with it so confirmed was a 6.2L (under the hood they looked the same). I'm loving it over the 5.3L except for the premium fuel but its small price to pay lol!

I'm having issues finding stuff as websites only list the 5.3 option for the Avy. Can I assume if I am buying parts I should just search for the Escalade EXT model instead?

4x4dreamer said:
I am guessing Avalanche. I am also guessing that he is in Canada.

Some folks were just talking about the rare 6.2 Canadian AV's yesterday on the facebook group.

It is a shame that they didn't offer it in the states at all.  :(

Really, you guys didn't get that option down in the US?? It was factory option looks like up here as its on the sheet as $3500 option. Worth it IMO!  But it did put the total cost at just under $70K CDN  :eek:

What year is it and see if you have the L92 option on the sticker on the glove box door.

I'm guessing EXT parts for the engine transmission and rear axle and AV parts for everything else.

Well, this kept bugging me about the 6.2l Avalanche in Canada.

Here it is in 2010 you could get a 6.2L L9H in an Avalanche in Canada

L9H = DOD

http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manuals/2010_Chevrolet_Avalanche_Manual_en_CA.pdf

Attachments

• 2010man1.JPG
    2010man1.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 37
MS03 2500 said:
Well, this kept bugging me about the 6.2l Avalanche in Canada.

Here it is in 2010 you could get a 6.2L L9H in an Avalanche in Canada

L9H = DOD

http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manuals/2010_Chevrolet_Avalanche_Manual_en_CA.pdf

What's DOD?

So I'm guessing L9H is not the same as EXT? Thanks for the info though good to know the code!!

Yes the L9H is in the 2010 Escalade also. DOD is displacement on demand or AFM, thats something a tuner should know.

The earlier EXTs had L92 which did not have it.

When my 2008 LTZ got up there in Km's I loved the truck so; Had a LS376/480 Crate motor installed, and the dealer gives warranty like original vehicle. Needless to say the Tranny was changed - Finishline 4l75e level 5 sonnax, Cirle D 3200 Torque converter, True Trac diff, Doug Thorley Tri Y long tube headers 1-7/8", 44,000lb tru cool trans cooler and a host of other goodies. Allen Nelson from Nelson Performance tuned it and is still making some tweaks, we use an Edge Programmer and he emails me the tune updates, works great.

I know this is a couple of years old...

A few months back I bought a 2010 with the 6.2 engine and have done a little digging into this. As mentioned it was a Canada only option for 2010 only, and you needed to order the LTZ package. The motor is a L9H indicated by a 2 in VIN digit #8 , I had the a rarity check run through CompNine and they came back with only 187 AV's were made with the 6.2. in 2010.

The original window build sheet shows the 6.2 option at $2325 cad and the Nav Rear DVD package at $3580 cad... I think I know which was the better deal!  (y)

There is 118K miles on it, so when I recently changed the plugs I did a compression test and the lowest was 189 and the highest was 192, so now I know the motor is in good shape I will look at a Black Bear tune this spring.

Back