• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Will 16" wheels fit?

MrDingo2U

Wondering if the Avalanche was ever released with 16" rims
Mine currently has 17's and what I would like to do is use a 16" rim and run a 285/75-16 rather than the stock 265/70-17
I know there is a slight difference in the rolling Diameter of the 16's but that does not concern me greatly. I have a 3" leveling kit on the truck so clearances should not be an issue for me.
I know most people increase rim size rather than reduce it but i am going for the chunkier/beefier look with my tires
I run 2" spacers on my stock 17's which pushes the wheel and tire out to the edge of the mudguard flare and slightly widens the track of the truck which has aided in reducing body roll whilst cornering and given the old girl a much more appealing stance IMO along with the addition of new shockers front and rear (old ones were cactus and frozen creating a horrible ride)

Any input on switching to the 16's with a higher profile tire would be much appreciated

Cheers MrDingo2U :)

MrDingo2U said:
Wondering if the Avalanche was ever released with 16" rims
Mine currently has 17's and what I would like to do is use a 16" rim and run a 285/75-16 rather than the stock 265/70-17
I know there is a slight difference in the rolling Diameter of the 16's but that does not concern me greatly. I have a 3" leveling kit on the truck so clearances should not be an issue for me.
I know most people increase rim size rather than reduce it but i am going for the chunkier/beefier look with my tires
I run 2" spacers on my stock 17's which pushes the wheel and tire out to the edge of the mudguard flare and slightly widens the track of the truck which has aided in reducing body roll whilst cornering and given the old girl a much more appealing stance IMO along with the addition of new shockers front and rear (old ones were cactus and frozen creating a horrible ride)

Any input on switching to the 16's with a higher profile tire would be much appreciated

Cheers MrDingo2U :)

2002 came with stock 16" wheels and the 17" where only with Z66 and Z71 package.
Spare is 16" wheel.
16" can be used up to 2006

From 2007 onward smallest wheel is 17" to clear calipers.

You may want to consider staying with 17" so that you can later do the conversion to the larger second generation brakes(there is a thread explaining the conversion in the brake section). As ygmn mentioned the larger brakes will not fit a 16" rim.

Back