• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2006 2wd differential mounted abs speed sensor, axle removal

junkyarddog

SM 2013
Going to replace the carrier bearings in the rear on my 2006 2 wheel drive. It has the differential mounted speed sensor which uses a reluctor wheel on the drivers side rear axle. My question is when I pull the left rear axle does the reluctor ring just slide off the axle and remain in the housing or is there some procedure required. Have found zero info on this. Just checked guess there's one on both axles.

I removed the sensor from the axle housing, it's at the end of the axle; a wire leads to it; you can't miss it..... trust me, on each end. I heated the axle housing tube with my blue can torch and used a standard slide hammer bearing puller that you can get on loan at just about any A/P store to remove the outer races. You tap the new race in using the old races.

I have a 2005 Z71 four-wheel drive and I have the rear axle out and I pulled the seal and the bearing out and found some metal shavings in the ABS sensor ring. I think this is the noise I was thinking was the wheel bearing. How do I pull that ABS sensor ring out of the axle hub it seems like there's a Groove that it's seated in. Any and all suggestions are welcomed please

Looking at the end of the axle you'll find the sensor is located on the aft side/center (9 o'clock on the right side and 3 o'clock on the left) of the axle about 3 inches inboard of the end of the axle tube housing.  You'll find a wire/cable leading to a sensor there on the axle tube. I first cleaned the area around the sensor to keep dirt out of the axle tube and then I loosened the bolt/screw keeping it in place, with a little tug it'll come right out. I removed the sensors because I had to apply "a little heat" to the axle tube to get the bearing race out. When you install the race be sure to apply a bit of grease to the outer side of the race and the race's "home" in the axle tube to facilitate installing and removing the race next time. If you take the old race and make one cut in it all the way through it make an excellent bearing driver for installing the new race.

Back