• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

My journey getting the rust fixde on my 04

BooomerX

:B: I'm going to post the link to a little story about me trying to get the rust fixed on my '04. So far it's been a year and I'm pretty much back where I started. This is an eyeopener to do your due diligence on selecting a body shop. I thought I did.  :E: :E: :E: Take the time to read the post and all the comments. I've put some pics in the comments. I have over 150 pics of what happened. I only posted a few to the story. Live and learn I guess.  :B:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/112181222461909/permalink/467717546908273/

That sucks!  I'm taking my 05 in this weekend for rust repair.  Hope I don't suffer what you did. 

THIS is definitely a lesson for everyone to learn from.
1.  While there are a few exceptions to the rule, TYPICALLY selecting your lowest bidder is NOT a good idea.  There is usually a reason why they can offer a low bid, & all to often that reason is that they will be doing shoddy work.  As they say, "You get what you pay for".
2.  When estimating the depth of rust repair needed, ALWAYS assume that there is MUCH MORE RUST that you can see externally.  These trucks often rust due to moisture getting trapped inside/behind the panel, so the rust that you see is only the rust that has migrated through the panel.  What you would see on the inside of the panel is the stuff of nightmares!
3.  When doing rust repair you MUST cut out all of the rusted metal.  Then you should treat any light surface rusted areas that remain, & take measures to prevent any rust from reoccurring.  You can't ignore any internal rust & just cover it.
4.  Be certain that you get a detailed estimate from your body shop in advance.  It should clearly state what metal will be replaced & that all rust will be removed.
5.  Always ask to see the repairs that were done on other customer's cars (both in progress & when completed), BEFORE you commit to leaving your car at a particular shop.  Get references.
6.  Try to stop by & check on the progress of the repairs often.  Ask questions.  Point out items/areas that have been missed.  Be proactive (but TRY to also show respect for the shop owner & workers).
7.  NEVER pay the balance of a job until you are 100% happy with the results!  NEVER!
8.  IF you are considering doing a "quick fix", "cheap" repair, then MAYBE you should attempt to just fix it yourself.  This is an opportunity to learn how to do metal work, light welding, body repair, & paint.  The end result might not be as perfect as that done by a professional, but sometimes it isn't all that bad!  You can save a lot of money, add tools to your garage & knowledge to your resume, and have the pride of fixing it yourself!  (Heck, I've seen "1st time amateur" rust/body/paint repairs that looked better than the results seen in THIS post!)

Back