Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Club Funding, or Rather the Lack of It...  (Read 9707 times)

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
  • Forethought is better than afterthought
Club Funding, or Rather the Lack of It...
« on: 11/06/17 08:57 AM »

Folks,

It's no secret that we have less Supporting and Premium Supporting Members than in times past. A whole lot less.

We also have virtually no advertising revenue ($75/yr from one vendor).

Our web hosting alone is $1500/6 mo., a figure far in excess of our revenue.

I just sent SYNRG a paypal payment for $1500. It is mostly on my visa. I had to use the money earmarked for the production of the 2017 PSP Challenge Coins, which I will end up putting on my credit card as well.

Bottom line is that I can no longer subsidize the club with my bankcard as I have been doing for some time now. We have a bit less than four months of hosting left before they send me another bill for $1500. At that point I will have to let the site go dark unless something drastically changes, such as a combination of more revenue and less hosting costs.

I am open to ideas, including the sale of the site to someone that would like to have a go at it. 

If anyone has some ideas please contact me at steelheadchaser@hotmail.com

Thanks,

-SHC
 Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here!

Vaeagleav

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
Re: Club Funding, or Rather the Lack of It...
« Reply #1 on: 11/06/17 10:35 AM »

That would be a shame to see this great site go dark!
I can only imagine the feelings going through you since running this site for so long.

Maybe a Gofundme page could be started for donations or maybe something like emergency fund raiser GTGs on a state or regional level, even having one region try to out raise funds of another in a fun way of course? That might mean a more active brochure tagging effort on all of our parts to try and bring back membership levels and activity.
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

ronthehandymanga

« Reply #2 on: 11/06/17 11:08 AM »

What I think the National GTG should really be for is the funding of the club and the site rather than for some charity in the town that the planner setting up for the GTG and the glory of it.
This site has helped alot of people over the years and I have given my share of money to keep the lights on and would really hate to see it go but like you said the support and viewership are down and that shows in the post count.
I have no other input to give other than stated and I'm looking forward to others comments.

Ron.

02 Indigo blue Avalanche K2500
03 K2500 LT Suburban, work truck
69 CST 396 Fleetside long PU
68 Chevelle SS 396

redheadedrod

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
  • 2003 Z71
« Reply #3 on: 11/06/17 11:59 AM »

Um why the heck are you spending $1500 for 6 months when you could get a server that you pay less than $200 a year? Yes it is a shared server but having a dedicated server is CRAZY to have for a site like this. You can find MANY shared servers for under $70 a year and have the ability to have much more content that this site has now.

I don't understand WHY your spending that much. Even a dedicated server could be had for $200 a month which would be a whole lot less than your paying now. And there is NO reason to have a dedicated server period. Even if there was a store front and a bunch of other stuff here it still makes no sense to me.

I could even add it to a server I have that is seriously underutilized that is already paid for for until February of 2019.

The latest version of this forum software is readily available on the host I use and the forum could be imported into it.

I am considering getting another server for a major project I plan to undertake and I will be paying less than $10 a month for it initially.It won't be until the project is making serious money and using serious resources that it would make sense to go to a dedicated server.

If your not willing to go to a shared server at a cost of well under $100 a year I would like to ask what would that reason be? Especially for a group like this it just makes better sense.

What is the benefit, honestly, of having a dedicated server over a shared server?

I suggested this before and it is obvious no one has even considered it if we are still talking about it. With a shared server that $1500 would have paid for more than 20 years. I don't understand, so please explain to me WHY you don't want to move to a shared server at a considerable less cost? Things like limits on bandwidths or storage just don't exist with shared servers so I don't understand why you won't move to one. I honestly want to know why not. As a person that tinkers with this stuff I really would like to know the reason behind not moving.

Rodney.
2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)

Hugz

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • Double Rainbow find me at the bottom of one!
« Reply #4 on: 11/06/17 02:44 PM »

What I think the National GTG should really be for is the funding of the club and the site rather than for some charity in the town that the planner setting up for the GTG and the glory of it.
This site has helped alot of people over the years and I have given my share of money to keep the lights on and would really hate to see it go but like you said the support and viewership are down and that shows in the post count.
I have no other input to give other than stated and I'm looking forward to others comments.

Ron.

Ron I love like a brother, but I nor a few other organizers I know put on  GTGs for the glory of it at all.
Especially for the large GTGs, Itís Mostly because NO ONE else will dedicate the time needed to set something up.
Case in point. The reason why this years event was in October was because no one else was willing to take the time needed to set something up in the summer.  I was approached to combine them since I was wanting  to return to Tybee to see the area and friends again.

I have to agree that itís a great idea of using the club as the Charity but in the few years Iíve been around the club this have never come up before.
Several national GTGs havenít had a charity nor any type fund raising and they were still great GTGs.
There are reasons why most choose to work with a charity at the larger GTGs.
Most feel that itís a good thing to give back to the community that we are visiting.

Also most donations that are generated for the charity are from proceeds related to a raffle. Over 90% of those items are from other companies that understand that their donations are being used for said charity.
Now if the site could be setup like say a non profit (which it obviously kind of is since it doesnít make one) then maybe someone could convince those companies that their donations would be used to keep the site going.
Are donations from sponsors needed absolutely not but then how does one raise money to give to the site? 

ckeene

• Keene USA Goods
« Reply #5 on: 11/06/17 05:54 PM »

Wait a time wit patience...
05 2500 8.1 with a few goodies
www.KeeneUSAGoods.com  where you can buy American made products!!!

ca2kjet

• WebMaster
  • something secret steers us
« Reply #6 on: 11/06/17 08:08 PM »

I must echo redheadedrod's sentiments. As a technology professional, I'd love to know what kind of storage, bandwidth, processing demands this website is requiring and what it is you're paying for. Would love to look at SYNRG's website, but it doesn't appear to be working (for a hosting provider, that's embarrassing!). Lay some deets out their for the community to see, and maybe we as a community can work to find or even provide the solution.

Black on Black - 2007 Avalanche 4x4 LT3 Z71

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #7 on: 11/06/17 11:22 PM »

Just rereading my message.

Sorry for repeating myself through the message.

If you can post the information about the site and what it is actually using that would give us a great look into what can be changed.

Some sites make sense to have on a dedicated server and if your paying $1500 for 6 months that is $250 a month. Going with a plain Jane Linux based shared server you can get unlimited bandwidth, unlimited disk storage and the latest version of the forum bulletin board for around $5 a month. And you don't loose anything from a dedicated server. As I have repeatedly said, I just don't understand the friction against going with a much cheaper solution.

We lost MP3Car this year due to similar reasons. They were paying $500 a month for a dedicated server and really didn't need to be. For the traffic they had they too could have switched to a shared server for roughly $5 a month. The Plant manager where I worked used to have a dedicated server in his house until he found using shared hosting was much simpler and he handled some pretty big customers that way.

I would hate to see this club fold up and disappear because we had to stay on a dedicated server instead of moving to a more reasonable location.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #8 on: 11/07/17 11:24 PM »

Folks,

Thanks,

-SHC

I sent you a message can't you at least acknowledge it
« Last Edit: 11/07/17 11:30 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #9 on: 11/08/17 07:25 AM »

I do want to mention that I greatly appreciate all that the people who run this club do. It takes a lot of time and dealing with different peoples personalities etc can take a toll. While I may disagree with some people and how they do things in the end we are all here to support our passion for our vehicles. Please don't take any negativity in my messages as a bash or complaint. I am just trying to do my part to understand the problem here and help to resolve it. No reason SHC should be putting those resources and energy into this when it shouldn't be necessary. We certainly don't want to burn out anyone or create any animosity for anyone.

In every club, especially for a club like this with a vehicle not being made any more. There comes a time when some things don't make sense to continue doing the same way. I guess I am just trying to help sort out if that is the case here and offer up a much more palatable option.

I would be willing to setup a test site on my server or possibly host it there if it comes to that. I have a shared server I am not really using right now that is paid for until February 2019. It only has a front page (drupal) right now and using it as a host for one of my classes.  I can do pretty much anything with this site and its only $70 for 2 years. I can serve up to 6 web site URLs on it so I certainly have the room with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage.

The hosting site I use supports SMF 2.0.14 at this time so we could move to the latest version of the forum software at the same time.

4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #10 on: 11/08/17 01:39 PM »

Yes a lower server bill would fit the need greatly but SHC and I are not capable of doing this and have been looking for a dependable geek for some time... someone who can commit the time and energy keep the server and forum software going...

So those with GEEK/TECH/SERVER ideas please send me proposals....
Please, in Laymans terms not geeky terms.
Show me examples of what you propose

Need experts for web page design, forum software skills etc.

Look here for some stats about useage and page hits. etc.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?action=stats

Attachement directory size limit is set to I think 10GB
We have over 135000 attachments & over 6700 avatars stored there.

I know the forum datbase is huge

Help is what we need to keep the lights on.

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ca2kjet

• WebMaster
« Reply #11 on: 11/08/17 03:11 PM »

My background is web design and development but my career has shifted such that I am now an IT director. So hopefully I fit that "GEEK/TECH/SERVER" person. With that said, after reading the first post and realizing the importance of this forum to so many, the personal impact it has had on me with the ownership of my own Avy and the dire situation this forum is in, the thought of taking over this project and giving it new life as well as providing a "safe haven" completely self funded has come at me hard. I was hesitant to really come out and state this, but I am seriously considering that position.

This is why real details of the server load are the most important to know. You can have all the bandwidth in the world and all the server space in the world, but if the actual LOAD on the server is too much you may quickly find yourself racking up costs due to too much use of the shared processing power (in regards to shared servers).

I'd love to find a way to greatly reduce costs, improve the site, spiff it up a bit and host it in a shared server environment. I'm hoping to find out more details on all this as I may have and be able offer a hosting solution, as well as picking up the torch if that's necessary. At the moment, this is all just early thinking... I'm tossing it out there... maybe I'm losing my mind  :P

Attachement directory size limit is set to I think 10GB
We have over 135000 attachments & over 6700 avatars stored there.

Is that 10GB the size of photo attachments, avatars and banners?

I know the forum datbase is huge

How big are we talking? 1GB? More, less? Efficiency of the database and forum software can make a huge difference when it comes to server load, so I wonder what kind of condition the database is in.

[UPDATE]

I don't see this website being bandwidth excessive, but more CPU/memory intensive. So after doing some research and crunching numbers...

It looks like this forum can be averaging anywhere from 30,000 to 200,000 page views per day (depending on the month) and bouncing between 2 million to 7 million per month. With that kind of demand and the fact that this website is a forum which means database driven with many queries on each page load, I wouldn't recommend a shared hosting solution.

However, I believe dedicated is overkill, unless you got money to burn. What I would recommend is a VPS (virtual private server). As quick examples, common providers such as DreamHost or Bluehost offer managed VPS plans around $30-60 a month. I'm sure there's many other providers out there who offer roughly the same price range.

Some "higher end" providers such as MediaTemple offer managed VPS but with tiered bandwidth. As much as I like "unlimited" bandwidth, those always freak me out because there's still a limit that the provider can just hit you with if they don't like what you're doing. Oh, and not to mention, many hosts screw you on unlimited space by limiting the number of physical files on the server.

Lots of hosting providers out there, lots of options, but a managed VPS would be my recommendation.

By the way, anyone have specs on average monthly bandwidth?
« Last Edit: 11/08/17 05:55 PM by ca2kjet »

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 11/09/17 03:56 AM »

My background is web design and development but my career has shifted such that I am now an IT director. So hopefully I fit that "GEEK/TECH/SERVER" person. ......

Send me a PM please to discuss further....

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 11/09/17 10:01 AM »

I sent you a message can't you at least acknowledge it

Sorry for being so tardy. Check your messages
 Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here!

MS03 2500

« Reply #14 on: 11/09/17 10:46 PM »

After a few messages with our 2 admins does anyone else besides me want help support the club.

We will not do admin stuff, that's up to them but we can offer ideas to improve the club.

Things like adding more perks to becoming supporting members or Site Sponsors.

I would really like to keep the lights on here and not having the site full of ADs like so many other sites.

Post here or send me a PM if you want to help.
2003 2500

Randy

• Charter Member
  • I charge more than a buck$
« Reply #15 on: 11/10/17 08:54 AM »

Count me in, I'm willing to help out. I want to see this club go on and on..
02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N Intake, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP

Hugz

• Double Rainbow find me at the bottom of one!
« Reply #16 on: 11/10/17 09:03 AM »

After some thought there are a few things that need to be addressed besides just funding.
Several have posted that the supporting memberships are way down. This is going back a year plus at least. That I can remember. Why is that?? Why have people stopped giving?

Why arenít there more site sponsors?  What can we (the club) change to get more?
There sure does sound like theres a lot of daily traffic so there has to be a better way.

If we resolve all the tech issues and costs what are we going to do about the Av Family and the sites future?

Just like anything we need to have some idea of what our direction.  
How do we move forward?
How do we revitalize things to keep active users active and attract other users either new or old?

The site is a huge resource everyone says, but a resource just sits on a shelf like any other book. The site needs to be so much more than just a resource.

What we have done in the past has finally caught up with us and maybe things need to change?

Where are things a year or say 5 or even 10 years  from now??
If we canít answer that then whatís the use of putting a bandaid on our problem.  
« Last Edit: 11/10/17 02:25 PM by Hugz »

Vaeagleav

« Reply #17 on: 11/10/17 10:07 AM »

Lot of great points Hugz!

My thoughts on the decline of membership and sponsors etc. Is that since the AV is no longer made and it has moved in "status" from a new and exciting vehicle to "just transportation" to most people. I'm sure many former members have bought new vehicles and moved on.
Also since it's no longer made it draws less attention on car lots and aftermarket parts suppliers so there is less parts available that fit except for the more universal parts that are shared by the Suburban or Silverado.
I have no experience in web design or website administration but I feel this site could morph in several ways, either a social media site where the friendships and camaraderie take precedence and the type of vehicle doesn't matter as much or we do stay more specific and slowly dwindle away as the numbers of owners decline over time. Then we do become a resource site for those newer owners trying to fix problems of the older AVs.
Maybe if the site expands to a Chevy Truck fan club website with sections for AVs, Suburbans and Silverados it would bring fresh blood onto the site and encourage more social activities and sponsors?
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 

MS03 2500

« Reply #18 on: 11/10/17 10:11 AM »

Thanks Randy you are in. :thumbsup:

Hugz maybe the direction is something we can do. The admins are trying actively to get the site fixed.
« Last Edit: 11/10/17 10:33 AM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

frito

• "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #19 on: 11/10/17 12:22 PM »

Rock Auto's monthly newsletter has the forum of the month. Have we asked them about listing our site there?  I don't know if it requires advertising on the site to be listed.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

MS03 2500

« Reply #20 on: 11/10/17 12:44 PM »

I was thinking something like that also frito, for only 75 bucks a year most vendors would not turn it down.  I'm sure no one has even tried to contact them.

2003 2500

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 11/10/17 03:52 PM »

FYi...
some issues are
active membership is declining....
Posts and new threads are declining.
Page views are declining...

New members is declining and those who sign up seems to only log in once or twice.

people are just less active...

But I can say the SPAMMERS have not given up

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

MS03 2500

« Reply #22 on: 11/10/17 05:40 PM »

That is to be expected since Avalanches have not been produced in 4 years, most newbs log in to ask a question and come back again to ask another question.

I think the best bet is to make it better experience members that have been here over 2 years and get them to support the club.
« Last Edit: 11/10/17 05:44 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

ca2kjet

• WebMaster
« Reply #23 on: 11/11/17 08:10 AM »

Thought I'd put together some graphs to make it easier to see the forum's stats.

Ouch! These two graphs show how much the site is dying. "Everything that can be said, has been said"

Did this site get (and maybe it still is) hit with fake accounts?

There appears to be more people online. Maybe members who are just looking for reference material? And what the heck happened in Jan 2006!?

Page views keep going up. Guessing this site is used way more for reference material now. (FYI - It drops in Nov 2017 because the stats are incomplete)

Vaeagleav

« Reply #24 on: 11/11/17 09:11 AM »

Interesting charts ca2kjet,
Some of your questions could be answered if there was a way to break down page views or new topics according to the section that they occur. Ex: if majority of new posts or looks occur in the Problem section vs. the GTG sections then people are using the site for research not social activities.
I still think social section is declining due to things such as no real tagging efforts to get new members, decline of local or regional GTGs , older enthused members selling their AVs and some members using Facebook or other ways to socialize.
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 

frito

« Reply #25 on: 11/11/17 09:42 AM »

FWIW, I think the sudden decline in page views directly correlates to the Photobucket issue.  One of the things folks like to do is show off their Avys.  Now that it's so much more difficult to post pictures, I think.a lot of people are going to the Facebook group page instead which is a shame, especially since I deactivated my FB account.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

Randy

• Charter Member
  • I charge more than a buck$
« Reply #26 on: 11/11/17 10:31 AM »

Yea, I've noticed a lot of pictures missing from the posts.. I just resize them in paint, it's easy..
02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N Intake, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP

ca2kjet

• WebMaster
« Reply #27 on: 11/11/17 01:37 PM »

The charts were based on the "Forum History" data found here: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?action=stats

That page also provides additional stats including a "Top 10 Topics (by Views)" and the current results are interesting. I think the only way to see more breakdown such as over time of topics and views it'd have to be compiled from the database.

MS03 2500

« Reply #28 on: 11/11/17 05:29 PM »

You know what I find strange, out of the 4116 new members last month how many actually made it through the process.   ???

To me that does indicate we have interest in the club
« Last Edit: 11/11/17 05:33 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 11/12/17 04:28 AM »

Remember NEW MEMBERS is any one who signs up....
Many who sign up are SPAM BOTS from the UKRAINE and RUSSIA etc.
They had a software updrage around the time you see this spike and these people were counted even then though they are not approved or follow up with registration...

One of my chores is to weed thru the new sign ups and delete the SPAMMERS based on funky emails etc...

We use to have a MOD to software that would nto let these KNOWN spammers sign up but alas it is BROKE and does not work anymore hence why this member number is inflated....

SO bottom line ignore this number...

Some data:
I chose a certain grouping of 2000 member sign ups from early this year.
only 15 members followed thru with registration and are members.
of these 15;  2 of them posted for a total of 5 posts.
only a 3-5 have last logged in within 7 days.

I also think page views are increasin due to SEARCH ENGINE BOTS logging data for their use...
This bugs me as they copy the data and keep it for their use to make money selling ads on their site when someone searches for AVALANCHE info...

The Most online spike was a accidently tweak in some admin software setting by dougd way back then.... ignore that one and the rest are OK since the settings have not changed to make the data ok.

« Last Edit: 11/12/17 04:32 AM by ygmn »
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ca2kjet

• WebMaster
« Reply #30 on: 11/12/17 06:01 AM »

Thanks ygmn for the info. That's definitely saddening news if signups have dropped that low.  :'(

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #31 on: 11/12/17 07:59 AM »

As a programmer if there is anything I can help with let me know.

You should also be able to block IP's as well but depends on the software too.

Also wonder if moving to new version would be viable as well.

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

MS03 2500

« Reply #32 on: 11/12/17 10:33 PM »

Sorry I've been on the road all day.

The number one thing everyone can do is become the Supporting Member, without it why should we consider you.

That's including the coordinators and moderators, everyone can afford 25 dollars a year.
2003 2500

MS03 2500

« Reply #33 on: 11/12/17 10:47 PM »

Remember NEW MEMBERS is any one who signs up....
Many who sign up are SPAM BOTS from the UKRAINE and RUSSIA etc.
They had a software updrage around the time you see this spike and these people were counted even then though they are not approved or follow up with registration...

One of my chores is to weed thru the new sign ups and delete the SPAMMERS based on funky emails etc...

We use to have a MOD to software that would nto let these KNOWN spammers sign up but alas it is BROKE and does not work anymore hence why this member number is inflated....

SO bottom line ignore this number...

Some data:
I chose a certain grouping of 2000 member sign ups from early this year.
only 15 members followed thru with registration and are members.
of these 15;  2 of them posted for a total of 5 posts.
only a 3-5 have last logged in within 7 days.

I also think page views are increasin due to SEARCH ENGINE BOTS logging data for their use...
This bugs me as they copy the data and keep it for their use to make money selling ads on their site when someone searches for AVALANCHE info...

The Most online spike was a accidently tweak in some admin software setting by dougd way back then.... ignore that one and the rest are OK since the settings have not changed to make the data ok.

You don't need  a tech weeny, but you have to give up some control.

Remember I told you about untrustworthy people LOL
« Last Edit: 11/13/17 09:54 AM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

HellHoof

« Reply #34 on: 11/13/17 08:12 PM »

I'll throw my hat in the ring to provide assistance / support. I'm a lead web/software developer for one of the largest companies in the US. Some of my side-gigs are hosted on a shared cluster for $20/year. This site wouldn't get off that cheap, but I echo what the others say -- $1,500 for 6 months is way too much.
2009 LTZ

Dalefan

• Mountains and a Truck..What more do you need!
« Reply #35 on: 11/13/17 08:41 PM »

Yea, I've noticed a lot of pictures missing from the posts.. I just resize them in paint, it's easy..

Slightly off topic, but if you want a super simple way to resize pictures, download this Windows extension. It is the same as the old Resizer Powertoy from earlier versions of Windows. You can even select multiple files and do them all at once. I use it all the time to resize pics for posting.

https://www.digitalred.com/support/windows/image-resizing/
'04 1500 4x4 Cladded, Dark Gray Metallic, leather, 6 disc Bose, Sunroof, assist steps, roof rack, dual visors, G80 3.73 rear, Amber DRLs, All 4 on High, 50 watt 885 fogs, Av hitch cover, Mag Mod, Spectre CAI.

MS03 2500

« Reply #36 on: 11/14/17 12:01 AM »

I'll throw my hat in the ring to provide assistance / support. I'm a lead web/software developer for one of the largest companies in the US. Some of my side-gigs are hosted on a shared cluster for $20/year. This site wouldn't get off that cheap, but I echo what the others say -- $1,500 for 6 months is way too much.

Thanks for the offer there are a few issues I'm trying to work out with the Admins who are super busy and hard to contact.
2003 2500

malbrecht1

« Reply #37 on: 11/14/17 01:06 AM »

I'm a relatively new member, but I thought I would suggest something. If there was a way to make the site mobile friendly, I think it would greatly help new members stay active.

The two biggest challenges when I first joined were attaching pictures to posts and the lack of a mobile website. I use my phone for almost everything and I'm probably not alone.

Just my two cents. I donated because I want to keep the site going as there is a plethora of information on here.
2003 Z71 Cladded

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: 11/14/17 05:25 AM »

Thanks for the offer there are a few issues I'm trying to work out with the Admins who are super busy and hard to contact.
DO NOT STIFFLE members from contacting admins please...

I am looking for all the help I can get.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: 11/14/17 05:26 AM »

I'm a relatively new member, but I thought I would suggest something. If there was a way to make the site mobile friendly, I think it would greatly help new members stay active.

The two biggest challenges when I first joined were attaching pictures to posts and the lack of a mobile website. I use my phone for almost everything and I'm probably not alone.

Just my two cents. I donated because I want to keep the site going as there is a plethora of information on here.
We know but lack the skills to do this at present.

HOpefully when I find geek help they can fix this as it has been on our TO DO LIST for years....

Right now goal is to reduce COSTS....

Then we can fix software and features.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ca2kjet

• WebMaster
« Reply #40 on: 11/14/17 05:36 AM »

You're absolutely right about the mobile friendliness of the forum. Its software utilizes the old Wireless Application Protocol for mobile viewing which is all but a dead standard and modern mobile devices don't even know how to read it anymore. The best course of action on this front would be to improve the forum's theme to handle device scaling. As ygmn pointed out, no reason it can't be done, its just going to take some time getting there.

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #41 on: 11/14/17 09:19 AM »

Sorry I've been on the road all day.

The number one thing everyone can do is become the Supporting Member, without it why should we consider you.

That's including the coordinators and moderators, everyone can afford 25 dollars a year.
Bryon, you know... Sometimes people have more to give than cash... You shouldn't stiffle ANY offers of help. With the going rate of a programmer being well over $150 an hour I am sure if I was able to fix issues with the site or add features it would be well worth the effort REGARDLESS if I was a site sponsor or not. 

Having spent over $5000 in the past year in repairs and nearly $10,000 in tuition... $350 a month in Insurance... $250 in fuel costs... Yea donating time is much more benefit to both me and the club if it can be utilized..

Also wondering if moving to version 2 would offer some upgraded that might make life easier by keeping out spammers and being more mobile friendly among other things.
« Last Edit: 11/14/17 09:23 AM by redheadedrod »
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: 11/14/17 03:06 PM »

Mobile friendliness is something that has been discussed in the past, but as ygmn mentioned, we don't have the skills on hand to make it happen.

Didit

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #43 on: 11/14/17 03:33 PM »

Sorry to be a butt, but I learned to spell a long long time ago, two of you have used the word "stiffle" one is a copy cat I'm sure, however the word is STIFLE, what's this world coming to, lol.

Didit

malbrecht1

« Reply #44 on: 11/14/17 06:07 PM »

It seems like we have at least a few members who are knowledgeable in website design and coding, I'm sure we can make this happen.

Who started this forum? Why hasn't the Simple Machine software been updated or the theme changed to a responsive theme? I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but I haven't seen any changes in the past year.

I'm not a programmer so I'm not the best person to fix the website design, but I'm willing to help out anyway I can.

Obviously the 1st priority is to reduce the hosting costs, but at the same time we can be working to update the website.
2003 Z71 Cladded

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: 11/15/17 04:12 AM »

It seems like we have at least a few members who are knowledgeable in website design and coding, I'm sure we can make this happen.

Who started this forum? Why hasn't the Simple Machine software been updated or the theme changed to a responsive theme? I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but I haven't seen any changes in the past year.

I'm not a programmer so I'm not the best person to fix the website design, but I'm willing to help out anyway I can.

Obviously the 1st priority is to reduce the hosting costs, but at the same time we can be working to update the website.

CHief Started it in 2002 - check the history thread in this section.

Again SHC and I are not geeks and do not know how to update or up grade or add or modify etc...
What we know how to do is press software buttons and try our best to keep the peace and spam free.

So first goal is reduce costs and/or increase revenue.
Second goal is geek who can fix webpages, SMF forum software etc so we do not lose what we have.
third goal is to modify and upgrade webpages and software to make it better.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

frito

« Reply #46 on: 11/15/17 06:53 AM »

Can't help out with programming stuff but I did finally become a premium member.  I figure I pay my annual dues for the BMWCCA so i should do the same here.  This site has helped me realize a I can do a lot of repairs I was previously too timid to try and as a a result, has saved me far more in repairs than the cost of a a membership.

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: 11/19/17 06:51 PM »

Can't help out with programming stuff but I did finally become a premium member.  I figure I pay my annual dues for the BMWCCA so i should do the same here.  This site has helped me realize a I can do a lot of repairs I was previously too timid to try and as a a result, has saved me far more in repairs than the cost of a a membership.

:thumbsup:

MS03 2500

« Reply #48 on: 11/22/17 09:50 PM »

Mobile friendliness is something that has been discussed in the past, but as ygmn mentioned, we don't have the skills on hand to make it happen.

Oh man I've been  STIFLED here, but update SMF to 2.1 from 1.1.2 problem cured. 1.1.2 is from 2011. The email stuff is another story. SMTP
« Last Edit: 11/22/17 10:04 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #49 on: 11/22/17 10:53 PM »

Ok just pass me a waffle then...

I am willing to help out with some aspects if I can. I would suspect there should be an easy to upgrade path from 1.0. I would be willing to test it on my host to see if it is doable if that would help out any. Of course probably could just do it locally as well.

It appears others have more experience than I do so I have no problem if someone else does the work but just putting out there that I do have some experience with this stuff. Not directly with SMF but with similar stuff.

So here is the path I see....

1. Change to a sustainable server.

2. Upgrade to latest version (Upgrading from 1.1.20 to 2.1 sounds like it is reasonably easy)
  SMF instructions to upgrade:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
  Another party's tips for upgrading to prevent issues:
https://www.docskillz.com/docs/index.php?page=page200

3. Run on new version for a little while and insure any issues are dealt with

4. Update the theme to be mobile friendly

5. Look into mods to add additional functionality and security
     (Spam fighter mods and tapatalk appear to be available for SMF 2.x)

« Last Edit: 11/22/17 11:41 PM by redheadedrod »
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

Didit

« Reply #50 on: 11/23/17 04:06 AM »

Funny Byron, but you know, seriously this is the stuff that should have of taken place 5 or so years ago!  I know I have sent a couple of private messages to SHC and they have gone unanswered, after awhile you just go pfffftt and say screw it, it ain't worth the effort and kind of forget about it for a bit.   JMHO

Didit

frito

« Reply #51 on: 11/23/17 07:15 AM »

So here is the path I see....

1. Change to a sustainable server.

2. Upgrade to latest version (Upgrading from 1.1.20 to 2.1 sounds like it is reasonably easy)
  SMF instructions to upgrade:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
  Another party's tips for upgrading to prevent issues:
https://www.docskillz.com/docs/index.php?page=page200

3. Run on new version for a little while and insure any issues are dealt with

4. Update the theme to be mobile friendly

5. Look into mods to add additional functionality and security
     (Spam fighter mods and tapatalk appear to be available for SMF 2.x)

And then invite all the folks who have moved on to FB back here.  I miss seeing updates to build threads, etc.

MS03 2500

« Reply #52 on: 11/25/17 08:50 PM »

Funny Byron, but you know, seriously this is the stuff that should have of taken place 5 or so years ago!  I know I have sent a couple of private messages to SHC and they have gone unanswered, after awhile you just go pfffftt and say screw it, it ain't worth the effort and kind of forget about it for a bit.   JMHO

Didit

True but don't hate on them, they said they are not knowledgeable. The question is will they accept help. At my old job I did what Syrnrg does and the first rule is don't help the admins because if it does not work they are going to blame you and the company will be POed at you because now you have to fix their problems.

PAY THE BILL
« Last Edit: 11/25/17 09:08 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

BooomerX

• 2004 Summit White WBH 4X4
« Reply #53 on: 11/26/17 03:44 PM »

I'll add some insight from the Facebook Group. We try to promote membership to the Club. It is included as one of the questions to join the group. The number one complaint is when they try to join they can't complete the process. They say the confirmation email very rarely gets through. We have been asking them to send a PM to ChevyguyNC and he's been trying to get them signed up. This is for the ones we know about. There's probably more that once the process fails they never try again or say anything to us. To me trouble getting signed up would be the number one cause of membership dropping.
Bought 04 Summit White 1500 4X4 summer of 08. Mods 17X8 Black Rock Wheels, Stainless Fender Trim, Hood  Deflector, Custom 1/4 Panel Emblems, Black Billet Bowtie, Amber DRL's, 800W power inverter for portable PS3 & 13" TV, Recon Big Rig LED light bars, Renegade roof light bar, Hooker Aero-chamber muffler with 3" Dynomax cat back pipes.

igotzzoom

• 2004 Avalanche Z71 4x4
« Reply #54 on: 11/26/17 07:24 PM »

For what it's worth from a relatively new member (not a Russian spam-bot) as well as a paid supporting member....I love the community here, and the helpful, friendly advice and tips. Yes, the Photobucket change in terms was a big bummer, and drastically and negatively impacted the user experience here. If there was any way to natively host and upload images here rather than relying on a third-party provider that could change their terms/EULA in the snap of a finger, that would be a big plus. I understand increased native storage is also $$, but making it a paid premium feature would not be inappropriate, IMHO.

Unfortunately, I do not have a great deal of experience with site management and IT, but as long as CAFCNA is alive and kickin', I'm committed to financially supporting it to a reasonable degree. As others have said, like it or not, the Avalanche/EXT is a somewhat niche vehicle that had a relatively short lifespan, unlike the Mustang, Corvette, C/K/Silverado, F-Series, etc. The level of enthusiast interest will be inherently smaller. Anyway, I would be very disappointed if the site had to shut down. I really hope we can find a way to keep it going. 

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: 11/27/17 05:51 AM »

..... They say the confirmation email very rarely gets through. .....

The email might be sent as late as a day at worse 2 days.
This is because all members are manually checked.
But once approved they should get an email...

What I think is happening is we somehow got on a SPAM list and their emails or email providers block our emails.

If they do not sign up I suggest they get in touch with me some how via you or other member as I have not seen ChevyguyNC log on in a while.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #56 on: 11/27/17 11:31 AM »

I know personally 3 different people that attempted to get into this system and were unable to. One of them I did mention to admins here but nothing happened. So it certainly IS a problem that needs to be resolved and is not seen in the statistics.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

BooomerX

« Reply #57 on: 11/27/17 12:16 PM »

I know personally 3 different people that attempted to get into this system and were unable to. One of them I did mention to admins here but nothing happened. So it certainly IS a problem that needs to be resolved and is not seen in the statistics.
I feel it's a lot bigger problem than Admins realize. There's a lot of participation on the Facebook group with no where near the member count as here. We really need to put a "FIX" in place for getting members registered.Maybe a link specifically for registering posted to the group?  I'm going to try a post in the group to see if I can get a sample of how many in the group are members and how many are not or tried and still not a member.
Bought 04 Summit White 1500 4X4 summer of 08. Mods 17X8 Black Rock Wheels, Stainless Fender Trim, Hood  Deflector, Custom 1/4 Panel Emblems, Black Billet Bowtie, Amber DRL's, 800W power inverter for portable PS3 & 13" TV, Recon Big Rig LED light bars, Renegade roof light bar, Hooker Aero-chamber muffler with 3" Dynomax cat back pipes.

frito

« Reply #58 on: 11/27/17 03:17 PM »

I feel it's a lot bigger problem than Admins realize. There's a lot of participation on the Facebook group with no where near the member count as here. We really need to put a "FIX" in place for getting members registered.Maybe a link specifically for registering posted to the group?  I'm going to try a post in the group to see if I can get a sample of how many in the group are members and how many are not or tried and still not a member.
That might be part of the issue but there are some longstanding members with really COOL build that are in the FB group that I rarely to never see around here anymore.  That bums me out since I deactivated my FB account.

Willyorca

• All because of a truck...
« Reply #59 on: 11/27/17 06:36 PM »

So I'm not a computer geek or anything like that and I don't believe you can fix something by just throwing money at it, but in this case it's all I can do.  This club has been important to me and while I'm not the most active member, I'll still give my support.  I look forward to seeing my 2017 badge and getting a new Avy sticker...

Brenda
Always up for a GTG!  GTG's Attended In: NJ, DE, MD, NY, ON (Canada), CT, FL, GA, PA, MA, TN, NC, WV.
Big GTG's:  Niagara I & II, multiple STI's, Pigeon Forge 2008 Nat'l, MCM, 2016 Charlotte Nat'l

BooomerX

« Reply #60 on: 11/27/17 08:37 PM »

This is a sample of the survey of 210 members so far of the 2790 members total in the Facebook group.
142 Facebook group members registered to CAFCNA  There are some of these that have forgot their password and can't get the reset email
  35 Facebook group members not registered to CAFCNA These did not say if they tried to register.        17%
  33 Facebook group members  who tried to register to CAFCNA but couldn't                                         16%

Would it be safe to say that 33% of potential members that are steered to CAFCNA site from the Facebook group didn't try or couldn't get registered?
We are adding about 20 to 30 people a week to the Facebook group and about half that many more are being declined for suspicious profiles. So far we've done a pretty good job of keeping spammers, scammers, and hackers out of the group. Yes we look at every join request profile.

My point here is that this needs to be fixed and streamlined so people can register for the site and have easier access to it. I love this site. It has helped me tremendously with my Avalanche and allowed me to be able to help others with theirs. I've made a lot of new friends here and had great times at a few GTG's. I hope that before it's too late that there is serious consideration given to the ones that have offered to help and things get back on track.
« Last Edit: 11/28/17 06:18 PM by BooomerX »

MS03 2500

« Reply #61 on: 11/27/17 08:49 PM »

I think it's a huge problem also and the way ygmn is weeding thru the new memberships request is crazy.

The way one of my other forums is doing it is only accepting members request with email addresses from major email systems like Gmail.  They have a lot more security than most systems and gmail is free.
2003 2500

MS03 2500

« Reply #62 on: 11/27/17 09:07 PM »

I just took a look at your facebook post BoomerX holly crap.  :o :o
2003 2500

z71-06

« Reply #63 on: 11/27/17 10:06 PM »

Joining the forum is a PITA, I requested probably 4 times from two different email accounts, one of them being a completely unused account with 0 spam activity yet, checked the spam folder every day for a week and got nothing, took me over a month to get signed up and that only happened because I found the Facebook group and found an admin there.

MS03 2500

« Reply #64 on: 11/27/17 10:52 PM »

I don't think there are any  admins on facebook any longer.
2003 2500

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #65 on: 11/27/17 11:02 PM »

Well it all goes back to the fundamentals...

We need to get a sustainable server... Then need to upgrade the forum to the latest version. I suspect we do that and the issues with registering goes away. The newest version has a bunch of anti spam mods available for it as well so spammers can be rooted out automatically so we can get registrations working properly again.

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

MS03 2500

« Reply #66 on: 11/27/17 11:05 PM »

Humm maybe a virtual server in a server farm. ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_server.

The days of a standalone server are long gone.
« Last Edit: 11/27/17 11:13 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: 11/28/17 04:04 AM »

Issue seems to be new registers do not get our EMAIL.

I check everyday and we get 5-10 legit people sign up.
Forum software send the the sign up email at the same time.
Some follow thru while most do not.

So not sure if issue is emails going out....
or they get blocked after they leave.

Years ago our EMails were marked as SPAMMED by some providers and blocked.

Again...
OF you know someone trying to sign up.
Send me PM
List their EMail and if possible USERNAME.
I will find it if it exists and go thru process.
I will stay in touch with you and you can tell them the EMAIL LEft if they get it or not.

I can turn off the spam stuff and let it let everyone on but I doubt we would like that very much since we get about 100-150 spammers sign up a day....

There is auto spam detectors but they do not work 100% of the time. and we found in the end tended to miss more spammers and mark some legit people SPAMMERS.

SO if you want someone to be a member sho is having problem send ME a PM and we will work together to make it happen..... simple enough.

Today I approved 7 peeps and their email was sent 10 mins ago roughly.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

BooomerX

« Reply #68 on: 11/28/17 07:37 AM »

Issue seems to be new registers do not get our EMAIL.

I check everyday and we get 5-10 legit people sign up.
Forum software send the the sign up email at the same time.
Some follow thru while most do not.

So not sure if issue is emails going out....
or they get blocked after they leave.

Years ago our EMails were marked as SPAMMED by some providers and blocked.

Again...
OF you know someone trying to sign up.
Send me PM
List their EMail and if possible USERNAME.
I will find it if it exists and go thru process.
I will stay in touch with you and you can tell them the EMAIL LEft if they get it or not.

I can turn off the spam stuff and let it let everyone on but I doubt we would like that very much since we get about 100-150 spammers sign up a day....

There is auto spam detectors but they do not work 100% of the time. and we found in the end tended to miss more spammers and mark some legit people SPAMMERS.

SO if you want someone to be a member sho is having problem send ME a PM and we will work together to make it happen..... simple enough.

Today I approved 7 peeps and their email was sent 10 mins ago roughly.

From what I understand the email is broken and what you are sending out isn't getting to them and they have no way of knowing you sent anything. Do a little test for me and send me a test email from the club email that you use to confirm registration to my Gmail BooomerX@gmail.com and let's see if it goes through. I haven't gotten any email notifications to my Gmail account from the club since the server change.
Trying to only fix the email issue is like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound. The patient is still bleeding. I still feel like there's several people here that are more than capable of helping y'all get the server and software issue fixed if you give them the chance.

frito

« Reply #69 on: 11/28/17 07:47 AM »

From what I understand the email is broken and what you are sending out isn't getting to them and they have no way of knowing you sent anything. Do a little test for me and send me a test email from the club email that you use to confirm registration to my Gmail BooomerX@gmail.com and let's see if it goes through. I haven't gotten any email notifications to my Gmail account from the club since the server change.
Trying to only fix the email issue is like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound. The patient is still bleeding. I still feel like there's several people here that are more than capable of helping y'all get the server and software issue fixed if you give them the chance.
Just an FYI, one thing the test won't tell you is if Gmail has flagged the site as spam and blocks them from getting to us.  Is there an email trace function on the server that can be used to see how far it gets?

EXT4ME

• ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #70 on: 11/28/17 08:38 AM »

I think it would also be helpful if some of the web pages for the site be updated and modified to show correct information.

The Supporting Member page is just one example.

This page contains outdated and incorrect information which may be confusing or misleading to members wanting to contribute.

Is there anyone involved with the admin group that has access, or can give access to someone that would be willing and able to review site based web pages to make sure all provided information is correct and current?
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

greatgab

« Reply #71 on: 11/28/17 11:19 AM »

The lack of pictures (I can't even load a new Avatar pic) and the new member login process... seem to be the biggest problems with the website - that's why the facebook groups are taking off! As for the financial problems... sell more (unique) Avalanche stuff.
2013 White Diamond LTZ 4x4 - Volant CAI - Corsa Sport cat back - MSD Ignition - Superchips performance tune - Amber DRLs - Billet grille

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #72 on: 11/28/17 11:34 AM »

Again, doing anything else on this site in its currently unsustainable condition is not advisable.

Time spent trying to fix the issues would be wasted if moved to another server and the software updated.

I suspect many of the issues will go away with the newer version of the forum.

As to the Spammer blockers. If you look at the mods there are some that are part of a network of shared spammer IP's. Those won't let known IP's even connect.

Including a captcha type registration requirement to finish the registration and then follow up with required email verification will weed out a vast majority of spammers that aren't denied with the IP blocking. Most sites I use have this type of setup and even when the occasional spammer makes it through it is easy to remove them. or require admin approval of messages initially for the first few messages assuming this forum allows that stuff.

Removes MUCH of the admin duties when looking at new people.

4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: 11/28/17 12:17 PM »

But we do get about 5-10 new signs ups a week that get the email and follow thru....

I cannot send the email as the forum software does it.
you have to go thru sign up process.

Check this thread for new members....
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,118301.4000.html

they get the email.

email notification from forum posts is a different issue then sign ups.

I have had one person offer to help us on the tech side and he has started his process of fixing things....
Cheaper server is up first,.

SO if you know peeps who can help.... tell them to send me a PM and we can discuss.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: 11/28/17 12:22 PM »

I think it would also be helpful if some of the web pages for the site be updated and modified to show correct information.

The Supporting Member page is just one example.

This page contains outdated and incorrect information which may be confusing or misleading to members wanting to contribute.

Is there anyone involved with the admin group that has access, or can give access to someone that would be willing and able to review site based web pages to make sure all provided information is correct and current?

Fixing a bunch of web pages is on the TO do List which is over 20 items long not counting server issues.
Heck getting the Copright date correct is one of them.

Fixing the old photo album is another which provides Supporting members storage is on the list but it got hacked years ago and had to be hidden due to Extensive SPAM.... but hopefully we can get that back up and running so peep can store post pictures in there as intended years ago.

Plenty of things to do.... but it takes time and has a certain order to it....
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: 11/28/17 12:24 PM »

..... sell more (unique) Avalanche stuff.

We really do not sell anything other than stickers and the coin but this is a good idea and something we can discuss...
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: 11/28/17 12:33 PM »

Again, doing anything else on this site in its currently unsustainable condition is not advisable.

Time spent trying to fix the issues would be wasted if moved to another server and the software updated.

I suspect many of the issues will go away with the newer version of the forum.

As to the Spammer blockers. If you look at the mods there are some that are part of a network of shared spammer IP's. Those won't let known IP's even connect.

Including a captcha type registration requirement to finish the registration and then follow up with required email verification will weed out a vast majority of spammers that aren't denied with the IP blocking. Most sites I use have this type of setup and even when the occasional spammer makes it through it is easy to remove them. or require admin approval of messages initially for the first few messages assuming this forum allows that stuff.

Removes MUCH of the admin duties when looking at new people.

Has CAPTCHA now...but it stinks as bots seem to get by it easily enough or... these spammers are really bored...

Yes there are spam block mods to software but like you said site has to be gone thru updated, cleaned and all our mods re-installed and put back up... so yes this is on the list as well...

but as we are now it is what it is...

For now we are further today then when this first post was published.

but in mean time... if you know anyone with issues signing up have a MEMBER send me a PM with their EMAIL address and we will do what we can to get them signed up...

LAst several new members who followed thru with email had yahoo, google, hotmail, comcast, Roadrunner, msn, live and other email domain thingys..... so it is not email service blocking....

Remember notification is different.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: 11/29/17 05:43 AM »

THanks to those 2 who sent me a pm about helping.
Please check your PMs.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

JASKIN

« Reply #78 on: 11/30/17 07:16 AM »

I sent a $25 pledge on 11/23/2017 to: You sent a payment of $25.00 USD to CAFCNA CAFCNA
(steelheadchaser@hotmail.com) by PayPal and received a receipt from PayPal but nothing from CAFCNA.
You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

2003 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 1500
1968 Chevy Suburban 4x4 K 10 3 door (purchased 1970)

qreaigh

« Reply #79 on: 12/02/17 09:01 AM »

I'm will to lend a hand. just let me know what I can do to help.
2006 LS 4X4 3.42 Sport Red, College Park, MD,
 MODs: Amber's, Kenwood DNX892 HU, FTDRL, wade color matched bug deflector, weather tech window deflectors, bed slide

Didit

« Reply #80 on: 12/02/17 08:52 PM »

Last time SHC signed on was Nov 22nd, I know he has a regular job but 10 days, hmmmm

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: 12/03/17 04:33 AM »

Last time SHC signed on was Nov 22nd, I know he has a regular job but 10 days, hmmmm
What are you insinuating??

There are 2 of us and I seem to be here every day?
Got any constructive critiscm?

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Didit

« Reply #82 on: 12/03/17 05:22 AM »

What are you insinuating??

There are 2 of us and I seem to be here every day?
Got any constructive critiscm?

see post #50, just sayin...............

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: 12/03/17 07:06 AM »

see post #50, just sayin...............
Then why did you not send me a PM, if you were not happy with SHC lack of timely reply?
Or a moderator?

Send me what ever you sent SHC and I can reply to you.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

4x4dreamer

• Have you checked your local GTG thread?
    • Facebook
« Reply #84 on: 12/04/17 10:27 AM »

I don't think there are any  admins on facebook any longer.

I am an admin on the CAFCNA Facebook Page. As is BigCMich, BoomerX, and CntrySngr72.

2013 Black Diamond LTZ

MS03 2500

« Reply #85 on: 12/04/17 11:07 AM »

I am an admin on the CAFCNA Facebook Page. As is BigCMich, BoomerX, and CntrySngr72.

I wondered who was the forth one I never knew his name.
2003 2500

Didit

« Reply #86 on: 12/04/17 07:55 PM »

Then why did you not send me a PM, if you were not happy with SHC lack of timely reply?
Or a moderator?

Send me what ever you sent SHC and I can reply to you.

PM sent and SHC is an admin, thought it would be taken care of, guess I was wrong!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: 12/05/17 04:12 AM »

PM sent and SHC is an admin, thought it would be taken care of, guess I was wrong!
your issue is resolved...
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Didit

« Reply #88 on: 12/05/17 04:31 AM »

lol ty

Didit

« Reply #89 on: 12/05/17 04:37 AM »

Now as a suggestion, I can't see the reasoning for waiting until April or so before the announcement for opening of 2018 fee's for the bowtie.  Why is it not Jan 1, ?

Didit

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: 12/05/17 11:25 AM »

Now as a suggestion, I can't see the reasoning for waiting until April or so before the announcement for opening of 2018 fee's for the bowtie.  Why is it not Jan 1, ?

Didit
Should be... heck we used to do it in December...
But a few things have to happen in the background first...

Nothing stopping peeps from paying for 2018 early
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Vaeagleav

« Reply #91 on: 12/05/17 05:28 PM »

I guess it would make it easy to finally make the 2017 coins and ship them with matching number 2018 coins?  :4:
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 

MS03 2500

« Reply #92 on: 12/07/17 10:43 PM »

Folks,

It's no secret that we have less Supporting and Premium Supporting Members than in times past. A whole lot less.

We also have virtually no advertising revenue ($75/yr from one vendor).

Our web hosting alone is $1500/6 mo., a figure far in excess of our revenue.

I just sent SYNRG a paypal payment for $1500. It is mostly on my visa. I had to use the money earmarked for the production of the 2017 PSP Challenge Coins, which I will end up putting on my credit card as well.

Bottom line is that I can no longer subsidize the club with my bankcard as I have been doing for some time now. We have a bit less than four months of hosting left before they send me another bill for $1500. At that point I will have to let the site go dark unless something drastically changes, such as a combination of more revenue and less hosting costs.

I am open to ideas, including the sale of the site to someone that would like to have a go at it. 

If anyone has some ideas please contact me at steelheadchaser@hotmail.com

Thanks,

-SHC

So we have until to May pay the next tab, no worries I promised sperry I would try my best to get the site going.
2003 2500

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #93 on: 12/07/17 11:31 PM »

Well hopefully we will have a more sustainable solution in place and in operation before then so we can insure a better likelihood of this place sticking around.

Just paid my Winter tuition so I will be sending in my donation shortly.

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

Nick@Night

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member
  • Hold It There, Kitty-Cat! Hold It!
« Reply #94 on: 12/08/17 01:59 AM »

Well, this difficult to write, but here it goes......

As a member of the Club since 2004, and an owner of 3 (going on 4) Avalanches, I have only supported this organization for one year.

The reasons are many, but there's one that really stands out:

This is a "club," that has always been dominated by 3 or 4 shrill members.  Ever noticed that?

Theres a reason why some of us don't post here anymore. For example, how would a reasonable individual be expected to compete with 37,000 + posts.

Often, when some of the site bullies respond to questions, they really don't seem to know much about the issue, at hand.

Take a hard look at some of the posts on this thread, alone.  Difficult to tell whether one of them has an issue with cans-of-courage, or some sort of early-onset brain disorder.

Some of the newer members have expressed genuine concern.  I have PM'd them, with an explanation of my well-known position on this sad stare of affairs.

Most technical issues can be resolved on other GMT-800 & GMT-900 sites.

Please, stop pressuring the remaining admins into supporting something that should be allowed a naturaL death.

Some time ago, I decided to end my posting count at 500.  Thanks to this thread, I guess I will have to settle for 501.

Thanks for listening, and have a nice day.   Nick

Formerly, "SportRedNick"

2003  Dark Grey Metallic Z-71
2004  Sport Red Metallic  Z-71
2008  Deep Ruby Metallic Z-71

"Would trade them all in for one Bermuda Blue"

Didit

« Reply #95 on: 12/08/17 04:08 AM »

Well bummer Nick..............

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #96 on: 12/08/17 02:20 PM »

Well Nick, I do agree with most of what you said.
I too have only supported for one year and purposely left the system for a period of time because certain people on here are jerks and I didn't want to deal with their arrogant attitudes. I probably am somewhat guilty of some of the same due to feeling like I sometimes get attacked and have to defend myself.

I am here to share what I know (And look forward to respectful correction when I am wrong) and to learn more. I have been a member on other groups and I have never removed myself from them due to lack of respect.

Do I think this site should die? No. There is a lot of useful information on this site that would be forever gone if the site were to die. The same reason I offered to host MP3CAR's website. Do I think the disrespect some show others on a consistent basis chase people off?  Yes.

Will I help support this system and try to help keep it alive? I will do what I can because I want to help others and this is one of the things I am passionate about. I am a lot more willing to help out when I know we have a more sustainable presence and would hope that people are more respectful of others.

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

ohiobellboy

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
  • 2 Eagles
« Reply #97 on: 12/08/17 04:39 PM »

So we have until to May pay the next tab, no worries I promised sperry I would try my best to get the site going.

The site was going just fine when he passed away. No reason to try to be a hero in your own mind.

I've avoided posting in this thread until now. FWIW, here's my two cents.

Its' decline in interest can be attributed to social media more than anything.
$4 a gallon gas didn't help either when it came to trying to get the big National Meets a huge deal like it used to be.
Lack of follow up details from GTGs like a picture thread or anything like that makes it hard for a newbie or even a long time member to realize how much fun can be had. It's been that way for a very long time. Even before Photobucket decided to get stupid.
There was a very active core group of members a few years back that have moved on and for the most part, the members that are still active are fairly quiet. When's the last time you saw a GTG thread threadjacked into a 30 page party?
Some people's idea of help without some sort of explanation in an answer sure doesn't bode well to a newer member that might not understand the lingo.
People's interest change. Mine did. It doesn't mean I don't check in here once or twice a day.
There's still plenty of answers on this site, as DougD would say "Search" for it. Although, that turned off quite a few people also. Especially newbies.

I'm sure I'll add more to this as I think on it a little more.

Worst case scenario, and I do mean worst case. Sell the site to Vertical Scope or Internet Brands. They'll pollute it with ads but the info will still be available.
Avy #1 - '04 Z71 Cladded (dark blue metallic) Purchased 9/07 with too many mods to list. . SOLD 6/21/15
Avy #2 - '05 Z71 WBH (Bermuda Blue) Twiggy purchased 11/11 Current mileage 160,*** Now used as my winter beater SOLD 6/2-/17
Avy #3 - '05 Z71 Cladded (Bermuda Blue) Purchased 9/12  for Twiggy. A few mods.  TRADED 3/10/16
Other Summer toy - 2015 FLTRUSE (Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire)  also called a CVO Road Glide Ultra. Lots of fun on two wheels
2012 BMW 535i with XDrive

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: 12/08/17 11:51 PM »

Good Feedback....
Both Positive and Negative...

Thanks!
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

JASKIN

« Reply #99 on: 12/09/17 07:09 AM »

I am a newbie and am not very computer literate-bought a 2003 Chevy Avy 1500 WBH earlier this year and have been helped from members on this site. It is hard to navigate at times but a wealth of information. I do believe the social media thing has hurt not only here but many other sites, the genealogy I was one died because some wanted it on Facebook. I don't know the answer and am on limited funds at the age of 75 and medical bills rising every day so I hope the leaders can find a cheaper site and things can continue. I wish I could contribute more.
You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

2003 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 1500
1968 Chevy Suburban 4x4 K 10 3 door (purchased 1970)

buickwagon

« Reply #100 on: 12/10/17 05:04 PM »

I'm brand new here, so take this for what it's worth:

$250 per month seems very steep for an enthusiast web site/forum. I pay $100 a year to Dreamhost for shared hosting of several websites. Looking at the number of new posts a day on here, I don't think there would be a load issue with a shared hosting plan. There might be a database size issue, given the history, but that could be dealt with by placing old posts in a separate archive database.

Someone mentioned the age of the model and limited run. The 91 - 95 GM B-bodies still have a large and enthusiastic following. So do the 81 - 85 Yamaha XJ motorcycles. Just to name two. I don't see why the Avalanche cannot inspire a similar following.

You have already identified problems with new member registration. I can confirm them. I tried numerous times over 5 months before I was suddenly admitted. I tried from several different e-mail accounts and regularly checked the spam filters for any sign of a response. I don't know why or how I was finally registered, but I still didn't receive a confirmation e-mail, it just suddenly worked.

During this time, I could see that there were some new posts appearing. So I tried looking through the website for contact information to plead my case and found a couple of e-mail addresses for potential advertisers. Messages sent to those immediately bounced. That's likely to discourage potential advertisers.

There is a lot of dated info. For example, the "online press kit" was last updated 2005. Many links in the webstore are dead or "for rent". The links page is full of dead wood. Taken together, it does not convey the impression of a dynamic and current webspace.

Again, that's just my 2Ę. Take it for what it's worth.

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: 12/10/17 05:37 PM »

I'm brand new here, so take this for what it's worth:

thanks for feedback... and most of what you mention is on our todo list.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Pop343

« Reply #102 on: 12/13/17 04:40 AM »

I am new to this new site and was only about 3 months on the other before it was shut down. I will be glad to help on a finanical note, but I purchased a few of your decals on the store site and I still have not received them. Just testing the waters before I step in, seems dark and pretty deep. I am a AVY owner, 2007 LTZ, date of manufacter March 2006, titled as 2007, body style 2007 and purchase most parts for 2006. Stranger things have happened in my life.

That's all,

Yearly Preminum Membership paid also!

Pop343
« Last Edit: 12/28/17 05:27 AM by Pop343 »
Walk tall and carry a big stick

2007 Black LTZ
Love my Avalanche

Gator6

« Reply #103 on: 12/14/17 03:51 PM »

I am new to site as well as a new AV owner.  I think I have had mine 30 days now.  This site has been monumental in resolving issues and answering questions.  I think after four days, I became a paid member.  however, I received no ACK of doing so.  I want to see this site continue (though not at $3000 a year).  I would like to support this site.  I am in favor or annual dues to have the privilege of access to this site. Mandatory dues, I am not sure about that.  However, if I was sent a bill or reminder once a year that my membership was due, I would pay it.  This is a great site and hats off to those who have inveted their heart and soul into.....  Thank you

Gator6
2005 Black Avalanche 1500 Z71

igotzzoom

• 2004 Avalanche Z71 4x4
« Reply #104 on: 12/14/17 11:13 PM »

For what it's worth, I'd say first priority should be to find cheaper hosting, the other issues can be resolved over time.

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: 12/15/17 02:56 AM »

For what it's worth, I'd say first priority should be to find cheaper hosting, the other issues can be resolved over time.

That is the plan...
Working on it now ...
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: 12/15/17 11:55 AM »

Good news

OUr geek has found a new server host thingy that suits our current needs at a much cheaper price per month.
All we need to survive is net income of $60/month so SHC does not have to come out of pocket anymore.

Today I am asking for those who can afford it to donate or sign up for Supporting or Premium membership for 2018.
Giving more then the minimum is great and hoefully we can generate enough money to cover all next year.

Once this server mess is all sorted then our geek will get to work to fix as much as he can and bring back some things that have been broken for some time and add things you have been clamoring for like MOBILE version.

Remember CAFCNA Email address?
Photo album?

So please give if you can as we have 30 days to move.

Thanks!

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

dcn427

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
« Reply #107 on: 12/15/17 12:18 PM »

Good news

OUr geek has found a new server host thingy that suits our current needs at a much cheaper price per month.
All we need to survive is net income of $60/month so SHC does not have to come out of pocket anymore.

Today I am asking for those who can afford it to donate or sign up for Supporting or Premium membership for 2018.
Giving more then the minimum is great and hoefully we can generate enough money to cover all next year.

Once this server mess is all sorted then our geek will get to work to fix as much as he can and bring back some things that have been broken for some time and add things you have been clamoring for like MOBILE version.

Photo album?

Thanks!

That is extremely great to hear. I am sadly with out work right now and can not help. Once I am back at work and caught up on some bills I will pay.

2008 Z71 Olympic White - Bone Stock - Need Mods ASAP!!!

2002 White with Grey Cladding.
First Mod: Clifford 3.3 Alarm with remote start
Now with Ambers!!

ohiobellboy

• 2 Eagles
« Reply #108 on: 12/15/17 02:17 PM »

Good news

Once this server mess is all sorted then our geek will get to work to fix as much as he can and bring back some things that have been broken for some time and add things you have been clamoring for like MOBILE version.

Photo album?

Thanks!

Great news  :thumbsup:
Avy #1 - '04 Z71 Cladded (dark blue metallic) Purchased 9/07 with too many mods to list. . SOLD 6/21/15
Avy #2 - '05 Z71 WBH (Bermuda Blue) Twiggy purchased 11/11 Current mileage 160,*** Now used as my winter beater SOLD 6/2-/17
Avy #3 - '05 Z71 Cladded (Bermuda Blue) Purchased 9/12  for Twiggy. A few mods.  TRADED 3/10/16
Other Summer toy - 2015 FLTRUSE (Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire)  also called a CVO Road Glide Ultra. Lots of fun on two wheels

greatgab

« Reply #109 on: 12/15/17 02:46 PM »

Great news... I'll send you my dues for 17 & 18... but you guys have to help me with my avatar picture!  :thumbsup:
2013 White Diamond LTZ 4x4 - Volant CAI - Corsa Sport cat back - MSD Ignition - Superchips performance tune - Amber DRLs - Billet grille

EXT4ME

« Reply #110 on: 12/15/17 04:56 PM »

Great news and thanks for the efforts of all involved!

I just sent in my PayPal payment for my 2018 Premium Level Membership.

Let's get this thing funded!

2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

Handmedown04

« Reply #111 on: 12/15/17 06:19 PM »

Is this address still correct  if sending a check or money order

CAFCNA
Supporting Membership
PO BOX 25449
Seattle, WA 98165-2349

4x4dreamer

• Have you checked your local GTG thread?
    • Facebook
« Reply #112 on: 12/15/17 07:27 PM »

Good news

Photo album?

Thanks!

Fantastic news!!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2013 Black Diamond LTZ

MS03 2500

« Reply #113 on: 12/15/17 08:59 PM »

:thumbsup: LOL
« Last Edit: 12/15/17 11:26 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: 12/16/17 03:24 AM »

Great news... I'll send you my dues for 17 & 18... but you guys have to help me with my avatar picture!  :thumbsup:
Wait on avatar until after move... and I will help you.
Plus once software updated and things fixed it should work no issues.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: 12/16/17 03:25 AM »

CAFCNA
Supporting Membership
PO BOX 25449
Seattle, WA 98165-2349
Let SHC confirm this please.
« Last Edit: 12/29/17 07:34 PM by Steelheadchaser »
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ronthehandymanga

« Reply #116 on: 12/16/17 08:27 AM »

Sent yesterday, + some
68 Chevelle SS 396

malbrecht1

« Reply #117 on: 12/16/17 08:54 AM »

Fantastic news!! Glad to hear changes are starting to take place. $60/month should be easily attainable.
2003 Z71 Cladded

RENORCR

• (aka "RENO") Too many mods, too little time!!!
« Reply #118 on: 12/26/17 12:05 PM »

Sent CAFCNA Premium Supporting Memberships for 2018

Edward Lee
RENORCR

Thank you
2003 1500 Z66 Black (SVO/PI) - BLT: 11/02  Arrived: 4/03
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: HellWig 7701/7702, FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery

MS03 2500

« Reply #119 on: 12/28/17 11:08 PM »

I'll do mine after January 15 LOL
« Last Edit: 12/28/17 11:39 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: 12/29/17 07:36 PM »

CAFCNA
Supporting Membership
PO BOX 25449
Seattle, WA 98165-2349

Yes, this is current, and thank you!

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: 12/29/17 07:39 PM »

Thanks to all that have stepped up to help keep this thing afloat. I am having some health issues that have slowed me way down. I haven;t been able to spend much time at the compute desk but hope to be able to put some time into catching up in the next few days. Again. thank you all for your continued patience.  :A:

EXT4ME

« Reply #122 on: 12/30/17 04:57 AM »

Get well soon, SHC.

frito

« Reply #123 on: 12/30/17 07:08 AM »

Get well soon, SHC.
x 2.  Take care of yourself SHC.

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #124 on: 12/30/17 08:26 PM »

$25 posted for 2017. Will try to donate for 2018 shortly.

Make sure the $25 I sent gets posted for 2017 please.

Glad to hear new host has been found at a lower price and moving to it. $720 is still a little steep for the year for the traffic we get here but still a huge reduction over what was being paid.
« Last Edit: 12/30/17 08:27 PM by redheadedrod »
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

qreaigh

« Reply #125 on: 01/03/18 09:00 AM »

Just sent mine in for 2018 and a little extra
 MODs: Amber's, Kenwood DNX892 HU, FTDRL, wade color matched bug deflector, weather tech window deflectors, bed slide

Vaeagleav

« Reply #126 on: 01/05/18 11:31 AM »

Donation made for 2018 membership.
Hope there is a coin this year since 2017 coin didn't happen yet..... :B:
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #127 on: 01/11/18 02:23 PM »

Donation made for 2018 membership
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray
03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded

JV

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: 01/13/18 04:29 AM »

We performed step one friday.... so some members may have issues getting to site.
Tell them they need to flush their DNS.

Here are some tips on how to do that:
https://www.whatsmydns.net/flush-dns.html
« Last Edit: 01/14/18 02:56 AM by ygmn »
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ronthehandymanga

« Reply #129 on: 01/13/18 05:45 AM »

That site not found. FYI
68 Chevelle SS 396

buickwagon

« Reply #130 on: 01/13/18 12:06 PM »

2013avalanche

« Reply #131 on: 01/13/18 02:45 PM »

What about Samsung(Android) tablets?

ca2kjet

• WebMaster
« Reply #132 on: 01/13/18 04:47 PM »

Android devices can be a bit tricky. Normally the cache is only 10 minutes and often doing a full power down and power on can clear it. Here's some helpful steps on manually clearing it: https://beebom.com/how-to-clear-dns-cache-android-devices/

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #133 on: 01/13/18 08:54 PM »

With some devices just refreshing the page forces it to dump whatever is cached and go with new.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: 01/14/18 02:53 AM »

So if you do not see MAINTENANCE MODE you are on the CORRECT site now.

Everyone should be here by now.

Also if you get weird errors please post in the feedback section...

NExt step= upgrade software and stuff which is a lot harder then most thnk due to all the modifications and the lack of upgrading over the years... so please be patient as this should hel pyou mobile users in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: 01/14/18 02:59 AM by ygmn »
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

frito

« Reply #135 on: 01/14/18 06:24 AM »

Cool.  Thanks for all your efforts.   :thumbsup:

EXT4ME

« Reply #136 on: 01/14/18 07:07 AM »

Thanks to all involved!

ohiobellboy

• 2 Eagles
« Reply #137 on: 01/14/18 08:31 AM »

NExt step= upgrade software and stuff which is a lot harder then most thnk due to all the modifications and the lack of upgrading over the years... so please be patient as this should hel pyou mobile users in the coming weeks.
Glad to see this happening.

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #138 on: 01/14/18 09:03 AM »

Thanks for the hard work. Hopefully the upgrade should go smoothly.

4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

BooomerX

« Reply #139 on: 01/14/18 10:07 AM »

Absolutely thanks to all involved! Email now sending notifications!

lunchwagon

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #140 on: 01/15/18 07:49 AM »

Just made my 2018 membership donation.  Thanks to the Mods for keeping this place going.
2011 LT 4WD

MS03 2500

« Reply #141 on: 01/17/18 09:19 PM »

Great job, I can't attach a picture and images are not resizing. FYI
2003 2500

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #142 on: 01/17/18 11:25 PM »

If they are in process of upgrading to latest software we will have to deal with such issues for now. No point in having them waste time on issues that won't be there or be different in the new version.

4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

frito

« Reply #143 on: 01/18/18 11:47 AM »

I have to say, it seems like the changes are having a positive impact.  There is a whole lot more activity here the past week or two and many new faces.   :thumbsup:

dcn427

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
« Reply #144 on: 01/18/18 05:56 PM »

I have to say, it seems like the changes are having a positive impact.  There is a whole lot more activity here the past week or two and many new faces.   :thumbsup:

I noticed as well. The page response time for loading now is incredible. Thanks Guys!!

2008 Z71 Olympic White - Bone Stock - Need Mods ASAP!!!

2002 White with Grey Cladding.
First Mod: Clifford 3.3 Alarm with remote start
Now with Ambers!!

MS03 2500

« Reply #145 on: 01/18/18 11:20 PM »

Me too,  I wonder when the other changes are going to happen.

I would love to have the last 24 hours button back.
2003 2500

Pop343

« Reply #146 on: 01/19/18 04:51 AM »

I would like to see the decals I purchased over a month ago from the website. :help:

Received, great / thanks !
« Last Edit: 04/26/18 11:51 AM by Pop343 »
Walk tall and carry a big stick

2007 Black LTZ
Love my Avalanche

ohiobellboy

• 2 Eagles
« Reply #147 on: 01/19/18 04:43 PM »

Me too,  I wonder when the other changes are going to happen.

I would love to have the last 24 hours button back.
They're working on it. Have some patience. I'm sure they don't need reminded everyday that something is not working the way you want it to.

MS03 2500

« Reply #148 on: 01/19/18 08:27 PM »

They're working on it. Have some patience. I'm sure they don't need reminded everyday that something is not working the way you want it to.

I understand this is a massive effort and thanks for doing it.

Next time I will post it in the feedback section as requested.

2003 2500

MrDingo2U

• Ingen frykt Ingen nŚde
« Reply #149 on: 01/20/18 06:56 AM »

As I am just new here i may be out of line making suggestions but i cant help wonder if anyone has talked to Chevy considering there is talk of a new avalanche release. They have a huge advertising budget and I am pretty sure that they operate under the guise of any exposure is good exposure so what better place for it to come from.

offer them exclusive advertising on the site for things like new releases upgrades ect. I have no doubt a phone call and a few emails in the right ear could and would prove fruitful.

Just a thought  :E:

MrDingo2U
2006 LT Z71 Avalanche
Pioneer Head Unit Upgrade
2" wheel spacers
3" leveling Kit
Monroe Max Air Shocks on rear
Interior & Exterior Lighting Mods
Custom Light Bar wired to operate with fog and H/B lighting system
Cubby Customization's to fit additional accessories
Tow Mirror Package added
Fuel Pump and System replaced

Just an old fella realizing another dream come true after way too many years of waiting :)

Willyorca

• All because of a truck...
« Reply #150 on: 01/20/18 08:14 AM »

So I'm not a computer geek or anything like that and I don't believe you can fix something by just throwing money at it, but in this case it's all I can do.  This club has been important to me and while I'm not the most active member, I'll still give my support.  I look forward to seeing my 2017 badge and getting a new Avy sticker...

Brenda
Still no new badge  and I'm trying to post this morning and keep getting a database error? Sorry to put this all here but I couldn't find where to report it.  Hope this posts!
Always up for a GTG!  GTG's Attended In: NJ, DE, MD, NY, ON (Canada), CT, FL, GA, PA, MA, TN, NC, WV.
Big GTG's:  Niagara I & II, multiple STI's, Pigeon Forge 2008 Nat'l, MCM, 2016 Charlotte Nat'l

Vaeagleav

« Reply #151 on: 01/20/18 08:26 AM »

MrDingo2U, first welcome to the site.
Just my .02 but I think GM would consider a press leak to our site would be out of the norm considering their history of new car unveiling. They don't need to sell the idea to the already loyal, they want to reach a broader audience of people who have never considered that vehicle before.
If you look at the future and vision of the AV section you will find that since 2012 when we discovered that 2013 was going to be the last year of AV production there have been many threads about a revival of the AV. Most centered around an old SEMA concept AV or latest has been the 2018 Silverado High Desert Model which has fake sail panels and side storage bins as well as hard bed covers, there is not a midgate though.....I have had car salesmen calling me and trying to lure me on the lot with "they are bringing the AV back" but when pressed on the issue they admit it's the High Desert model.
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: 01/20/18 09:46 AM »

As I am just new here i may be out of line making suggestions but i cant help wonder if anyone has talked to Chevy considering there is talk of a new avalanche release. They have a huge advertising budget and I am pretty sure that they operate under the guise of any exposure is good exposure so what better place for it to come from.

offer them exclusive advertising on the site for things like new releases upgrades ect. I have no doubt a phone call and a few emails in the right ear could and would prove fruitful.

Just a thought  :E:

MrDingo2U

Doubt there is new avy and most is rumor mill "wishing they made new model.

We have several chevy employee members and some who worked on avy - not sure how active they are anymore. and they do not advertise on private forums.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: 01/20/18 09:48 AM »

FYI

FORUM SOFTARE UPGRADE TONIGHT.

we have tested and pretty sure should go without any (hopefully) issues.

Site will come back in latest forum software and similar but different look to it as we shuffle things around in our template.

Knock on wood and hope for the best....
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

MyBigToy

• Too much power is just enough!
« Reply #154 on: 01/20/18 12:32 PM »

Glad to see the advance notice this time!
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, custom metal rear step bumper. Best vehicle I have owned to date!

Daily driver: 2012 Centennial edition 4LT Grand Sport Corvette convertible

EXT4ME

« Reply #155 on: 01/21/18 06:36 AM »

Forum looks great!

It would not take my login at first.

I had to go through the password reset process.

I received the reset email just fine.

I set the password to what it already was, then I was able to log in with no problems.

Good work, team!

Thanks.

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: 01/21/18 06:48 AM »

My suggestion for logging in right now is to click the LOGIN button that brings you to the special main login page where all the log in stuff is located in the center of the page.

Stuff on top is a quick link and does not appear to be working.

Lots of new buttons for me to click but for sure site seems to be up and stable and working...

ENjoy!
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #157 on: 01/21/18 09:02 AM »

Pictures are not working yet but I am sure you already know that. Assuming maybe its a permissions issue for the drive it uploads them to or something... Since it just seems to stall when trying to upload pictures.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

ca2kjet

• WebMaster
« Reply #158 on: 01/21/18 09:31 AM »

Pictures are not working yet but I am sure you already know that. Assuming maybe its a permissions issue for the drive it uploads them to or something... Since it just seems to stall when trying to upload pictures.

Can you confirm the exact file extension and file size that you're trying to attach? Thanks!

Dalefan

• Mountains and a Truck..What more do you need!
« Reply #159 on: 01/22/18 08:13 AM »

The pictures in posts that had them just weeks ago are no longer showing. I have been referencing the heck out of Sperry's Tech Center forum and graphics that were there are no more. For example, on the Grounds thread, there were diagrams for each section, now there are none. Here is the thread:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=103136.0
'04 1500 4x4 Cladded, Dark Gray Metallic, leather, 6 disc Bose, Sunroof, assist steps, roof rack, dual visors, G80 3.73 rear, Amber DRLs, All 4 on High, 50 watt 885 fogs, Av hitch cover, Mag Mod, Spectre CAI.

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: 01/22/18 09:12 AM »

The pictures in posts that had them just weeks ago are no longer showing. I have been referencing the heck out of Sperry's Tech Center forum and graphics that were there are no more. For example, on the Grounds thread, there were diagrams for each section, now there are none. Here is the thread:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=103136.0
THose were from the old COPPERMINE album which we have on the list of things to fix.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

qreaigh

« Reply #161 on: 01/24/18 08:46 AM »

Since it seems this thread has morphed into the tech forum,  I was wondering if any one has thought about adding a "back to top of page button" similar to like what Ebay uses.

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: 01/24/18 09:22 AM »

PLease post suggestions in feedback section so they do not get lost or overlooked.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

rileysanders

• Avalanche..Who'd have thunk it.
« Reply #163 on: 01/24/18 10:21 AM »

Hi Guys, FYI I am new to the forum. Briefly; I am going to buy an Avalanche based on all the research I've gleaned from this forum (looked and driven at least 6). That said I went to the support page because I  wanted to see how you collect funds for paid membership and donations. All I see is the $25/$45 options. Based on the graphs earlier, it's clear the interest in the site is waning, due to lack of production. What if you offered a "buy us a cup of coffee" option, say $5. This allows the casual browser, or like me definite buyer, a way to say thank you. Based on site traffic if only 5% donated to your coffee fund, you'd be in high cotton. Allow a donor to log into a secure CC site for the transaction. It would seem, based on site traffic, you may illicit more revenues that way. In truth I would be happy to give you all $5, for all of the information i got, this site has saved me 100 times that. In truth you deserve more than a cup of coffee, more like a bottle of Jack. I may decide to become a member eventually, but for right now I'd rather give you guys a fiver & sincere thank you, then see where the Avalanche adventure takes me.

As to the mechanics behind setting up payments and all that, I don't know, I'm just small business owner who lifts kegs for a living. And I don't use Paypal.

Thanks for the dedication to the Truck and keeping a great forum.  :thumbsup:

Didit

« Reply #164 on: 01/24/18 10:55 AM »

Since it seems this thread has morphed into the tech forum,  I was wondering if any one has thought about adding a "back to top of page button" similar to like what Ebay uses.
I have one on my keyboard, its called the "HOME" button!!

Didit

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #165 on: 01/24/18 11:28 AM »

Hi Guys, FYI I am new to the forum. Briefly; I am going to buy an Avalanche based on all the research I've gleaned from this forum (looked and driven at least 6). That said I went to the support page because I  wanted to see how you collect funds for paid membership and donations. All I see is the $25/$45 options. Based on the graphs earlier, it's clear the interest in the site is waning, due to lack of production. What if you offered a "buy us a cup of coffee" option, say $5. This allows the casual browser, or like me definite buyer, a way to say thank you. Based on site traffic if only 5% donated to your coffee fund, you'd be in high cotton. Allow a donor to log into a secure CC site for the transaction. It would seem, based on site traffic, you may illicit more revenues that way. In truth I would be happy to give you all $5, for all of the information i got, this site has saved me 100 times that. In truth you deserve more than a cup of coffee, more like a bottle of Jack. I may decide to become a member eventually, but for right now I'd rather give you guys a fiver & sincere thank you, then see where the Avalanche adventure takes me.

As to the mechanics behind setting up payments and all that, I don't know, I'm just small business owner who lifts kegs for a living. And I don't use Paypal.

Thanks for the dedication to the Truck and keeping a great forum.  :thumbsup:
Great idea and something we will look into when we fix those web pages.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 23 queries.