• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replaced hub assembly now have knocking noise when turning left

frito

PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2018
PM 2017
So I replaced my passenger side front hub assembly a couple weeks ago to take address a "death wobble", wandering, shaky wheel when hitting a pothole and grinding under hard braking.  After removal I could tell the old hub assembly was toast.  I replaced it with a new Timkin assembly.  The axle nut seemed like it was a bit cross threaded but I was able to get the new nut on.  Other than that, all went well with the repair and it tracked nice and straight, no wheel issues when I hit potholes, much tighter all the way round.  My issue now is that I am getting a popping/knocking when turning left.  I don't get it when turning right.  I also get tire squeal from the front right when turning left slowly like into a parking spot.  The popping/knocking seems to be coming from front center to somewhat right of front center.  My first thought is maybe the CV joints are shot and I should replace the axle but I'm not really sure how to check.  Bottom line, I want to find and fix the culprit in case it was the cause of the hub failure without unnecessarily throwing parts at it.  :help:

The only thing I can think of is the grab the axle with your hand then move the wheel to see if you have any play. I would think it's the CV joint also.

Back