• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front Hub Failure - No Noise?

turbojimmy

Hi all -

Anyone had a front wheel bearing/hub assembly fail without making any noise? When my right side failed, it started by grinding and whining. There is now some play on the left side now and I replaced the lower ball joint and upper control arm. It's still there. Sometimes there's a sharp pop or bang when I hit a bump or on a tight turn. I can't figure it out.

I jacked it back up today and there's definitely play there but the control arms and ball joints are good. Has to be the hub, right?

Check the shocks/struts, sway bar links, bushings.  R.

ronthehandymanga said:
Check the shocks/struts, sway bar links, bushings.  R.

Thanks. Struts are good. Sway bar links are good (though the sway bar has torn itself loose from the frame on the other side). Control arm bushings up top are new, lowers look good. I don't see play anywhere other than right at the hub. I can see the brake disc moving when I wiggle the wheel but nothing else. I hate to continue to throw parts at it, but I think the hub is all that's left.

You should not be able to see the brake disc move at all?  the pads yes disk no or the calipers.  R.

ronthehandymanga said:
You should not be able to see the brake disc move at all?  the pads yes disk no or the calipers.  R.

You can try and take a long screwdriver or pry bar rest end on hub ear on handle.
Have someone turn wheel you may be able to hear bad noises  :9:
coming from bearing.

Turns out it was a tie rod end. No up and down movement, but really sloppy side to side. The clue was the steering wheel started to wobble at speed. It was also the source of the clunk when going over an uneven surface while turning.

Back