Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/17/17 10:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Club Funding, or Rather the Lack of It...  (Read 1215 times)
frito

"I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"

Awards
« Reply #25 on: 11/11/17 10:42 am »

FWIW, I think the sudden decline in page views directly correlates to the Photobucket issue.  One of the things folks like to do is show off their Avys.  Now that it's so much more difficult to post pictures, I think.a lot of people are going to the Facebook group page instead which is a shame, especially since I deactivated my FB account.

Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...
Randy
Charter Member

I charge more than a buck$

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 11/11/17 11:31 am »

Yea, I've noticed a lot of pictures missing from the posts.. I just resize them in paint, it's easy..

02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N Intake, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP
ca2kjet

something secret steers us

Awards
« Reply #27 on: 11/11/17 02:37 pm »

The charts were based on the "Forum History" data found here: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?action=stats

That page also provides additional stats including a "Top 10 Topics (by Views)" and the current results are interesting. I think the only way to see more breakdown such as over time of topics and views it'd have to be compiled from the database.

Black on Black - 2007 Avalanche 4x4 LT3 Z71
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #28 on: 11/11/17 06:29 pm »

You know what I find strange, out of the 4116 new members last month how many actually made it through the process.   Huh

To me that does indicate we have interest in the club
« Last Edit: 11/11/17 06:33 pm by MS03 2500 » Logged

2003 2500
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 11/12/17 05:28 am »

Remember NEW MEMBERS is any one who signs up....
Many who sign up are SPAM BOTS from the UKRAINE and RUSSIA etc.
They had a software updrage around the time you see this spike and these people were counted even then though they are not approved or follow up with registration...

One of my chores is to weed thru the new sign ups and delete the SPAMMERS based on funky emails etc...

We use to have a MOD to software that would nto let these KNOWN spammers sign up but alas it is BROKE and does not work anymore hence why this member number is inflated....

SO bottom line ignore this number...

Some data:
I chose a certain grouping of 2000 member sign ups from early this year.
only 15 members followed thru with registration and are members.
of these 15;  2 of them posted for a total of 5 posts.
only a 3-5 have last logged in within 7 days.

I also think page views are increasin due to SEARCH ENGINE BOTS logging data for their use...
This bugs me as they copy the data and keep it for their use to make money selling ads on their site when someone searches for AVALANCHE info...

The Most online spike was a accidently tweak in some admin software setting by dougd way back then.... ignore that one and the rest are OK since the settings have not changed to make the data ok.

« Last Edit: 11/12/17 05:32 am by ygmn » Logged

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ca2kjet

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 11/12/17 07:01 am »

Thanks ygmn for the info. That's definitely saddening news if signups have dropped that low.  Cry

redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 11/12/17 08:59 am »

As a programmer if there is anything I can help with let me know.

You should also be able to block IP's as well but depends on the software too.

Also wonder if moving to new version would be viable as well.

Rodney

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 11/12/17 11:33 pm »

Sorry I've been on the road all day.

The number one thing everyone can do is become the Supporting Member, without it why should we consider you.

That's including the coordinators and moderators, everyone can afford 25 dollars a year.

2003 2500
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 11/12/17 11:47 pm »

Remember NEW MEMBERS is any one who signs up....
Many who sign up are SPAM BOTS from the UKRAINE and RUSSIA etc.
They had a software updrage around the time you see this spike and these people were counted even then though they are not approved or follow up with registration...

One of my chores is to weed thru the new sign ups and delete the SPAMMERS based on funky emails etc...

We use to have a MOD to software that would nto let these KNOWN spammers sign up but alas it is BROKE and does not work anymore hence why this member number is inflated....

SO bottom line ignore this number...

Some data:
I chose a certain grouping of 2000 member sign ups from early this year.
only 15 members followed thru with registration and are members.
of these 15;  2 of them posted for a total of 5 posts.
only a 3-5 have last logged in within 7 days.

I also think page views are increasin due to SEARCH ENGINE BOTS logging data for their use...
This bugs me as they copy the data and keep it for their use to make money selling ads on their site when someone searches for AVALANCHE info...

The Most online spike was a accidently tweak in some admin software setting by dougd way back then.... ignore that one and the rest are OK since the settings have not changed to make the data ok.

You don't need  a tech weeny, but you have to give up some control.

Remember I told you about untrustworthy people LOL
« Last Edit: 11/13/17 10:54 am by MS03 2500 » Logged

2003 2500
HellHoof
CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #34 on: 11/13/17 09:12 pm »

I'll throw my hat in the ring to provide assistance / support. I'm a lead web/software developer for one of the largest companies in the US. Some of my side-gigs are hosted on a shared cluster for $20/year. This site wouldn't get off that cheap, but I echo what the others say -- $1,500 for 6 months is way too much.

2009 LTZ
Dalefan

Mountains and a Truck..What more do you need!

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 11/13/17 09:41 pm »

Yea, I've noticed a lot of pictures missing from the posts.. I just resize them in paint, it's easy..

Slightly off topic, but if you want a super simple way to resize pictures, download this Windows extension. It is the same as the old Resizer Powertoy from earlier versions of Windows. You can even select multiple files and do them all at once. I use it all the time to resize pics for posting.

https://www.digitalred.com/support/windows/image-resizing/

'04 1500 4x4 Cladded, Dark Gray Metallic, leather, 6 disc Bose, Sunroof, assist steps, roof rack, dual visors, G80 3.73 rear, Amber DRLs, All 4 on High, 50 watt 885 fogs, Av hitch cover, Mag Mod, Spectre CAI.
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 11/14/17 01:01 am »

I'll throw my hat in the ring to provide assistance / support. I'm a lead web/software developer for one of the largest companies in the US. Some of my side-gigs are hosted on a shared cluster for $20/year. This site wouldn't get off that cheap, but I echo what the others say -- $1,500 for 6 months is way too much.

Thanks for the offer there are a few issues I'm trying to work out with the Admins who are super busy and hard to contact.

2003 2500
malbrecht1

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 11/14/17 02:06 am »

I'm a relatively new member, but I thought I would suggest something. If there was a way to make the site mobile friendly, I think it would greatly help new members stay active.

The two biggest challenges when I first joined were attaching pictures to posts and the lack of a mobile website. I use my phone for almost everything and I'm probably not alone.

Just my two cents. I donated because I want to keep the site going as there is a plethora of information on here.

2003 Z71 Cladded
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 11/14/17 06:25 am »

Thanks for the offer there are a few issues I'm trying to work out with the Admins who are super busy and hard to contact.
DO NOT STIFFLE members from contacting admins please...

I am looking for all the help I can get.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 11/14/17 06:26 am »

I'm a relatively new member, but I thought I would suggest something. If there was a way to make the site mobile friendly, I think it would greatly help new members stay active.

The two biggest challenges when I first joined were attaching pictures to posts and the lack of a mobile website. I use my phone for almost everything and I'm probably not alone.

Just my two cents. I donated because I want to keep the site going as there is a plethora of information on here.
We know but lack the skills to do this at present.

HOpefully when I find geek help they can fix this as it has been on our TO DO LIST for years....

Right now goal is to reduce COSTS....

Then we can fix software and features.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ca2kjet

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 11/14/17 06:36 am »

You're absolutely right about the mobile friendliness of the forum. Its software utilizes the old Wireless Application Protocol for mobile viewing which is all but a dead standard and modern mobile devices don't even know how to read it anymore. The best course of action on this front would be to improve the forum's theme to handle device scaling. As ygmn pointed out, no reason it can't be done, its just going to take some time getting there.

redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 11/14/17 10:19 am »

Sorry I've been on the road all day.

The number one thing everyone can do is become the Supporting Member, without it why should we consider you.

That's including the coordinators and moderators, everyone can afford 25 dollars a year.
Bryon, you know... Sometimes people have more to give than cash... You shouldn't stiffle ANY offers of help. With the going rate of a programmer being well over $150 an hour I am sure if I was able to fix issues with the site or add features it would be well worth the effort REGARDLESS if I was a site sponsor or not. 

Having spent over $5000 in the past year in repairs and nearly $10,000 in tuition... $350 a month in Insurance... $250 in fuel costs... Yea donating time is much more benefit to both me and the club if it can be utilized..

Also wondering if moving to version 2 would offer some upgraded that might make life easier by keeping out spammers and being more mobile friendly among other things.
« Last Edit: 11/14/17 10:23 am by redheadedrod » Logged

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 11/14/17 04:06 pm »

Mobile friendliness is something that has been discussed in the past, but as ygmn mentioned, we don't have the skills on hand to make it happen.

2017 CAFCNA Supporting Memberships and Premium Supporting Memberships (the one with the coins!) are ON SALE Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here! Link to Club Store
Didit
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #43 on: 11/14/17 04:33 pm »

Sorry to be a butt, but I learned to spell a long long time ago, two of you have used the word "stiffle" one is a copy cat I'm sure, however the word is STIFLE, what's this world coming to, lol.

Didit

malbrecht1

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 11/14/17 07:07 pm »

It seems like we have at least a few members who are knowledgeable in website design and coding, I'm sure we can make this happen.

Who started this forum? Why hasn't the Simple Machine software been updated or the theme changed to a responsive theme? I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but I haven't seen any changes in the past year.

I'm not a programmer so I'm not the best person to fix the website design, but I'm willing to help out anyway I can.

Obviously the 1st priority is to reduce the hosting costs, but at the same time we can be working to update the website.

2003 Z71 Cladded
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #45 on: 11/15/17 05:12 am »

It seems like we have at least a few members who are knowledgeable in website design and coding, I'm sure we can make this happen.

Who started this forum? Why hasn't the Simple Machine software been updated or the theme changed to a responsive theme? I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but I haven't seen any changes in the past year.

I'm not a programmer so I'm not the best person to fix the website design, but I'm willing to help out anyway I can.

Obviously the 1st priority is to reduce the hosting costs, but at the same time we can be working to update the website.

CHief Started it in 2002 - check the history thread in this section.

Again SHC and I are not geeks and do not know how to update or up grade or add or modify etc...
What we know how to do is press software buttons and try our best to keep the peace and spam free.

So first goal is reduce costs and/or increase revenue.
Second goal is geek who can fix webpages, SMF forum software etc so we do not lose what we have.
third goal is to modify and upgrade webpages and software to make it better.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
frito

"I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"

Awards
« Reply #46 on: 11/15/17 07:53 am »

Can't help out with programming stuff but I did finally become a premium member.  I figure I pay my annual dues for the BMWCCA so i should do the same here.  This site has helped me realize a I can do a lot of repairs I was previously too timid to try and as a a result, has saved me far more in repairs than the cost of a a membership.

Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: