• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Pitman, Idler arms - regular or "HD"?

ashamsuddin

Avalanche has 285k miles, and it's time for a bunch of front end parts.  The idler and pitman arms from MOOG have two versions: a regular part and one of the same number with an "HD" added to the end, the listing says these HD parts are "tapered."  

I'm assuming that since most of the parts from the other brands don't offer this "tapered" version, I should get the regular version.  

In case both will fit, as far as my heavy duty needs, I'm planning to tow a trailer eventually.  Not sure how much stress towing places on steering linkage parts.

Thanks in advance

I am interested too as I am starting to look at replacing front end components in my truck leading up to making it an off road beast.  Been looking at replacing the A-arms and Tie Rods first in my truck as I felt those are the biggest issues. Rock Auto has all 4 of the A Arms, the outer tie rods and maybe some other pieces for a good price. Thinking of buying all new parts up front for my truck too so I will be certainly watching.

When I last looked Rock Auto had two different brands. One was an off brand for like $300 and the other was I believe Moog for almost double the price for the same components.

Interested in hearing other peoples experiences.

I could just remove the A-Arms and replace the bushings and ball joints myself as I have access to a press but not sure.

Rodney

When I bought my EXT back in 2012, it had 116K on it.

I replaced a lot of wear items in the first few months I had the truck.

I had MOOG parts installed wherever possible since I have always gotten good service from them in the past.

With close to 100K now on those parts, they are showing no signs of wear and are still much tighter than the OEMS they replaced.

If I EVER have that work done again, it will be with MOOG parts.

(y)

I just did this entire job on my Duramax.  The biggest thing seems to be the number of splines on the pitman arm.  Mine was 3, but some are 4.  I don't know how you determine the number of splines.  My truck also had a new steering box installed, so that even made it more of an unknown.

I bought the Moog parts and stuck with the "regular duty" version. 

Here is the youtube video I made if that helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQKQ8l3B_6w

I'm pretty sure the process is the same on the Avalanche.

If you want a heavy duty front end.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,144237.0.html

With NAPA heavy duty ball joints.

Sorry to say my experience Moog quality control has relay gone down hill. I
used to use OME or Mood on a lot of parts.

JohnnieMo said:
I just did this entire job on my Duramax.  The biggest thing seems to be the number of splines on the pitman arm.  Mine was 3, but some are 4.  I don't know how you determine the number of splines.  My truck also had a new steering box installed, so that even made it more of an unknown.

I bought the Moog parts and stuck with the "regular duty" version. 

Here is the youtube video I made if that helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQKQ8l3B_6w

I'm pretty sure the process is the same on the Avalanche.

I just had to say how much I liked your video... well done with a very calm and personable style. 

Back