• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 2500 wheel center bore size discrepancy

racer9

Hi I am the original owner of my 2002 2500. I am having a problem finding wheels for it due to the center bore on mine being 5" not 4.5" like every other Chevy 8 bolt.  I have cracked one of my aluminum rims and of course I won't be able to find one to match since I bought them in 2002, so I wanted to just buy a used set of rims.  On all but 1 wheel specs site it says my Avalanche should be interchangeable with up to 2010 2500 and 3500 trucks and suburbans, but it's not. Has anyone else with a 2500 had this problem? Did they change halfway through 2002 production to standard size?

Hi racer9 :welcome: to the club.

The 2500 AV came with a unique rear axle it's a 10.5 inch full floater axle, Suburban 2500 came in 2 versions in the 02-10 years one came with a semi floater axle with a 6.0l engine and a full floater if it had a 8.1

I choose to go with 02-06 hummer h2 wheel and put 2 inch spacers on the rear because the rear axle is 3 inches narrower than the front so it corrected the tracking.

Now if you can find a set from a 2500 or 3500 Silverado that had a diesel in it which had a 11.5 full floater those wheels will fit.

You can check local car dealers new and used tire shops
for take offs. I take it you have been checking Craigslist?

I found a some nice ones off a GMC 3500 and used a grinder to open up the hole to get it over that last bit on the rears.  I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money, these were $150 for the set. They also needed to be 17" rims so I could move my like new tires on to them. Thanks for your help. 

Back