• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Evap Canister Help

graycaleb99

Not sure what fourm to post this in. Sorry for any inconvenience.

My problem is I had a evap code for a small leak in the evap system. I ended up having a smoke test down and everything, and if the shop told me the truth then my evap canister needs replaced. I have never done this before but most of the time I try to perform as many repairs on my vehicle that I can by myself.

If anyone has any expirence with this part some advice on changing the part and where to get the part would be much appreciated. Are these parts, like most, interchangeable with other gm products of the same year. Silverado, Tahoe? Anything?

I'm sure others will stop by.

Search You Tube use Suburban EVAP you will get more hits than using Avalanche.

Wow the search function of this sight has gone bonkers, lol.    search "canister" and it will bring up a ton of stuff on the evap canister for you, hope this helps, and btw welcome to the club!  Enjoy

Didit

graycaleb99 said:
Not sure what fourm to post this in. Sorry for any inconvenience.

My problem is I had a evap code for a small leak in the evap system. I ended up having a smoke test down and everything, and if the shop told me the truth then my evap canister needs replaced. I have never done this before but most of the time I try to perform as many repairs on my vehicle that I can by myself.

If anyone has any expirence with this part some advice on changing the part and where to get the part would be much appreciated. Are these parts, like most, interchangeable with other gm products of the same year. Silverado, Tahoe? Anything?
Rock Auto or Amazon are typically the cheapest places to get the evap canisters.  Not sure what year yours is, but on my 2004 the evap canister is underneath, right in front of the spare tire.  I removed the spare tire for room to work but you can probably do the job without removing it.  After disconnecting the hoses and a bolt, it comes out on it's bracket.  Switch the bracket to the new canister and reverse to reinstall.

However, I fail to see how the evap canister itself would cause a "small leak" code unless it has a hole in it.

I would try replacing the gas cap first.. Make sure you take care of the easy ones.

Also, do you have the actual code that was thrown?

The canisters can go bad if you continually fill your fuel tank to the max and some gets sucked into the evap system. Or atleast I have read this being an issue with some vehicles. Not sure how true it is but the article suggested only fill until the handle clicks and no more. If you over fill the vehicle and the fuel expands as it warms it only has one place to go and supposedly can saturate the canister.

Rodney

I was aware since a kid that I shouldn?t over fill the gas tank. My father ruined a fuel pump in his 99.5 Silverado by doing this. I have only had my avalanche for 6 months and the code was present at purchase. It hasn?t affected the trucks ability to run as far as I?m aware. So I haven?t bothered with it. Off my head I can?t remember the code I have thrown. Will try to post it tomorrow. I had a smoke test done at a shop and they confirmed the canister was the problem. Like you all I?m a little skeptical this is the problem seeing as how many people don?t see these going bad. I?m going to get a used canister off a wreck and see if it fixes my problem. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the help everyone.!!

Mine had the evap purge code and was difficult to fill with gas.  Already had new purge solenoid when I bought it.  New Evap Canister fixed the problem.  Good luck.

JVZL1 said:
I'm sure others will stop by.

Search You Tube use Suburban EVAP you will get more hits than using Avalanche.

Did some You Tube surfing. One showed a leak around the gas tank filler just below the cap.

Back