• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Would Buy One Now???...

silversport

SM 2003
I bought my Z71 1500 back in 2002...loved it but foolishly moved it along and haven't had a truck since 2013...

I don't have any real need for a truck based vehicle but I like the room inside and the ability for the rare times I need the bed/cargo area is a huge plus.

It is a bit harder to park a truck rather than a car in some suburban areas and it would be a tight fit in my garage but...

other than the payment which what sink my battleship, should I move from a two year old car with limited cargo space back to a 2013 Avalanche LT 4WD with the All Star Package???

I see these still hold their value pretty well so the price is a bit dear...

Thoughts and experiences???...I'd like to read them here please...thanks,

Bill

Wow that is a very open ended question that only you can answer because of things like what is you budget and how long do you plan to keep the "new to you" vehicle.
Then you have to decide what is a need and what is a want.......
My father taught me many decades ago that if I wanted a new vehicle I should start saving what would be the car payment until I had cash to buy the next vehicle and only then look for a vehicle....Then once new vehicle was purchased you started putting money aside for next vehicle etc. That way you worked the cost of ownership into budget and discovered if you could afford the vehicle or not too.
Don't make yourself and your family "vehicle poor" by buying a too expensive vehicle yet plan for your needs and let's say you plan to keep the new one for 10 years, will it suit your needs over that time? Will it hold up or due to age and road salts etc. need lots of maintenance?
Then you might want to check out a Chevy Silverado High Desert model (many posts with photos on this website) that has similar features to an AV but my not ride as smooth as an AV. It would have five years less rust and wear and may last longer for your needs. The new cost may be closer than you think to the 5 year old AV you are looking for due to GM discounts and a 3 year warranty is included. Of course a truly new vehicle would have higher property taxes and insurance costs.
If you find the 2013 AV of your dreams it may come with backup sensors and camera so parking will be easier unless you are talking about width or height restrictions in parking. A lowering kit could solve the height issues if that is a concern.
Good luck with your search.

Great advice...it is almost as if a younger version of me was giving me advice in the now...I really appreciate your advice as well as the advice about the Silverado High Desert model...

I am retired and have no worry at this time about the purchase price other than if I actually want to part with the funds...not rich by any means but at 56, I followed the advice you gave and my own Father instilled in me and have been able to purchase something about whenever I really wanted to because of it...it has served me well in my adult life.

I am really not in a hurry but this 2013 showed up with 30K miles and a Chevy Certified banner as well as having nearly all the options I would want (had it been an LTZ for the price I might not even have written here, I'd be driving it now ;) ) and it is in my preferred color...

but my current car (a Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon with the smaller 3.0 V6) is just fine and only has 48K miles while just undergoing and passing a full inspection as well as having newer tires and all fluids replaced so this was just an itch that I haven't yet decided to scratch.

Thanks!

Bill

Back