• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2012 22? OEM Chrome Wheel Issue...

Thirsch22

Hello my friends!

Question for all you wise ones...

My tires are no longer holding air. The guy at discount tire says the chrome is coming of my wheels, and that?s the issue. I feel like he is just trying to make a sucker out of me. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? These are Chevy wheels that came with my lanche when I bought it new...

Thank you! Looking forward to your comments

I'd take a look at the valve stems.  I bought new tires in the spring and both front valve stems were defective.  New valve stems and problem solved.

Hello my friends!

Question for all you wise ones...

My tires are no longer holding air. The guy at discount tire says the chrome is coming of my wheels, and that?s the issue. I feel like he is just trying to make a sucker out of me. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? These are Chevy wheels that came with my lanche when I bought it new...

Thank you! Looking forward to your comments
Hello,
I haven't checked in here for a few years, but I am having a similar problem with my 2012 Aluminum (Clad) wheels. The cladding is corroding and I have slow leaks in all tires because the corrosion is also inside on the bead area. I had three of them sanded down by a local shop, but one is still leaking. I am looking for OEM replacements and was wondering if anyone here had a similar problem with their wheels, and what they replaced them with?
Regards,
ducerguy

If there is a defect in the rims not just the valve stems or tires then replacing with same age rims might not solve you problem. Have you tried using soapy water solution to test tires and vale stems to check where the leak is coming from?
If it is the rims then you have the whole world of aftermarket rims to choose from either from your local rim shop or on line from places like tire rack etc.

If there is a defect in the rims not just the valve stems or tires then replacing with same age rims might not solve you problem. Have you tried using soapy water solution to test tires and vale stems to check where the leak is coming from?
If it is the rims then you have the whole world of aftermarket rims to choose from either from your local rim shop or on line from places like tire rack etc.
Hello,

Yes, we checked for leaks at the bead with soapy water. I looked at Tire Rack and don't see anything I like. I wanted to keep the original look, and found several websites that have replica type wheels, or re-manufactured wheels. I'll probably go with the replica type in just polished aluminum - not the chrome painted/clad type like I have now.

Thanks,
Ducerguy

Back