• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Whining sound coming from front left wheel (video link inside)

wakebdr

This noise just started happening a few days ago.  It's coming from the left front wheel and is very noticeable when turning at slow speeds or just moving the wheel while parked.  I took some video of it, mainly to get the noise, in the parking lot when I got to work this morning.  Nothing feels strange when driving, but something has to be wrong.  Any thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/I3xm69iJ28D3zErB3

Thanks

Check the steering linkage, when was the last time it was greased? I believe the 2010?s still had two zerks. Lots of oil change places skip this step do to ignorance or laziness.
  If that doesn?t stop the squeaking have a buddy turn the wheel while you are under the truck. It should be obvious what is making the noise. Just be very careful where you put your hands and head while the engine is running.

Sounds to me like you NEED to grease your ball joints and whatever other zerk fittings you find, just a thought

Didit

Got in there tonight once I got home from work and greased the only 2 zerks that I could see.  Turned the wheel a bit while stationary and the sound is not completely gone but it sounds a little better.  I'm guessing it will take a little driving to get the grease to work in there?  Also, are there only 2 grease points on the 2010's?  I think my 2003 had 11 or so.

Not  sure because I haven't looked at my own 13, but shouldn't there be a upper and lower grease fitting on the ball joints?

Didit

There were two more places on each side that looked like a fitting that would contain grease, but no zerk.  I'm not much of a mechanic so I don't know what I was looking at.   :D

Probably drove 50 miles today and it actually still sounds the same.  Must be coming from something else.

That is MOST definitely a ball joint and probably the upper.  When it gets to the point that yours is at and is making that much noise, there is no saving it.  It is time to replace.

Back