• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

disable Grade Braking 2013 AV 6 speed trans

No Tyme

SM 2018
SM 2017
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
Coming back to an Avalanche from a 14 Silverado I checked out the trans yesterday and was able to get the message in the DIC, Grade Braking disabled... Haven't seen any post on this here so I want to share that by doing so (holding in the tow/haul button for 5 seconds) may help with fuel mileage slightly and provide smoother downshifts.
Grade braking uses the transmission to slow down the truck.
Many have complained on another forum I belong to on the Silverado's of clunky downshifts when slowing for a stop.
Try it and post your findings.

Good info. I'll check into this with my '16 Silvy as sometimes it seems like it just drags going down the street from my house to the stop sign about 8 houses away. Like it never shifts up.

I never knew about this! I honestly don't care for the grade braking. Definitely giving this a shot  (y)

4x4dreamer said:
I never knew about this! I honestly don't care for the grade braking. Definitely giving this a shot  (y)

On my 14 Silverado you would have to hold the tow/haul button in for a good 5 seconds and release to see the "Grade Braking Disabled" message in the DIC, but on the 13 Avalanche LTZ when you hold the tow/haul button in for about 5 seconds the message appears before you release the button.
Also note that you can turn it back on using the same method, and if you get to like it be disabled you will need to push the button in to deactivate it with every engine start.

Gonna try this out this weekend.  I hate how when I have cruise control it shifts to slow down when going down a hill.  What I want it to do is speed up so I can use the momentum to go up the other side.  Hopefully this will fix that.

ZitoMD said:
Gonna try this out this weekend.  I hate how when I have cruise control it shifts to slow down when going down a hill.  What I want it to do is speed up so I can use the momentum to go up the other side.  Hopefully this will fix that.

I really hated this feature in my 14 Silverado. My belief is that it should be turned off by default but it is the other way around. I have always took my foot of the gas pedal to coast up to a stop sign and in my eyes this downshifting decreases fuel mileage. There is quite an extensive write up on another forum about this.

Back