• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

just got my 2010 LTZ 4x4! what do you mean I can't program my garage opener!?

broley72

from what I read about learcar2u.com my opener is not compatable with my new opener! ARRGHH. So even though i have the system i have to put the remote on the visor! So much for that upgrade! AT LEAST I HAVE A 6.2L!

Most newer vehicles aren?t compatible with the latest generation.
Depending on the manufacture there maybe an app for it that you can control off your phone instead.
Of the 4 vehicles with different car comps we have 02-14 none are compatible with what we changed to

I think there are repeaters you can buy that mount near garage door opener.
Contact Garage door opener company.

I remember seeing something on liftmaster website

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/homelink/compatibility-bridge

Had a similar issue when I got the current AV, and again when I replaced the unit in the garage. Both times the fix was to use the Canadian protocol as outlined in the user manual. It's a bit more cumbersome, but effective.

farmguy said:
Had a similar issue when I got the current AV, and again when I replaced the unit in the garage. Both times the fix was to use the Canadian protocol as outlined in the user manual. It's a bit more cumbersome, but effective.

Wish I knew what the Canadian protocol was...

I just experienced this. I just replaced an old garage door and opener. Got a state of the art, belt drive, battery backup, WIFI enabled Liftmaster owner. Awesome. It is smooth, quiet, and messages me whenever the door is open or closed. I can look at my phone for the doors status if I'm not sure I closed it. I can open or close it  from anywhere as long as my house internet is up. I can even program it to close automatically after a certain period of time.

Great, right? 

But I can't program my 2013 Avalanche using the technology built in to my truck. My vehicle is "not compatible to the new technology in the new opener". Why not? How many cars are out there that have this proven technology built in? Why did they build something that is not compatible with what so many vehicles already have?

Oh. Because now they can sell me a "HomeLink Compatibility Bridge" for $25 extra. So, they do know how to make it compatible, they just chose to make optional and cost a few dollars more.

Why do companies do stupid things like this?  :E:

OK, rant concluded.

naylor99 said:
Oh. Because now they can sell me a "HomeLink Compatibility Bridge" for $25 extra. So, they do know how to make it compatible, they just chose to make optional and cost a few dollars more.
OK, rant concluded.

I had a Homelink repeater and sold it on eBay last week. It did NOT work with my 13 Av. The reason is I have a Lear system in the AV and most likely you do also. There is another repeater you may need to buy. I have one sitting here on my desk. It is for the Lear system. I'll let you know if it works. The 9 inches of snow we had has melted away and I can drive back to the barn today and try it.

If you have only 1 light with you garage door buttons on the roof console you have a Homelink system. If you have a light for each button (3) then it is a Lear system.

I have the Car2U repeater and it works with my 2008.  I'm not sure how the system in the Av changed from 2008 through 2013.  I use a Liftmaster 8500C. 

The downside is that you lose all the fancy encryption and any dumb thief can get in your garage if they try hard enough.

FWIW I had to email Liftmaster tech support, and they replied the next day... on a Saturday.  So I wouldn't hesitate to ask them.  Tell Andre I said hi :)

JohnnieMo said:
I have the Car2U repeater and it works with my 2008.

:E:  Darn that barn door. Had the same problem with the 06 Trailblazer with the newer garage door opener that we have.
I just came in from the barn and it worked the second time. After I plugged in the repeater I pressed the learn button on the garage door opener, jumped in the AV and pushed the two butter buttons in for a 2 second count and proceeded to push and hold for 2 seconds the button I wanted to use, and then released. On the third press and hold my opener lights flashed... Happy Happy, Joy Joy!  :woot:

MAn remember back in the day when dad would say
"Get out son and open the garage door"

ygmn said:
MAn remember back in the day when dad would say
"Get out son and open the garage door"

Yes I do. But at our house we didn't have a man door and the darn car sat outside anyways. We always came and went thru the darn garage, LOL

Farmguy, sorry I am just seeing all the replies!
I tried the protocol many times. So the answer is a Car2u bridge?

I am having the same trouble with my new to me 2013.  It came from Canada so I wonder if that's part of my problem?  The manual doesn't say anything about the Canadian protocol as outlined in the user manual. Any more info on this Canadian protocol as outlined in the user manual would be appreciated.

farmguy said:

Balzy said:
I am having the same trouble with my new to me 2013.  It came from Canada so I wonder if that's part of my problem?  The manual doesn't say anything about the Canadian protocol as outlined in the user manual. Any more info on this Canadian protocol as outlined in the user manual would be appreciated.
The newer garage doors use a security not like the older openers. You first need to determine which in car door opener you have. Look at he opener and see how many lights are by the buttons... 1 in a little block shaped like a house (Home Link) or 3 induvial lights, (Lear) one for each button.
Once you determine that you need to get a repeater for that style opener in the car... Home link or Car 2 U (Lear).

MORE INFO:::
Posted by: JohnnieMo
? on: February 16, 2018, 12:49:00 PM ?
Insert Quote

I have the Car2U repeater and it works with my 2008.  I'm not sure how the system in the Av changed from 2008 through 2013.  I use a Liftmaster 8500C. 

The downside is that you lose all the fancy encryption and any dumb thief can get in your garage if they try hard enough.

FWIW I had to email Liftmaster tech support, and they replied the next day... on a Saturday.  So I wouldn't hesitate to ask them.  Tell Andre I said hi
Posted by: No Tyme
? on: February 16, 2018, 12:41:50 PM ?
Insert Quote

If you have only 1 light with you garage door buttons on the roof console you have a Homelink system. If you have a light for each button (3) then it is a Lear system.

I have 3 lights so I have the Lear system.  I knew that going into this.  According to the manual it should still work.  It's an opener from around 2000.  It works fine with the Homelink system in my 2004 AV.  Oh well, I guess I will order and try arepeater next.

Balzy said:
I have 3 lights so I have the Lear system.  I knew that going into this.  According to the manual it should still work.  It's an opener from around 2000.  It works fine with the Homelink system in my 2004 AV.  Oh well, I guess I will order and try arepeater next.
OK, now depending on the make of the opener and the year it was made will be what you need to determine next. For me I have 2 lift master openers, and I could tell just by looking at the control panel and observing the color of the "learn" buttons which told me the difference. Let us know what brand of opener you have.
For me the orange button was the older system and the yellow button was the newer encrypted system.

Did the Lear system repeater work for you?

No Tyme said:
I had a Homelink repeater and sold it on eBay last week. It did NOT work with my 13 Av. The reason is I have a Lear system in the AV and most likely you do also. There is another repeater you may need to buy. I have one sitting here on my desk. It is for the Lear system. I'll let you know if it works. The 9 inches of snow we had has melted away and I can drive back to the barn today and try it.

I have a Moore-O-Matic opener with "MegaCode".  Installed around 2000.

No Tyme said:
OK, now depending on the make of the opener and the year it was made will be what you need to determine next. For me I have 2 lift master openers, and I could tell just by looking at the control panel and observing the color of the "learn" buttons which told me the difference. Let us know what brand of opener you have.
For me the orange button was the older system and the yellow button was the newer encrypted system.

Balzy said:
I have a Moore-O-Matic opener with "MegaCode".  Installed around 2000.
Ya, CAR2U REPEATER FOR GARAGE DOOR OPENER LEAR CAR2U RPTR LIFTMASTER CHAMBERLAIN Craftsman COMPATIBLE.
I would search for you garage door opener and see what they offer as this may not work for your brand.
Or Google this and see what it says for compatibility.
Comes with a small 1 button remote and a box that you plug in. Marry it to the garage door opener and then the car to the plug in module.

Maybe this will help.

https://moore-o-matic.garage-door-opener-parts.com/linear_access_links/programming_instructions/mdt123.asp

Thank you.  I had already found that page.  Like I said in another post.  "I think I wore the Internet out researching this one !!!"  LOL

No Tyme said:
Maybe this will help.

https://moore-o-matic.garage-door-opener-parts.com/linear_access_links/programming_instructions/mdt123.asp

Reviving an old thread, since I just picked up my 13' AV I'm totally bummed about this Lear module thing. If you buy it for your garage door opener and connect it are you still able to use the regular garage open clickers? Anyone here know? Thanks!

Back