• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Midgate Latches differences - rear GLASS storage KNOBS

robertmee

I've searched and from the old threads, found that I need 88944375, the graphite (assume that's dark grey) driver's side plastic latch that holds the window.  Mine is missing from my recently purchased 03.  They are NLA best I can tell, but the gen II's are still available.  They look the same to me in the pictures, but are they?  They seem to be in different color options too.  Has anyone used a set of 'grey' (whatever is closest) gen II latch knobs on a gen I?

It has been mentioned elsewhere on here that they are the same, just may not have the same color available.

Yep, gen II is functionally the same and still available, they just don't have the grey anymore

So, I found a 2002 midgate complete from CL...pretty cheap.  It's rougher than mine, so I'd rather not swap out the entire assembly.  I just really need the latch off of it.  I broke one apart at a junkyard, so I'm aware of the assembly (Spring, bushing, clip, etc.).  How in the hell do you get the clip off the shaft to remove the latch?  It's of course hidden by the latch itself.  You have very little room to get any tool up under there when the latch is turned a certain direction.  I've tried using a flat blade to blindly pry the clip out, but after 30 minutes of futility gave up.  The clip could of course be turned, so without being able to see it, have no idea if I'm getting even close to the loop on the clip to grab it with a screw driver.  I know once it's off, it's easy to put back on as the latch shaft expands the clip and then it retracts and locks back in place.

You can't get them off without breaking them,  but they are pretty cheap to buy new.

I ended up using titanium ones so people would know I was not trying color match the originals. Of course, you could paint them.

The only other thing I can think of is a grinder with a cutoff wheel and attack it from bedside of the one you bought

MS03 2500 said:
I ended up using titanium ones so people would know I was not trying color match the originals. Of course, you could paint them.

The only other thing I can think of is a grinder with a cutoff wheel and attack it from bedside of the one you bought

Hate to destroy a perfectly good midgate.  There's got to be a special GM tool for removing that clip...like the old window cranks.

I dis find this http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=16657.0

So it can be done...might see if I can get my bore camera under there to see the clip orientation.

Anything is possible I guess it is how much time you want to spend on an $8.68 part.

So, to put this to rest, and maybe help someone in the future.  Using my camera, I was able to see the clip and knew the orientation to get to it.  A LONG pair of needle nose later, clip removed and latch easily swapped.  Sorry, the image sucks, but it's a picture of my bore camera screen.  You can see the large clip.

qk-lSFJXxwvo6ssXhxHCRCHnjcugX_i3P-hFckvG5CoEZ15IkewQ5PMJrKJxK0jNYNOC3ay0SSuCV5oup-CJ63nGt5W9HyO9L5yS-2Wi24lsHhnTpzWRdhTfKforEFtqN9wex5ulEA=w528-h297-no

I used two small screwdrivers pressed on either side. I think a door panel remover MIGHT also work. I was able to remove mine without breakign them but don't recall where I left them because I need them to reinstall on my midgate once I finish my box.

Rodney

Does someone have a link where to buy these, im missing both of mine and ive broken a couple at junk yards trying to take them off, but I can not find new ones to buy, all are discontinued

GM Parts direct, they cost 8 bucks.
Only the 2012 or 2013 are available
www.gmpartsdirect.com

Yes they will work. They may not color match what you had though due to limited options. As already mentioned you CAN paint them...

Not that I know of, some members were trying to use a 3D printer to make them, but I don't know how successful they did.

RENORCR did wind up installing the ones I've printed, He says everything snapped in and worked perfect. These photos are courtesy of him though our PM's.
Knob RH Lock.jpgKnob RH Open.jpg

Though the process however, I did find out that I owe a few of you guys your passenger side knobs. I mistakenly thought the printed model was interchangeable, but they are not. They lack the mechanism from the originals, but still retain the travel limiter which.. of course.. is different between the two sides for some reason.

window knobs.jpg

I've mirrored the part for future printed pairs and will hopefully get the replacements for previous ones sent out soon. I'm glad to have discovered that issue before the list got too long. Either way, the printed knobs apparently do the job and as you can see from the above photo, are much more robust than the originals.

Thanks to Raekal for your efforts!

When I bought probably the last two OEM parts on the planet a couple of years ago, I did not know the two sides were different and I received two right knobs.

It was all that was offered and I bought both of them.

Of course, my left knob was the one that was broken.

:E:

However, I was able to take my Dremel and carefully modify one of the rights to fit on the left.

The alignment is ever so slightly off, but not enough to notice unless you know what to look for and it functions just fine.

And both OEM replacement knobs came to me in the shale tan color.

But, I was able to find a matching dark grey vinyl interior paint that is close enough.

I suspect your 3D printed knobs might be able to be modified to fit, as well.

If I remember correctly the main difference was a tab that limited the clocking travel.

It's been a while.

Yep, that picture above where they're on the table shows the difference as you said. (The black original is the opposite side eof all the grey ones.)

It's just a slight position difference on the limiter..nub..thing. Which is a weird design decision on GM's part. They definitely could have made them interchangeable without too much effort.

It's fixed for future ones by mirroring the part data. I suppose existing ones could be modified to fit by chopping the limiter nub off. They would just be able to turn past the lock/,unlock position.

Either way, I intend to send people the correct knobs. I don't feel right leaving people with a less than ideal fix when they're already having to replace GM's poor design.

Thanks to Raekal for your efforts!

When I bought probably the last two OEM parts on the planet a couple of years ago, I did not know the two sides were different and I received two right knobs.

It was all that was offered and I bought both of them.

Of course, my left knob was the one that was broken.

:E:

However, I was able to take my Dremel and carefully modify one of the rights to fit on the left.

The alignment is ever so slightly off, but not enough to notice unless you know what to look for and it functions just fine.

And both OEM replacement knobs came to me in the shale tan color.

But, I was able to find a matching dark grey vinyl interior paint that is close enough.

I suspect your 3D printed knobs might be able to be modified to fit, as well.

If I remember correctly the main difference was a tab that limited the clocking travel.

It's been a while.
Been a few years, still have any of these?

Back