AVALANCHE
Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
12/16/17 03:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Club Funding, or Rather the Lack of It...  (Read 3918 times)
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #75 on: 11/28/17 01:24 pm »

..... sell more (unique) Avalanche stuff.

We really do not sell anything other than stickers and the coin but this is a good idea and something we can discuss...

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #76 on: 11/28/17 01:33 pm »

Again, doing anything else on this site in its currently unsustainable condition is not advisable.

Time spent trying to fix the issues would be wasted if moved to another server and the software updated.

I suspect many of the issues will go away with the newer version of the forum.

As to the Spammer blockers. If you look at the mods there are some that are part of a network of shared spammer IP's. Those won't let known IP's even connect.

Including a captcha type registration requirement to finish the registration and then follow up with required email verification will weed out a vast majority of spammers that aren't denied with the IP blocking. Most sites I use have this type of setup and even when the occasional spammer makes it through it is easy to remove them. or require admin approval of messages initially for the first few messages assuming this forum allows that stuff.

Removes MUCH of the admin duties when looking at new people.

Has CAPTCHA now...but it stinks as bots seem to get by it easily enough or... these spammers are really bored...

Yes there are spam block mods to software but like you said site has to be gone thru updated, cleaned and all our mods re-installed and put back up... so yes this is on the list as well...

but as we are now it is what it is...

For now we are further today then when this first post was published.

but in mean time... if you know anyone with issues signing up have a MEMBER send me a PM with their EMAIL address and we will do what we can to get them signed up...

LAst several new members who followed thru with email had yahoo, google, hotmail, comcast, Roadrunner, msn, live and other email domain thingys..... so it is not email service blocking....

Remember notification is different.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #77 on: 11/29/17 06:43 am »

THanks to those 2 who sent me a pm about helping.
Please check your PMs.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
JASKIN

Awards
« Reply #78 on: 11/30/17 08:16 am »

I sent a $25 pledge on 11/23/2017 to: You sent a payment of $25.00 USD to CAFCNA CAFCNA
(steelheadchaser@hotmail.com) by PayPal and received a receipt from PayPal but nothing from CAFCNA.

You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

2003 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 1500
1968 Chevy Suburban 4x4 K 10 3 door (purchased 1970)
qreaigh
CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #79 on: 12/02/17 10:01 am »

I'm will to lend a hand. just let me know what I can do to help.

2006 LS 4X4 3.42 Sport Red, College Park, MD,
 MODs: Amber's, Kenwood DNX892 HU, FTDRL, wade color matched bug deflector, weather tech window deflectors, bed slide
Didit
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #80 on: 12/02/17 09:52 pm »

Last time SHC signed on was Nov 22nd, I know he has a regular job but 10 days, hmmmm

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #81 on: 12/03/17 05:33 am »

Last time SHC signed on was Nov 22nd, I know he has a regular job but 10 days, hmmmm
What are you insinuating??

There are 2 of us and I seem to be here every day?
Got any constructive critiscm?

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Didit

Awards
« Reply #82 on: 12/03/17 06:22 am »

What are you insinuating??

There are 2 of us and I seem to be here every day?
Got any constructive critiscm?

see post #50, just sayin...............

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #83 on: 12/03/17 08:06 am »

see post #50, just sayin...............
Then why did you not send me a PM, if you were not happy with SHC lack of timely reply?
Or a moderator?

Send me what ever you sent SHC and I can reply to you.

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
4x4dreamer

Have you checked your local GTG thread?

WWW Awards
« Reply #84 on: 12/04/17 11:27 am »

I don't think there are any  admins on facebook any longer.

I am an admin on the CAFCNA Facebook Page. As is BigCMich, BoomerX, and CntrySngr72.

Have you heard???  The 2017 National and Avalanche Family is coming to STI..
Click Banner Above for More Info
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #85 on: 12/04/17 12:07 pm »

I am an admin on the CAFCNA Facebook Page. As is BigCMich, BoomerX, and CntrySngr72.

I wondered who was the forth one I never knew his name.

2003 2500
Didit

Awards
« Reply #86 on: 12/04/17 08:55 pm »

Then why did you not send me a PM, if you were not happy with SHC lack of timely reply?
Or a moderator?

Send me what ever you sent SHC and I can reply to you.

PM sent and SHC is an admin, thought it would be taken care of, guess I was wrong!

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #87 on: 12/05/17 05:12 am »

PM sent and SHC is an admin, thought it would be taken care of, guess I was wrong!
your issue is resolved...

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Didit

Awards
« Reply #88 on: 12/05/17 05:31 am »

lol ty

Didit

Awards
« Reply #89 on: 12/05/17 05:37 am »

Now as a suggestion, I can't see the reasoning for waiting until April or so before the announcement for opening of 2018 fee's for the bowtie.  Why is it not Jan 1, ?

Didit

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #90 on: 12/05/17 12:25 pm »

Now as a suggestion, I can't see the reasoning for waiting until April or so before the announcement for opening of 2018 fee's for the bowtie.  Why is it not Jan 1, ?

Didit
Should be... heck we used to do it in December...
But a few things have to happen in the background first...

Nothing stopping peeps from paying for 2018 early

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Vaeagleav

The Avalanche just keeps getting better!

Awards
« Reply #91 on: 12/05/17 06:28 pm »

I guess it would make it easy to finally make the 2017 coins and ship them with matching number 2018 coins? 

2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #92 on: 12/07/17 11:43 pm »

Folks,

It's no secret that we have less Supporting and Premium Supporting Members than in times past. A whole lot less.

We also have virtually no advertising revenue ($75/yr from one vendor).

Our web hosting alone is $1500/6 mo., a figure far in excess of our revenue.

I just sent SYNRG a paypal payment for $1500. It is mostly on my visa. I had to use the money earmarked for the production of the 2017 PSP Challenge Coins, which I will end up putting on my credit card as well.

Bottom line is that I can no longer subsidize the club with my bankcard as I have been doing for some time now. We have a bit less than four months of hosting left before they send me another bill for $1500. At that point I will have to let the site go dark unless something drastically changes, such as a combination of more revenue and less hosting costs.

I am open to ideas, including the sale of the site to someone that would like to have a go at it. 

If anyone has some ideas please contact me at steelheadchaser@hotmail.com

Thanks,

-SHC

So we have until to May pay the next tab, no worries I promised sperry I would try my best to get the site going.

2003 2500
redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #93 on: 12/08/17 12:31 am »

Well hopefully we will have a more sustainable solution in place and in operation before then so we can insure a better likelihood of this place sticking around.

Just paid my Winter tuition so I will be sending in my donation shortly.

Rodney

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
Nick@Night
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Hold It There, Kitty-Cat! Hold It!

Awards
« Reply #94 on: 12/08/17 02:59 am »

Well, this difficult to write, but here it goes......

As a member of the Club since 2004, and an owner of 3 (going on 4) Avalanches, I have only supported this organization for one year.

The reasons are many, but there's one that really stands out:

This is a "club," that has always been dominated by 3 or 4 shrill members.  Ever noticed that?

Theres a reason why some of us don't post here anymore. For example, how would a reasonable individual be expected to compete with 37,000 + posts.

Often, when some of the site bullies respond to questions, they really don't seem to know much about the issue, at hand.

Take a hard look at some of the posts on this thread, alone.  Difficult to tell whether one of them has an issue with cans-of-courage, or some sort of early-onset brain disorder.

Some of the newer members have expressed genuine concern.  I have PM'd them, with an explanation of my well-known position on this sad stare of affairs.

Most technical issues can be resolved on other GMT-800 & GMT-900 sites.

Please, stop pressuring the remaining admins into supporting something that should be allowed a naturaL death.

Some time ago, I decided to end my posting count at 500.  Thanks to this thread, I guess I will have to settle for 501.

Thanks for listening, and have a nice day.   Nick

Formerly, "SportRedNick"

2003  Dark Grey Metallic Z-71
2004  Sport Red Metallic  Z-71
2008  Deep Ruby Metallic Z-71

"Would trade them all in for one Bermuda Blue"
Didit

Awards
« Reply #95 on: 12/08/17 05:08 am »

Well bummer Nick..............

redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #96 on: 12/08/17 03:20 pm »

Well Nick, I do agree with most of what you said.
I too have only supported for one year and purposely left the system for a period of time because certain people on here are jerks and I didn't want to deal with their arrogant attitudes. I probably am somewhat guilty of some of the same due to feeling like I sometimes get attacked and have to defend myself.

I am here to share what I know (And look forward to respectful correction when I am wrong) and to learn more. I have been a member on other groups and I have never removed myself from them due to lack of respect.

Do I think this site should die? No. There is a lot of useful information on this site that would be forever gone if the site were to die. The same reason I offered to host MP3CAR's website. Do I think the disrespect some show others on a consistent basis chase people off?  Yes.

Will I help support this system and try to help keep it alive? I will do what I can because I want to help others and this is one of the things I am passionate about. I am a lot more willing to help out when I know we have a more sustainable presence and would hope that people are more respectful of others.

Rodney

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
ohiobellboy
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

2 Eagles

Awards
« Reply #97 on: 12/08/17 05:39 pm »

So we have until to May pay the next tab, no worries I promised sperry I would try my best to get the site going.

The site was going just fine when he passed away. No reason to try to be a hero in your own mind.

I've avoided posting in this thread until now. FWIW, here's my two cents.

Its' decline in interest can be attributed to social media more than anything.
$4 a gallon gas didn't help either when it came to trying to get the big National Meets a huge deal like it used to be.
Lack of follow up details from GTGs like a picture thread or anything like that makes it hard for a newbie or even a long time member to realize how much fun can be had. It's been that way for a very long time. Even before Photobucket decided to get stupid.
There was a very active core group of members a few years back that have moved on and for the most part, the members that are still active are fairly quiet. When's the last time you saw a GTG thread threadjacked into a 30 page party?
Some people's idea of help without some sort of explanation in an answer sure doesn't bode well to a newer member that might not understand the lingo.
People's interest change. Mine did. It doesn't mean I don't check in here once or twice a day.
There's still plenty of answers on this site, as DougD would say "Search" for it. Although, that turned off quite a few people also. Especially newbies.

I'm sure I'll add more to this as I think on it a little more.

Worst case scenario, and I do mean worst case. Sell the site to Vertical Scope or Internet Brands. They'll pollute it with ads but the info will still be available.

Avy #1 - '04 Z71 Cladded (dark blue metallic) Purchased 9/07 with too many mods to list. . SOLD 6/21/15
Avy #2 - '05 Z71 WBH (Bermuda Blue) Twiggy purchased 11/11 Current mileage 160,*** Now used as my winter beater SOLD 6/2-/17
Avy #3 - '05 Z71 Cladded (Bermuda Blue) Purchased 9/12  for Twiggy. A few mods.  TRADED 3/10/16
Other Summer toy - 2015 FLTRUSE (Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire)  also called a CVO Road Glide Ultra. Lots of fun on two wheels
2012 BMW 535i with XDrive
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #98 on: 12/09/17 12:51 am »

Good Feedback....
Both Positive and Negative...

Thanks!

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
JASKIN

Awards
« Reply #99 on: 12/09/17 08:09 am »

I am a newbie and am not very computer literate-bought a 2003 Chevy Avy 1500 WBH earlier this year and have been helped from members on this site. It is hard to navigate at times but a wealth of information. I do believe the social media thing has hurt not only here but many other sites, the genealogy I was one died because some wanted it on Facebook. I don't know the answer and am on limited funds at the age of 75 and medical bills rising every day so I hope the leaders can find a cheaper site and things can continue. I wish I could contribute more.

You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

2003 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 1500
1968 Chevy Suburban 4x4 K 10 3 door (purchased 1970)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: