Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Club Funding, or Rather the Lack of It...  (Read 7540 times)

Didit

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • I love the Chevy Avalanche
Re: Club Funding, or Rather the Lack of It...
« Reply #50 on: 11/23/17 04:06 AM »

Funny Byron, but you know, seriously this is the stuff that should have of taken place 5 or so years ago!  I know I have sent a couple of private messages to SHC and they have gone unanswered, after awhile you just go pfffftt and say screw it, it ain't worth the effort and kind of forget about it for a bit.   JMHO

Didit

frito

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #51 on: 11/23/17 07:15 AM »

So here is the path I see....

1. Change to a sustainable server.

2. Upgrade to latest version (Upgrading from 1.1.20 to 2.1 sounds like it is reasonably easy)
  SMF instructions to upgrade:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
  Another party's tips for upgrading to prevent issues:
https://www.docskillz.com/docs/index.php?page=page200

3. Run on new version for a little while and insure any issues are dealt with

4. Update the theme to be mobile friendly

5. Look into mods to add additional functionality and security
     (Spam fighter mods and tapatalk appear to be available for SMF 2.x)

And then invite all the folks who have moved on to FB back here.  I miss seeing updates to build threads, etc.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

MS03 2500

« Reply #52 on: 11/25/17 08:50 PM »

Funny Byron, but you know, seriously this is the stuff that should have of taken place 5 or so years ago!  I know I have sent a couple of private messages to SHC and they have gone unanswered, after awhile you just go pfffftt and say screw it, it ain't worth the effort and kind of forget about it for a bit.   JMHO

Didit

True but don't hate on them, they said they are not knowledgeable. The question is will they accept help. At my old job I did what Syrnrg does and the first rule is don't help the admins because if it does not work they are going to blame you and the company will be POed at you because now you have to fix their problems.

PAY THE BILL
« Last Edit: 11/25/17 09:08 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

BooomerX

• 2004 Summit White WBH 4X4
« Reply #53 on: 11/26/17 03:44 PM »

I'll add some insight from the Facebook Group. We try to promote membership to the Club. It is included as one of the questions to join the group. The number one complaint is when they try to join they can't complete the process. They say the confirmation email very rarely gets through. We have been asking them to send a PM to ChevyguyNC and he's been trying to get them signed up. This is for the ones we know about. There's probably more that once the process fails they never try again or say anything to us. To me trouble getting signed up would be the number one cause of membership dropping.
Bought 04 Summit White 1500 4X4 summer of 08. Mods 17X8 Black Rock Wheels, Stainless Fender Trim, Hood  Deflector, Custom 1/4 Panel Emblems, Black Billet Bowtie, Amber DRL's, 800W power inverter for portable PS3 & 13" TV, Recon Big Rig LED light bars, Renegade roof light bar, Hooker Aero-chamber muffler with 3" Dynomax cat back pipes.

igotzzoom

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
  • 2004 Avalanche Z71 4x4
« Reply #54 on: 11/26/17 07:24 PM »

For what it's worth from a relatively new member (not a Russian spam-bot) as well as a paid supporting member....I love the community here, and the helpful, friendly advice and tips. Yes, the Photobucket change in terms was a big bummer, and drastically and negatively impacted the user experience here. If there was any way to natively host and upload images here rather than relying on a third-party provider that could change their terms/EULA in the snap of a finger, that would be a big plus. I understand increased native storage is also $$, but making it a paid premium feature would not be inappropriate, IMHO.

Unfortunately, I do not have a great deal of experience with site management and IT, but as long as CAFCNA is alive and kickin', I'm committed to financially supporting it to a reasonable degree. As others have said, like it or not, the Avalanche/EXT is a somewhat niche vehicle that had a relatively short lifespan, unlike the Mustang, Corvette, C/K/Silverado, F-Series, etc. The level of enthusiast interest will be inherently smaller. Anyway, I would be very disappointed if the site had to shut down. I really hope we can find a way to keep it going. 

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #55 on: 11/27/17 05:51 AM »

..... They say the confirmation email very rarely gets through. .....

The email might be sent as late as a day at worse 2 days.
This is because all members are manually checked.
But once approved they should get an email...

What I think is happening is we somehow got on a SPAM list and their emails or email providers block our emails.

If they do not sign up I suggest they get in touch with me some how via you or other member as I have not seen ChevyguyNC log on in a while.
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #56 on: 11/27/17 11:31 AM »

I know personally 3 different people that attempted to get into this system and were unable to. One of them I did mention to admins here but nothing happened. So it certainly IS a problem that needs to be resolved and is not seen in the statistics.
2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)

BooomerX

« Reply #57 on: 11/27/17 12:16 PM »

I know personally 3 different people that attempted to get into this system and were unable to. One of them I did mention to admins here but nothing happened. So it certainly IS a problem that needs to be resolved and is not seen in the statistics.
I feel it's a lot bigger problem than Admins realize. There's a lot of participation on the Facebook group with no where near the member count as here. We really need to put a "FIX" in place for getting members registered.Maybe a link specifically for registering posted to the group?  I'm going to try a post in the group to see if I can get a sample of how many in the group are members and how many are not or tried and still not a member.
Bought 04 Summit White 1500 4X4 summer of 08. Mods 17X8 Black Rock Wheels, Stainless Fender Trim, Hood  Deflector, Custom 1/4 Panel Emblems, Black Billet Bowtie, Amber DRL's, 800W power inverter for portable PS3 & 13" TV, Recon Big Rig LED light bars, Renegade roof light bar, Hooker Aero-chamber muffler with 3" Dynomax cat back pipes.

frito

« Reply #58 on: 11/27/17 03:17 PM »

I feel it's a lot bigger problem than Admins realize. There's a lot of participation on the Facebook group with no where near the member count as here. We really need to put a "FIX" in place for getting members registered.Maybe a link specifically for registering posted to the group?  I'm going to try a post in the group to see if I can get a sample of how many in the group are members and how many are not or tried and still not a member.
That might be part of the issue but there are some longstanding members with really COOL build that are in the FB group that I rarely to never see around here anymore.  That bums me out since I deactivated my FB account.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

Willyorca

• All because of a truck...
« Reply #59 on: 11/27/17 06:36 PM »

So I'm not a computer geek or anything like that and I don't believe you can fix something by just throwing money at it, but in this case it's all I can do.  This club has been important to me and while I'm not the most active member, I'll still give my support.  I look forward to seeing my 2017 badge and getting a new Avy sticker...

Brenda
Always up for a GTG!  GTG's Attended In: NJ, DE, MD, NY, ON (Canada), CT, FL, GA, PA, MA, TN, NC, WV.
Big GTG's:  Niagara I & II, multiple STI's, Pigeon Forge 2008 Nat'l, MCM, 2016 Charlotte Nat'l

BooomerX

« Reply #60 on: 11/27/17 08:37 PM »

This is a sample of the survey of 210 members so far of the 2790 members total in the Facebook group.
142 Facebook group members registered to CAFCNA  There are some of these that have forgot their password and can't get the reset email
  35 Facebook group members not registered to CAFCNA These did not say if they tried to register.        17%
  33 Facebook group members  who tried to register to CAFCNA but couldn't                                         16%

Would it be safe to say that 33% of potential members that are steered to CAFCNA site from the Facebook group didn't try or couldn't get registered?
We are adding about 20 to 30 people a week to the Facebook group and about half that many more are being declined for suspicious profiles. So far we've done a pretty good job of keeping spammers, scammers, and hackers out of the group. Yes we look at every join request profile.

My point here is that this needs to be fixed and streamlined so people can register for the site and have easier access to it. I love this site. It has helped me tremendously with my Avalanche and allowed me to be able to help others with theirs. I've made a lot of new friends here and had great times at a few GTG's. I hope that before it's too late that there is serious consideration given to the ones that have offered to help and things get back on track.
« Last Edit: 11/28/17 06:18 PM by BooomerX »

MS03 2500

« Reply #61 on: 11/27/17 08:49 PM »

I think it's a huge problem also and the way ygmn is weeding thru the new memberships request is crazy.

The way one of my other forums is doing it is only accepting members request with email addresses from major email systems like Gmail.  They have a lot more security than most systems and gmail is free.
2003 2500

MS03 2500

« Reply #62 on: 11/27/17 09:07 PM »

I just took a look at your facebook post BoomerX holly crap.  :o :o
2003 2500

z71-06

« Reply #63 on: 11/27/17 10:06 PM »

Joining the forum is a PITA, I requested probably 4 times from two different email accounts, one of them being a completely unused account with 0 spam activity yet, checked the spam folder every day for a week and got nothing, took me over a month to get signed up and that only happened because I found the Facebook group and found an admin there.

MS03 2500

« Reply #64 on: 11/27/17 10:52 PM »

I don't think there are any  admins on facebook any longer.
2003 2500

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #65 on: 11/27/17 11:02 PM »

Well it all goes back to the fundamentals...

We need to get a sustainable server... Then need to upgrade the forum to the latest version. I suspect we do that and the issues with registering goes away. The newest version has a bunch of anti spam mods available for it as well so spammers can be rooted out automatically so we can get registrations working properly again.

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

MS03 2500

« Reply #66 on: 11/27/17 11:05 PM »

Humm maybe a virtual server in a server farm. ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_server.

The days of a standalone server are long gone.
« Last Edit: 11/27/17 11:13 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: 11/28/17 04:04 AM »

Issue seems to be new registers do not get our EMAIL.

I check everyday and we get 5-10 legit people sign up.
Forum software send the the sign up email at the same time.
Some follow thru while most do not.

So not sure if issue is emails going out....
or they get blocked after they leave.

Years ago our EMails were marked as SPAMMED by some providers and blocked.

Again...
OF you know someone trying to sign up.
Send me PM
List their EMail and if possible USERNAME.
I will find it if it exists and go thru process.
I will stay in touch with you and you can tell them the EMAIL LEft if they get it or not.

I can turn off the spam stuff and let it let everyone on but I doubt we would like that very much since we get about 100-150 spammers sign up a day....

There is auto spam detectors but they do not work 100% of the time. and we found in the end tended to miss more spammers and mark some legit people SPAMMERS.

SO if you want someone to be a member sho is having problem send ME a PM and we will work together to make it happen..... simple enough.

Today I approved 7 peeps and their email was sent 10 mins ago roughly.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

BooomerX

« Reply #68 on: 11/28/17 07:37 AM »

Issue seems to be new registers do not get our EMAIL.

I check everyday and we get 5-10 legit people sign up.
Forum software send the the sign up email at the same time.
Some follow thru while most do not.

So not sure if issue is emails going out....
or they get blocked after they leave.

Years ago our EMails were marked as SPAMMED by some providers and blocked.

Again...
OF you know someone trying to sign up.
Send me PM
List their EMail and if possible USERNAME.
I will find it if it exists and go thru process.
I will stay in touch with you and you can tell them the EMAIL LEft if they get it or not.

I can turn off the spam stuff and let it let everyone on but I doubt we would like that very much since we get about 100-150 spammers sign up a day....

There is auto spam detectors but they do not work 100% of the time. and we found in the end tended to miss more spammers and mark some legit people SPAMMERS.

SO if you want someone to be a member sho is having problem send ME a PM and we will work together to make it happen..... simple enough.

Today I approved 7 peeps and their email was sent 10 mins ago roughly.

From what I understand the email is broken and what you are sending out isn't getting to them and they have no way of knowing you sent anything. Do a little test for me and send me a test email from the club email that you use to confirm registration to my Gmail BooomerX@gmail.com and let's see if it goes through. I haven't gotten any email notifications to my Gmail account from the club since the server change.
Trying to only fix the email issue is like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound. The patient is still bleeding. I still feel like there's several people here that are more than capable of helping y'all get the server and software issue fixed if you give them the chance.

frito

« Reply #69 on: 11/28/17 07:47 AM »

From what I understand the email is broken and what you are sending out isn't getting to them and they have no way of knowing you sent anything. Do a little test for me and send me a test email from the club email that you use to confirm registration to my Gmail BooomerX@gmail.com and let's see if it goes through. I haven't gotten any email notifications to my Gmail account from the club since the server change.
Trying to only fix the email issue is like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound. The patient is still bleeding. I still feel like there's several people here that are more than capable of helping y'all get the server and software issue fixed if you give them the chance.
Just an FYI, one thing the test won't tell you is if Gmail has flagged the site as spam and blocks them from getting to us.  Is there an email trace function on the server that can be used to see how far it gets?

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #70 on: 11/28/17 08:38 AM »

I think it would also be helpful if some of the web pages for the site be updated and modified to show correct information.

The Supporting Member page is just one example.

This page contains outdated and incorrect information which may be confusing or misleading to members wanting to contribute.

Is there anyone involved with the admin group that has access, or can give access to someone that would be willing and able to review site based web pages to make sure all provided information is correct and current?
Please consider helping to keep our Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America alive! Become a Supporting Member Today! Without ongoing member support, our forum may have trouble surviving. The annual cost of a membership is very small compared to the wealth of knowledge this site provides. Let's do what we can to not lose it. THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!

greatgab

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
« Reply #71 on: 11/28/17 11:19 AM »

I'm a relatively new member, but I thought I would suggest something. If there was a way to make the site mobile friendly, I think it would greatly help new members stay active.

The two biggest challenges when I first joined were attaching pictures to posts and the lack of a mobile website. I use my phone for almost everything and I'm probably not alone.

Just my two cents. I donated because I want to keep the site going as there is a plethora of information on here.

The lack of pictures (I can't even load a new Avatar pic) and the new member login process... seem to be the biggest problems with the website - that's why the facebook groups are taking off! As for the financial problems... sell more (unique) Avalanche stuff.
2013 White Diamond LTZ 4x4 - Volant CAI - Corsa Sport cat back - MSD Ignition - Superchips performance tune - Amber DRLs - Billet grille

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #72 on: 11/28/17 11:34 AM »

Again, doing anything else on this site in its currently unsustainable condition is not advisable.

Time spent trying to fix the issues would be wasted if moved to another server and the software updated.

I suspect many of the issues will go away with the newer version of the forum.

As to the Spammer blockers. If you look at the mods there are some that are part of a network of shared spammer IP's. Those won't let known IP's even connect.

Including a captcha type registration requirement to finish the registration and then follow up with required email verification will weed out a vast majority of spammers that aren't denied with the IP blocking. Most sites I use have this type of setup and even when the occasional spammer makes it through it is easy to remove them. or require admin approval of messages initially for the first few messages assuming this forum allows that stuff.

Removes MUCH of the admin duties when looking at new people.

4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: 11/28/17 12:17 PM »

But we do get about 5-10 new signs ups a week that get the email and follow thru....

I cannot send the email as the forum software does it.
you have to go thru sign up process.

Check this thread for new members....
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,118301.4000.html

they get the email.

email notification from forum posts is a different issue then sign ups.

I have had one person offer to help us on the tech side and he has started his process of fixing things....
Cheaper server is up first,.

SO if you know peeps who can help.... tell them to send me a PM and we can discuss.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: 11/28/17 12:22 PM »

I think it would also be helpful if some of the web pages for the site be updated and modified to show correct information.

The Supporting Member page is just one example.

This page contains outdated and incorrect information which may be confusing or misleading to members wanting to contribute.

Is there anyone involved with the admin group that has access, or can give access to someone that would be willing and able to review site based web pages to make sure all provided information is correct and current?

Fixing a bunch of web pages is on the TO do List which is over 20 items long not counting server issues.
Heck getting the Copright date correct is one of them.

Fixing the old photo album is another which provides Supporting members storage is on the list but it got hacked years ago and had to be hidden due to Extensive SPAM.... but hopefully we can get that back up and running so peep can store post pictures in there as intended years ago.

Plenty of things to do.... but it takes time and has a certain order to it....
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 23 queries.