• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hand held obd2 scanner

Pontgtodad

Looking for a good code reader.  Would like it read and clear codes and possibly show some live info as well.  Dont want cheap but inexpensive would be nice.

Check the innova website they sell good handheld readers. Innvona website

Most folks are now using apps on smartphones or tablets, you'll need an interface for the obd port, like the obdlink MX which is a Bluetooth device and a app like touchscan or dash command.

I use an ELM327 bluetooth adapter ($10 or $20 on Amazon) & the Torque app on my Android cell. Took a little work to get it all setup, but not only can I check & clear scan codes, then Google them from the phone, but I can setup gauges on it to monitor all kinds of stuff.... big one for me was the trans temp.     (y)

I'd upgrade to something like an SCT ITSX programmer if I had any faith that I couldn't screw up my ECM.  Would be cool to run separate performance, towing & economy tunes on it.

I bought the Autel AL619 a couple of months ago because I needed a scanner that could read and clear SRS (air bag) codes.

This one works really well and I am very happy with it.

I had previously purchased a BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional ODBII Scanner because it would interface with an iPhone via Bluetooth and also read ABS and SRS codes.

I liked that scanner, as well, right up until I found that it could not read my wife's 2012 GMC Acadia for SRS codes, which is exactly the vehicle I needed to be reading the SRS codes from.

Why that series of vehicle was excluded is beyond me and that information was not published out in the general public.

I only became aware when I researched why the scanner was failing to read the SRS codes on her truck, but would read them on my EXT just fine.

Anyway, moved on to the Autel, performed my repairs and could not be more pleased.

(y)

The ultimate "code reader" for these vehicles is the Tech2 scan tool. Originally worth thousands, the patents expired and now you can get a Chinese clone for $300 or so. Ventronix farmed the manufacturing out to the Chinese for several years, so they can make a really accurate copy! There is an element of risk: other Chinese are cloning the Chinese clones and the warranty is worth the paper it's written on. 

I bought one about 3 years ago. I documented the pros and cons on a different forum at the time. It's long and spread over multiple posts, so I won't reproduce it here. But bottom line, I'm still using it and prefer it over my other scan tool options. In fact, I used it to upgrade the PCM flash, as well as to track down and confirm some fault codes (rear knock sensor and EVAP purge solenoid) on the Avalanche when I got it this past fall.

I use an ELM327 bluetooth adapter ($10 or $20 on Amazon) & the Torque app on my Android cell. Took a little work to get it all setup, but not only can I check & clear scan codes, then Google them from the phone, but I can setup gauges on it to monitor all kinds of stuff.... big one for me was the trans temp. (y)

I'd upgrade to something like an SCT ITSX programmer if I had any faith that I couldn't screw up my ECM. Would be cool to run separate performance, towing & economy tunes on it.
I have tried a couple of the ELM327 so far and have not been able to get them to connect, did you have to do anything in particular to get it to connect? I am attempting to use with the free Torque app.

You have to pair the bluetooth device in order for communication to happen. First check Settings/Connected Devices and see if it appears under "previously connected" and note if phone is connected to anything by bluetooth already. If your OBD2 device is not there, you will need to work on pairing the bluetooth on your phone with the device. (name can be something else besides OBDII). Once paired, when you open Torque Free the lights on the OBD2 device should start to flash (even if Torque is not connected with your PCM). If they don't flash, you still aren't communicating with the bluetooth device. Once you get things working, then go ahead and get the full Torque Pro app.

Good luck and best wishes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117-100359.png
    Screenshot_20240117-100359.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I see that on my Torque Free App, upon startup it tells me (upper left hand corner) "connecting to OBD2" and then switches to "adapter not found" (because I am out of range). What messages are you getting there when you start up Torque Free. Those could be key.

I see that on my Torque Free App, upon startup it tells me (upper left hand corner) "connecting to OBD2" and then switches to "adapter not found" (because I am out of range). What messages are you getting there when you start up Torque Free. Those could be key.
what app is it exactly that you use? i dont see a "torque free"

Google Play Store lists it as Torque Lite. It's free. Mostly useful to check if Torque can connect to your vehicle and to read/clear powertrain codes. Then you buy Torque Pro.

Last edited:
Can't tell you for sure if Torque Pro does trans temp or not in your vehicle. I would guess so. A lot of these little Bluetooth apps have GM PIDs that may or may not work for a specific vehicle. Only one I know that filters the GM apps is Dash Command.

For your 2003, your best bluetooth bang for the buck is Car Diagnostic Pro. Will read/clear codes for multiple systems like HVAC, SIR, ABS, etc. Has a full bevy of GM enhanced PIDs (unfiltered of course). I can confirm it will do trans temp on my 2004 Avalanche. However the enhanced GM PIDs on this app end at the point when GM adopted the CAN OBD2 protocol. They started in 2003 with some models, and by 2008 were 100% CAN protocol. It will still read/clear codes and display some info but not the GM enhanced PIDS using CAN on the newer vehicles. These were never developed by the app maker. Instead he concentrated on Ford and Nissan enhanced PIDs with the CAN Protocol and ignored GM. So I would guess somewhere 2005-2008 GM switched over the Avys to CAN. I do believe the 8.1 engines were first.

For bluetooth on the CAN protocol vehicles up to 2009, I recommend Dash Command. Past 2009 I have no idea what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:
My ELM327 works on everything else I have used it on, but will not connect to the ECU on the Avi with Torque lite. Does not appear to have the right protocol, could that be correct? Anyone know what protocol GM uses?

Can't tell you for sure if Torque Pro does trans temp or not in your vehicle. I would guess so. A lot of these little Bluetooth apps have GM PIDs that may or may not work for a specific vehicle. Only one I know that filters the GM apps is Dash Command.

For your 2003, your best bluetooth bang for the buck is Car Diagnostic Pro. Will read/clear codes for multiple systems like HVAC, SIR, ABS, etc. Has a full bevy of GM enhanced PIDs (unfiltered of course). I can confirm it will do trans temp on my 2004 Avalanche. However the enhanced GM PIDs on this app end at the point when GM adopted the CAN OBD2 protocol. They started in 2003 with some models, and by 2008 were 100% CAN protocol. It will still read/clear codes and display some info but not the GM enhanced PIDS using CAN on the newer vehicles. These were never developed by the app maker. Instead he concentrated on Ford and Nissan enhanced PIDs with the CAN Protocol and ignored GM. So I would guess somewhere 2005-2008 GM switched over the Avys to CAN. I do believe the 8.1 engines were first.

For bluetooth on the CAN protocol vehicles up to 2009, I recommend Dash Command. Past 2009 I have no idea what works and what doesn't.
The 1500's switched over to Canbus for the drivetrain only in 2006. I don't believe ANY GM vehicle was Canbus before 2006. GM trucks switched over to all canbus variants in the truck in 2007. Not sure about the 8.1, they may have waited on them until the 2007 model year to go to canbus. All auto manufacturers were required to be CANBUS by 2008.

Yeah, mine is 2008, I thought the Elm327 and Torque lite could read canbus?

Trans temp is baked in to DIC on my 08, I am looking for quick lightweight solution for quick code reading and clearing as well data analysis. One of the things I like about Torque Lite is its ability to chart analog values on things like MAF flow, oxygen sensor voltage, intake manifold pressure, etc.

Bump, anyone actually have an ELM327 that will connect to the 07+ ECU?

Looking for a good code reader. Would like it read and clear codes and possibly show some live info as well. Dont want cheap but inexpensive would be nice.
I just got an Otofix D1 bi-directional scanner. Works well and is user friendly

Back