• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Z71 vs Black Diamond Edition

reddeadg8

I have a 2011 Avalanche Z71 4x4.  It is a little worse for wear.  There is a local 2013 Avalanche 4x4 Black Diamond Edition for sale in far better shape.

What are the differences?  I am sure the Z71 shocks and skid plates are not on the 2013.  Is there anything else?

The 2013 Black Diamond still came in different trim levels
LS
LT
LT-with Z71 pkg
LTZ
Do you know which the BDE is?

LTZ will have the air ride suspension
Heated and cooled perforated 12 way power seats
Heated steering wheel
Navigation radio with rear vision camera
Universal home remote
Outside heated power adjustable mirrors
Bright chrome grille inserts, door handles body side moldings and mirror caps
(According to brochure)

Try2kup said:
The 2013 Black Diamond still came in different trim levels
LS
LT
LT-with Z71 pkg
LTZ
Do you know which the BDE is?

Interesting, I always presumed the black diamond edition was the top of the line model. If it could be had at any trim level, what made it special?

Black diamond edition was the name given to all 2013 AVs to commemorate the end of the AV. It came with a vehicle/owner hard cover book detailing the history of the AV.
It can get confusing back then a Chevy salesman tried to tell me that it only came in black but reality proved him wrong once they started showing up on his car lot.
Some of the 2013 AV didn't come with all the bells and whistles found on earlier AVs since it was the end of the line and some parts were scarce or they were making budget cuts I guess?

Try2kup said:
LTZ will have the air ride suspension
Heated and cooled perforated 12 way power seats
Heated steering wheel
Navigation radio with rear vision camera
Universal home remote
Outside heated power adjustable mirrors
Bright chrome grille inserts, door handles body side moldings and mirror caps
(According to brochure)

You'll also want to look for side blind zone alert SBZA, integrated trailer brake controller ITBC and power retractable steps. I believe those were the only "options" available on a LTZ of that year.

The navigation changed to a different version in 2012 too, so the BD will have the newer and better version.

I just picked up a 13 LTZ and wow, lots of bells and whistles. At 6'2" I am glad it doesn't have 1 thing, and sun roof.
But I have to say I slightly raised up the front of my 05, it was not leveled but it made the Chevy sag not so ugly... Doesn't look like I can to the same with the 13 because of the air suspension.  :(

I have an 09 LTZ with air suspension and was able to install a 2" spacer lift.
The front one was actually 3.5 inches (to correct rake to level with rear) and the rears are 2 inches.
I got creative and extended the height sensor connecting rods to compensate for the differences.
I pulled the rods off (easily done), pulled the plastic "sockets" off the rods by just grabbing and pulling with pliers, got threaded rod of equal diameter (1/4"), increased total length of the rods by adding spacer height and epoxied the "sockets" to the new rods. Easy peasy  - air worked fine until the compressor took a turn for the worse.
Now I'm looking to eliminate the air suspension and possibly go with a Z71. Not sure yet - looking at possibilities for new shocks/extended springs now.

Smitty2 said:
I have an 09 LTZ with air suspension and was able to install a 2" spacer lift.

I ended up going with a product from Summit Performance, a level lift kit:
CHEVY 2.5"FRONT + 1.5"REAR CH2.5T+CC1.5R SKU: 141348688425
I had my dealer install it for me due to this being my daily driver and the end of January, but not an issue with it since.

No Tyme said:
I ended up going with a product from Summit Performance, a level lift kit:
CHEVY 2.5"FRONT + 1.5"REAR CH2.5T+CC1.5R SKU: 141348688425
I had my dealer install it for me due to this being my daily driver and the end of January, but not an issue with it since.

Bummer that I didn't see this before. I just ordered the Rough Country 2.5" lift. It only raises the rear 0.75".  I'll have that stupid sag look any time I load up the bed.

For anyone browsing this in the future: The Z71 has a rear locker.. That's one benefit that is not so easily added as skid plates and shocks

Do you know what the dealer did? What did they charge you?  I talked to summit today and he made it sound like a simple adjustment.

ArizonaAvy said:
Do you know what the dealer did? What did they charge you?  I talked to summit today and he made it sound like a simple adjustment.
As far as I know they just did the install. The work order is as follows:
A installed Supplied Lift Kit $263.50
B 2 Wheel alignment $59.95...
They also did my pads and rotors all the way around so the bill was $680 for everything.

Back