• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

IGN E Fuse keeps blowing

Spiritualguns

So I had the problem of my 2006 not starting the other day and found out it was the "IGN E" Fuse. Well it worked for about 3 more starts last night, we got home and go out this morning and now blown again. According to the book, "IGN E" usage is Instrument Panel Cluster, Air Conditioning Relay, Turn Signal/Hazard Switch, and Starter Relay. We pulled fuses and relays that correspond to each of those and the fuse still blows. The fuse blows when we just turn the key to the "ACCESSORY" position. This is the only fuse that blows. Any suggestions/ advice?

Are all of the fuses in the under hood box?

I would pull the under hood box and check for wiring damage. Also check the wire harness to the starter, and to the fire wall. Has to be a bad wire somewhere. Either from rubbing against something or varmit damage. Apparently squirrels and mice find automotive wires tasty.

You likely have a bad wire somewhere somehow.

Could be a mice/rat/squirrel chewed thru some wires....

I wish I had seen this earlier.  I have gone through the same problem.

Traced to a problem with the ignition switch; also found frayed wires under the seat.  The dealer's solution "use a larger capacity fuse".  Not the best option but bumped to 25amps and never had a problem since.

ErVikingo said:
I wish I had seen this earlier.  I have gone through the same problem.

Traced to a problem with the ignition switch; also found frayed wires under the seat.  The dealer's solution "use a larger capacity fuse".  Not the best option but bumped to 25amps and never had a problem since.

Ouch, I can't  believe the dealer suggested this, not a good idea at all, could lead to catastrophic failure or even fire!

Didit

Back